General music discussion/sharing/recommendation thread

peener weener

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of Kimbra, she's collaborating with Ben Weinman, one of my favorite guitarists, on a song from her upcoming album. No word yet on which song that'll be.
Here's a performance of theirs from 2 years ago:

:

Edited by BuddyBoy

• 2 weeks later...

i've been getting into some east coast hip hop. so far digging illmatic, critical beatdown and it takes a nation of millions (all entry level i know, that's why i'm asking for stuff here). where do i go next? i've already got shit by wu tang (and all the associated acts) but i haven't listened to it yet. i haven't enjoyed any west coast i've heard.

also i've been listening to lots of powerviolence (larm, punch, siege, etc) if anyone's interested in talking that kind of shit with me.

as for powerviolence, i'm not sure if "The Inalienable Dreamless" by Discordance Axis and "Plague Soundscapes" by The Locust count, but i'm fond of those albums, and i'm aware of Punch because of the Deathwish connection. are there any particular powerviolence albums you'd recommend?

while i'm here, i may as well post what i'm listening to.
[spoiler=Dizzee Rascal]

i'm in love with his first 2 albums, but his last 3 haven't really been my thing, at least not as much

i've been getting into some east coast hip hop. so far digging illmatic, critical beatdown and it takes a nation of millions (all entry level i know, that's why i'm asking for stuff here). where do i go next? i've already got shit by wu tang (and all the associated acts) but i haven't listened to it yet. i haven't enjoyed any west coast i've heard.

also i've been listening to lots of powerviolence (larm, punch, siege, etc) if anyone's interested in talking that kind of shit with me.

I'll just give you a bunch of entry level stuff from the East Coast

Albums you actually need to listen to and set time aside for Wu-Tang include: Enter The Wu Tang (36 Chambers), Only Built For Cuban Linx (1 and 2), Iron Man, Supreme Clientele, Fishscale, Liquid Swords, Tical, Blackout (1 and 2), Return To The 36 Chambers: The Dirty Version

Nas - It Was Written (on par with Illmatic IMO), Stillmatic

Jay-Z- Reasonable Doubt, The Blueprint and The Black Album.

A Tribe Called Quest - The Low End Theory, Beats Rhymes and Life and Midnight Marauders

Mos Def - Black on Both Sides, Mos Def and Talib Kweli are Black Star

The Notorious B.I.G - Ready to Die, Life After Death

Eric B and Rakim - Follow The Leader

Big Daddy Kane - Long Live the Kane

De La Soul - 3 ft. High and Rising

50 Cent - Get Rich or Die Tryin

DMX - It's Dark and Hell Is Hot, Flesh of My Flesh Blood of My Blood

Everything by The Roots

big list

thanks a lot man!

as for powerviolence, i'm not sure if "The Inalienable Dreamless" by Discordance Axis and "Plague Soundscapes" by The Locust count, but i'm fond of those albums, and i'm aware of Punch because of the Deathwish connection. are there any particular powerviolence albums you'd recommend?

Discordance Axis are pretty straight grind and The Locust are just a weird band altogether. definitely check out Punch's s/t LP, it's one of my favourite pv albums from lately.

for other recommendations, i'll put out:

coke bust - fuck bar culture 7" and lines in the sand

full of hell - the roots of earth are consuming my home

siege - drop dead

rape revenge - paper cage

extortion - degenerate

iron lung - life. iron lung. death

despise you - west side horizon

capitalist casualties - s/t

man is the bastard - thoughtless

sorry if that list is a bit overwhelming. also i'm warning you now that there's a lot of far leftist (feminist, vegan, etc) themes in the genre which i know is offputting to some.

Edited by bonesaw

coke bust - fuck bar culture 7" and lines in the sand

full of hell - the roots of earth are consuming my home

siege - drop dead

rape revenge - paper cage

extortion - degenerate

iron lung - life. iron lung. death

despise you - west side horizon

capitalist casualties - s/t

man is the bastard - thoughtless

Hey, thanks for the list! My favorite was definitely Siege. It's a shame they weren't more prolific; their frontman just owns. Killer album. The chunks of "Thoughtless" on yt were excellent, so i'll check out more Man is the Bastard for sure. Punch too. And Fuck Bar Culture.

i was pretty far off with my original guesses. like, could i not be bothered to wiki search 'powerviolence' first? all the wiser now, tho.

I haven't gotten to the Wu-Tang and Roots stuff (yet), but i listened through every album in between. So much quality here. Reasonable Doubt might be my favorite of the bunch - that production... and Brooklyn's Finest, maaan..., Illmatic of course, Black Star, Midnight Marauders had some great moments, "Set it Off" by Big Daddy Kane kicks ass. Among others.

It's also nice to actually listen to GRODT. I only knew of him as a Famous Personâ„¢ who recently did this, but some of the songs on there are just a joy to hear.

also

[spoiler=DMX Makes Me Smile]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0sU1aG7kBM

Edited by BuddyBoy

Albums you actually need to listen to and set time aside for Wu-Tang include: Enter The Wu Tang (36 Chambers), Only Built For Cuban Linx (1 and 2), Iron Man, Supreme Clientele, Fishscale, Liquid Swords, Tical, Blackout (1 and 2), Return To The 36 Chambers: The Dirty Version

Nas - It Was Written (on par with Illmatic IMO), Stillmatic

Jay-Z- Reasonable Doubt, The Blueprint and The Black Album.

A Tribe Called Quest - The Low End Theory, Beats Rhymes and Life and Midnight Marauders

Mos Def - Black on Both Sides, Mos Def and Talib Kweli are Black Star

The Notorious B.I.G - Ready to Die, Life After Death

Eric B and Rakim - Follow The Leader

Big Daddy Kane - Long Live the Kane

De La Soul - 3 ft. High and Rising

50 Cent - Get Rich or Die Tryin

DMX - It's Dark and Hell Is Hot, Flesh of My Flesh Blood of My Blood

Everything by The Roots

no love for mobb deep? :P i know, the list is big enough already

juvenile hall, the infamous

I like to listen to gothic metal, my favorite band being Delain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8S1-H-LL_tM

I also like listening to Nemesea, Within Temptation, Leave's Eyes, Unsun, Tarja, etc.

other than that I mostly listen to foreign rock and symphony, my favorite composer is Motoi Sakuraba

• 1 month later...

listening to this shit (attached image) for the first time. i'm torn between "this is terrible" and "some songs are decent"

edit: some songs are decent. spoken word stuff is hilarious.

[spoiler=luda!]

post-389-0-23775200-1407696565_thumb.jpg

Edited by Phoenix Wright