General music discussion/sharing/recommendation thread

peener weener

Revolver is, in my opinion, the greatest Beatles album. (even though it has one of my least favorite Beatles song, Yellow Submarine) Next would either be Sgt. Pepper's or Abbey Road. Rubber Soul is up there too.

Have another. This one's really mellow, which I dig.

Edited by Gemma

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More Starsailor!

^ Gamers; you may recognize this.

the wiki on this is hilarious and sad. hilarious because stellastarr = starsailor to kojima, sad because a space theme in a mg game would have knocked my socks off...

one of my favourites during my "indie" days, seeing them live was awesome, always a sucker for a good light show.

what would you say your "days" are occupied mostly with now? you've said this a couple times, now, so i'm curious haha

[spoiler=bird courage -- hold it up to the sky]

I never had a full-on indie phase/days, but some friends tried really hard to get me into indie music and a few random things stuck.

[spoiler=Shine a Light]

I like this one a lot, and the cheap effects in the video are pretty amusing.

[spoiler=Dinner Bell]

their best song IMO (that I've heard, anyway, they have so many)

[spoiler=Australia]

He has a pleasant voice.

EDIT

Maybe this song is up your alley? That's all I know about this particular subgenre, though.

Edited by BuddyBoy

gustavo cerati died yesterday, after being comatose for 4 years. possibly the single biggest figure in argentine music. i never really listened to his music very in-depth but he was a legend.

[spoiler=sodastereo]

[spoiler=solo]

he was sorta like the argentine david bowie in that his style went all over the place, and also that he did tons of coke

i hate modern indie music. this is indie music

new order

the replacements

R.E.M

the smiths

[spoiler=Dinner Bell]

their best song IMO (that I've heard, anyway, they have so many)

i love they might be giants

Edited by Aizenberg

I wouldn't call the Replacements and The Smiths indie bands (though they're both insanely talented).

The Replacements have always been a punk band to me, albeit with a very different cut to their jib at times.

There's a ton of popular bands that owe their entire existence to them though (The Goo Goo Dolls, the Gaslight Anthem...)

the wiki on this is hilarious and sad. hilarious because stellastarr = starsailor to kojima, sad because a space theme in a mg game would have knocked my socks off...

what would you say your "days" are occupied mostly with now? you've said this a couple times, now, so i'm curious haha

[spoiler=bird courage -- hold it up to the sky]

Currently in rotation:

Dark rnb (eg. The Weeknd/PARTYNEXTDOOR)

Hair metal

Blues

Random old country songs

If i'm a fan of a hip hop artist i'll listen to their new stuff

I know I'm like 20 years late but I just got into Nirvana and they're pretty good. Been listening to this one all day.

Picking a favorite Beatles album is really hard, there's like an 8-way tie there. My least is probably Beatles For Sale but even that has some great tracks on it. I know they get worshiped by people sometimes but they're still my #1 band.

Edited by Alertcircuit

Currently in rotation:

Dark rnb (eg. The Weeknd/PARTYNEXTDOOR)

Hair metal

Blues

Random old country songs

If i'm a fan of a hip hop artist i'll listen to their new stuff

hair metal? i find that kinda funny haha. steel panther is a pretty funny (imo) 1980s style hair metal band.

probably my favorite modern-blues musician:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kRR3xwgLSU

Check out his songs Heavenly Father and Shot You Down on that same mixtape

I love what Heavenly Father becomes once the 3rd verse kicks in, good calls.

Might as well dump a quality St. Vincent performance here. Her album and FKA twigs's are two of my favorites that've come out this year.

https://screen.yahoo.com/st-vincent-digital-witness-065207015.html

finally got around to listening to FKA twigs' lp. it's absolutely fucking fantastic.

HIGHER THAN A MOTHAFUCKA

Dude, she's the best. Also, that song has been stuck in my head for a while now.

Edited by Esme