General music discussion/sharing/recommendation thread

peener weener

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm actually pretty surprised "Rather Be" by Clean Bandit has not been brought up. Well, my taste in music must differ greatly from those hear!

But I hear millions of times on the radio, and has 100,000,000+ views on youtube... so why not?

[spoiler=Rather Be]

Honestly never knew about them until after this song was released. But after doing some research on them, I realized that almost ALL of their songs are not like the usual "Verse 1, Chorus, Verse 2, Chorus, Bridge, Chorus". They're like a techno band that doesn't have much singing, but Rather Be was sang with Jess Glynne, so I guess that's why this song is much different than their others.

Got some stuff to share? I've never heard of it before :O

some artists like the squeaks and skwonks a little too much. pharoah sanders, though i've heard little, seem to be pretty darn good. this is the only tune i've heard from albert ayler.

lots of squeaks and skwonks: http://youtu.be/m335VRIaqTc?t=7m24s (great song though)

This song is not-that-free free jazz compared to some other parts of the album (it's a good album, btw)
[spoiler=Matana Roberts]

Speaking of good albums, I've been attacking my backlog this week. I finally got around to Acid Rap.
[spoiler=Acid Rain]

If anyone here knows a band that has the same style as the Metal Gear Rising OST, I'd be grateful to know. Examples for those who haven't played:

Oh neat~ The second one was a little too... uhh... free for my taste, though.

Here's something from Ray Manzarek

oh snap, this was kind of amazing. he seems to have an infatuation with whatever this is called/sound this is. i love it.

This song is not-that-free free jazz compared to some other parts of the album (it's a good album, btw)

[spoiler=Matana Roberts]

Speaking of good albums, I've been attacking my backlog this week. I finally got around to Acid Rap.

[spoiler=Acid Rain]

this was...interesting. definitely an odd song, but not bad by any means. she is fantastic with her instrument. also, chance is so good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZSxZHMkZWM

I absolutely love this album. Give it a listen if you're into prog rock at all.

yep, this is their best album right here, imo. and yes' work is damn impressive from the 5 or so albums that i've heard.

a wonderful cover of eminence front, imo. i wish i could have seen him live. ahhh michael hedges why did you pass before your time? T_T

[starts at 1:35]

Edited by Phoenix Wright

Has anyone ever heard of Starsailor? I recommend their albums Love Is Here, Silence Is Easy, and On The Outside but here are a few gems from their lesser albums (and one from Silence is Easy):

I like "Bring my Love". Very nice minor-key sound, and sounded amazing! If only it were longer...

This post is more of a connection to my post earlier, since I only posted the audio version and not the music video. idk if they were trying to copy Star Wars or Star Trek, because I saw a light-saber, but Ariana was beamed up... hmm...

Present-day trash is nothing compared to the olden days. If I were old enough to grow up LISTENING to that kind of music, I don't think I'd be listening to the trash my friends are listening to xD.

Edited by Carter

Present-day trash is nothing compared to the olden days. If I were old enough to grow up LISTENING to that kind of music, I don't think I'd be listening to the trash my friends are listening to xD.

oh dear. here we go again.

i mean, technically this thread is for discussion, but this shit is older than the internet

oh snap, this was kind of amazing. he seems to have an infatuation with whatever this is called/sound this is. i love it.

I believe it's a synthesizer? Not entirely positive. (Ray was a keyboardist after all) But yeah, Moorish Idol is one of my favorite songs. The album (The Golden Scarab) is a little... wacky, I might say, but this track is a gem.

Quick, favorite Beatles song GO

Has anyone ever heard of Starsailor? I recommend their albums Love Is Here, Silence Is Easy, and On The Outside but here are a few gems from their lesser albums (and one from Silence is Easy):

nope, but they're pretty decent based off of those songs. i'm not sure if others will feel this way, but the singer sounds like the singer from arctic monkeys to me.

i feel like this is sarcastic, but if not:

there's terrific music in every decade/era/whatever. you just gotta look.

pop music in particular has generally been simple and corny since like the 50s, probably earlier depending on who you're talking to. that's why it's wonderful sometimes--it's easy listenin'. i don't always need or want to be engaged and profoundly affected when i listen to music.

also, can't it be a reference to both (and other things)?

I believe it's a synthesizer? Not entirely positive. (Ray was a keyboardist after all) But yeah, Moorish Idol is one of my favorite songs. The album (The Golden Scarab) is a little... wacky, I might say, but this track is a gem.

Quick, favorite Beatles song GO

ah, makes sense.

i'm gonna go on a purchasing/downloading spree soon. this topic and /mu/ are both a blessing and a curse...