I still don't get the praise of this game...

if anyone wants to know, this is how i feel about its story.

i mean, you can't tell me that the writers intended for this game's story to be taken lightly with a grain of salt but to me they fell flat when they didn't pace itself well or explain some of the stuff.

You do realize a game can have both serious and lighter sections? It doesn't have to be just one or the other. I'd sooner bet the writers wanted a quicker paced story most could enjoy without scaring people off with giant walls of text between chapters like they did in the last original Fire Emblem game and almost the one before(given PoR was only 1/3 of the story they wanted to tell).

Edited by arvilino

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You do realize a game can have both serious and lighter sections? It doesn't have to be just one or the other. I'd sooner bet the writers wanted a quicker paced story most could enjoy without scaring people off with giant walls of text between chapters like they did in the last original Fire Emblem game and almost the one before(given PoR was only 1/3 of the story they wanted to tell).

well of course it can you big silly goose, i just didn't think awakening's story did the serious and lighter sections very well.

taking a look at the story, nothing really was at risk, nothing was lost, important people came back to life somehow or never died in the first place somehow.

everything can come out all hunky dory with nothing bad happening, no real trials to go threw, no real suffering, nothing was really lost that the game's story considers important

a game or anime or book or movie that's too scared to make any of its characters go threw long lasting struggles has failed in any attempt for it to be taken seriously to me, and that's my opinion.

edit: before some smart ass says 'but the game story's did have long lasting effects" i'm going to say right now that not a single BAD long term effect happens in the story for the good guys.

Edited by HF Makalov Fanboy Kai

well of course it can you big silly goose, i just didn't think awakening's story did the serious and lighter sections very well.

taking a look at the story, nothing really was at risk, nothing was lost, important people came back to life somehow or never died in the first place somehow.

everything can come out all hunky dory with nothing bad happening, no real trials to go threw, no real suffering, nothing was really lost that the game's story considers important

a game or anime or book or movie that's too scared to make any of its characters go threw long lasting struggles has failed in any attempt for it to be taken seriously to me, and that's my opinion.

edit: before some smart ass says 'but the game story's did have long lasting effects" i'm going to say right now that not a single BAD long term effect happens in the story for the good guys.

I wouldn't go that far. As was said...somewhere Emmeryn is effectively dead even with the amnesia. The person who she was before is gone and all they have now is a brain damaged vegetable who requires constant care, and that's not really a lot of fun. Phila also doesn't get to come back to life..It's still bad and long term...

I don't see what people really expect out of Awakening.

I mean I understand that you really just can't relate to the game's story because some people really can't take it seriously even if they tried.

Taking it on the surface, it's "good enough".

While the story might not be what Awakening excelled the most at, it still did many a thing correctly. And while I did not particularly care for some of the directions the game took, the fact remains that comparatively it sold very well and perhaps even saved the series from it's potential end.

I did have many problems with the story overall, but it's not like I didn't have any with some of the past games'. It's passable enough, and we can't really do anything to change it. I hope they don't take the same direction again as they did with this game, but I will still say that it was a damn good game and that there is no denying the good it did for the potential future of the series.

any time bro.

though to be fair the same thing happened with me, except i noticed all this stuff by myself

To be fair, I noticed said flaws in Japanese before everyone else and still loved said story anyway.

You guys have taken one of my favorite games, deconstruction it, and now it sucks because I can't stop noticing its flaws. Thank you Awakening thread.

Uncross those cynical arms of yours and get back on that horse.

Yup, Awakening has its flaws, but it wouldn't be some kind of sunk-cost fallacy to keep investing time in it and enjoying it. I mean, it's not like there's a flawless game out there. I prefer the mushy "every game is a snowflake" approach.

Edited by BuddyBoy

Again, would somebody point out the plot holes to me?

I noticed loads of conveniences and such, but I didn't see any real (canon, not from pairings) plot hole. I don't know,did I really pay so little attention or do you guys use the term in a different way?

Emmeryn would be considered dead literally until the end of the game. Here's a question, what exactly where your thoughts on that specific plotpoint between chapter 10, finishing the game and the release "A hard miracle?".

Edited by arvilino

Again, would somebody point out the plot holes to me?

I noticed loads of conveniences and such, but I didn't see any real (canon, not from pairings) plot hole. I don't know,did I really pay so little attention or do you guys use the term in a different way?

I agree that "plot hole" is used too loosely, especially to describe just general vagueness.

It seems like there could be a few actual plot holes when it comes to pairings involving MU or Morgan. Some of those can be chalked up to "uhhh, time travel shenanigans?" but I think the supports with MU as Owain's dad are hard to explain away: http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=40773

Edited by BuddyBoy

Emmeryn would be considered dead literally until the end of the game. Here's a question, what exactly where your thoughts on that specific plotpoint between chapter 10, finishing the game and the release "A hard miracle?".

Considering that her death only seemed to result in good things happening for the Shepherds and their Ferox allies...

And the fact that her death was just the end logical result of Emmeryn's terrible decisions that only seemed to get worse over time...

And the fact that her death was just the end logical result of Emmeryn's terrible decisions that only seemed to get worse over time...

Because it's logical that means it can't be tragic? Emmeryn's ultimate demise is the direct result of poor decisions and actions that she brought upon herself. During her fall, she says "No reaction... was I wrong, then?". That's the realization that her actions and demise are her fault. She fits the definition of a tragic character.

I agree that "plot hole" is used too loosely, especially to describe just general vagueness.

It seems like there could be a few actual plot holes when it comes to pairings involving MU or Morgan. Some of those can be chalked up to "uhhh, time travel shenanigans?" but I think the supports with MU as Owain's dad are hard to explain away: http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=40773

Well, those are not canon though. In the factual events there is nothing I'd call a hole.

Regarding Emmeryn, she might be a tragic character, sure, but her being so bland and taking such stupid decisions prevented me from cherishing her in any way, her death didn't mean anything at all to me. If the killed character was better characterized, and would have died from taking the wrong action, I would have been more shocked.

that reminds me, i think i mentioned in another thread how a good amount of the MU children supports don't make sense cause he/she's kinda too busy being grima and destroying the world to be raising children to fight...well...grima...which is also his/herself.

Edited by HF Makalov Fanboy Kai

that reminds me, i think i mentioned in another thread how a good amount of the MU children supports don't make sense cause he/she's kinda too busy being grima and destroying the world to be raising children to fight...well...grima...which is also his/herself.

The Avatar is pretty much a walking plot hole machine

If he has two childs, i.e. Morgan and another, then there is a hole I believe. That doesn't concern relationships though where he only has Morgan. We know next to nothing about Morgan, nor about his future. Everything we say about him is just based on assumptions.
I always marry my MU to Severa or Tiki, so I have a next to plot-hole less file^^ Other pairs might cause some, but I don't remember all the support convos between them and their kids.

Edited by domme008

Because it's logical that means it can't be tragic? Emmeryn's ultimate demise is the direct result of poor decisions and actions that she brought upon herself. During her fall, she says "No reaction... was I wrong, then?". That's the realization that her actions and demise are her fault. She fits the definition of a tragic character.

No, it's just frustrating watching her make decisions are bad on paper and turn to be just as bad in reality. Jumping off the cliff was the only right decision she made but it was the only real decision she could have made in that situation other than just accepting death. A tragic character who dies has to make you feel bad that they died despite making the right decisions. I only felt relieved when Emmeryn died.

This is incredibly offtopic, so do forgive me, but may I ask you Ranger what you consider to be the good and bad points of Shadow Dragon? I haven't played it, so I was curious.

This is incredibly offtopic, so do forgive me, but may I ask you Ranger what you consider to be the good and bad points of Shadow Dragon? I haven't played it, so I was curious.

I'm not going to pretend it has the deepest or best characterization but it has enough to set my imagination rolling and get me interested. To stay on topic, the characters in this game have 10x the dialogue but I ended up hating most of them for one reason or another. Back to SD, great world building. And a god tier localization. As for the bad, I'm sure you've heard of it enough.