Remakes: Are there too many right now?

Anacybele

@ the thread title's question: Well, I don't see a Majora's Mask remake anywhere on shelves. So, no, there aren't enough remakes. Just 1 more. 1 more remake plz. ;_;

I never said Awakening was a remake. But it uses a lot of elements from older games. That's a thing I'm getting a little tired of too.

It doesn't use enough of them. From a mechanics standpoint, Thracia 776 had a shitton going for it.

Remakes are a plague to originality and innovation. Push forward instead of looking back and trying to fix your mess.

Tell this to GF. Instead of focusing on the inevitable Pokémon Z, they waste time remaking a game based on obsolete world building and mechanics.

The Resident Evil remake on the GameCube is hands down the best remake I've played. It changed and improved so much from the original PS1 game that it did feel like a new experience. Pokémon tends to get remakes right too. I'm fine with those kinds of remakes, because I can justify spending money on a game I've already played if it's basically a new game. I'd even consider Shadow Dragon a good remake based on that. I haven't played the original, but the class system was obviously not as deep and there was less dialogue and so on.

I don't like remakes that are more like remasters-- basically just polished graphics and little new content. It's why I don't own OoT3D even though I love the game. Wind Waker HD seems to be similar, and so, I'd guess, would MM3D (although I'm still curious about the potential). It just feels like a quick cash grab compared to what they could have done and to how drastic other remakes of other games have been.

Edited by Owain Dark

Tell this to GF. Instead of focusing on the inevitable Pokémon Z, they waste time remaking a game based on obsolete world building and mechanics.

And the problem with that is...?

Don't see how they're 'wasting their time' by remaking R/S/E.

Edited by ZM©

I don't mind remakes really and I don't mind that there is demand for them. My only issue is when people demand remakes instead of a true sequel. For example, people who'd prefer to see a Majora's Mask remake and marvel over nostalgia rather than actually potentially progress with the Zelda series. To clarify, a person who thinks that a game series should have no more sequels and just remakes. This is annoyingly present in large portions of the Pokemon and Mario fan-base and I think it needs to stop.

i would argue that remaking these games would be a perfect opportunity to show people what it would be like to play the game without the obsolete worldbuilding and mechanics

Ocarina of Time usually works better on a emulator than Majora's Mask. (By this I'm talking about the Official Nintendo emulators found in Virtual Consoles titles)

Majora's Mask has some minor graphical glitches on the Wii VC version. (Probably because the original N64 game uses the expansion pack) (Also no rumble available, same for OOT)

Edited by Naughx

I want - no, NEED - an Ace Combat 4/5/0 HD collector's edition. I would throw my money at Namco if they could just do this one thing for us diehard fans of the series.

As for remakes themselves in general, I'm not bothered. It gives some people a chance to play a bit of gaming history for the first time in their lives, often in glorious HD, so I can't really see a downside to it.

i would argue that remaking these games would be a perfect opportunity to show people what it would be like to play the game without the obsolete worldbuilding and mechanics

Judging by their past remakes, I wouldn't put my money on it.

Your stance is that they shouldn't remake old games, but instead release upgraded versions of current games. That is a dumb stance.

As for remakes themselves in general, I'm not bothered. It gives some people a chance to play a bit of gaming history for the first time in their lives, often in glorious HD, so I can't really see a downside to it.

Especially since a lot of great older games have either aged horribly, or are nearly impossible to find legally.

Edited by Alg

Judging by their past remakes, I wouldn't put my money on it.

wow

pokemon gold/silver are by far my least favorite pokemon games, yet I feel HG/SS are great. You seem to be on the minority here, because from what i've seen, most people consider their remakes great improvements

I don't think so. The older games were some of the greatest, and Nintendo is remaking them for the younger generation to enjoy as they are pretty inaccessible otherwise barring a VC release. I believe this is the main reason Nintendo is putting out so many remakes.

I think that Pokemon might be overdoing the remakes, but that's it. Games like Starfox and FE are pretty reasonable, though - their characters gained popularity after SSB, so a lot of fans wanted to play their games but couldn't. FE especially, since Marth's original games were never localized outside of Japan. (surprised EarthBound hasn't gotten remakes yet)

The nostalgia factor coupled with amazing graphics and mechanics is fantastic for a lot of these remakes. Also, having games "play heavily off of" existing titles isn't a negative at all. I would say that that should be praised. The only game to really do this is LBW, anyway, which is a great game.

Yeah on the topic of availability factoring into remakes, Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald and actually all of gen 3 are plagued by bootleggers. I'd say like 9/10 gen 3 games listed on ebay are bootlegs that probably just don't work properly. So if you like hard copies, and wanna play gen 3, you have to like really really look and educate yourself on the signs of bootlegged copies. I myself gave up purchasing online and just asked around friend groups until I found one with a copy they wanted to sell.

So in the case of ORAS, I'm cool with it so future people can experience Hoenn without having the gut-wrenching moment where your save file of maybe even 50 hours, eats itself after beating the Elite Four.

I think that Pokemon might be overdoing the remakes, but that's it. Games like Starfox and FE are pretty reasonable, though - their characters gained popularity after SSB, so a lot of fans wanted to play their games but couldn't. FE especially, since Marth's original games were never localized outside of Japan. (surprised EarthBound hasn't gotten remakes yet)

I'm not sure but Eathbound was known as more of an Itoi project than a Nintendo project so maybe they don't want to step on that.

Edited by Alertcircuit

wow

pokemon gold/silver are by far my least favorite pokemon games, yet I feel HG/SS are great. You seem to be on the minority here, because from what i've seen, most people consider their remakes great improvements

I loved GSC and felt HGSS did them justice, but HGSS has all of the flaws of GSC. Low level curve, low level wild Pokémon, same rosters as the original games. Grinding to fight Red is the same chore in this game as it was in the original. Sometimes I feel GF wants to tease our nostalgic feelings too much.

The problem isn't that they improve things, but that they don't improve the flaws of the originals. I'm already expecting Norman to have his three Slakings instead of his much more balanced Emerald roster, because their mentality is "Ruby was like that, so we can't change it". At least this probably means Steven will be the Champion again.

I have to agree with Bird Jesus on this. And isn't one of the points of remakes to IMPROVE the games? I never played the original GSC, but I didn't like how low-level the wild Pokemon were, how much of a chore it was to grind to battle Red, and other things.

Get the gym leaders' numbers and rebattle them. Way more efficient than grinding against wild Pokemon, and considering you can recall a gym leader during a specific day at a specific time of the day until it changes...

A team of level 65 Pokemon can easily take down Red, and by the time you defeat Blue, your Pokemon's levels should be around the late 50s.

Edited by ZM©

this should probably not be the time I say that I haven't needed to grind in a pokemon game since RSE/FRLG

the way to level up things is much easier than it was in the original; I remember battling lance like 20 or 30 times after beating the 16 gyms to prepare for Red in crystal version. Here you actually have the powered up E4 and access to rebattle the gym leaders fairly early.

but maybe some people think they need to grind more than others do?

I've been waiting like 5 years now for a MM remake. How much longer, Nintendo? ;_;

And it's not just for the pretty graphics, my N64 doesnt work and its my favorite game, so yeah.

Edited by PKL