The FE8 Tower, how to fix it?

Klokinator

So, I was thinking about ways I could change the FE8 tower so it's not just this incredible cheesing thing you can abuse endlessly for good items and etc. I have a small list of possibilities, and I'd take any of them but I have them prioritized from top to bottom in order I want most.

1. Edit the tower and ruins so you can only play them after beating the final chapter. All levels will be unlocked but you can't enter them at all until beating the full game.

2. Make the Tower only unlock after you unlock chapter 20. Basically, it will unlock and appear on the world map at the same time the Ruins do.

3. Edit the enemies inside to just be insanely hard and only beatable with post-game characters. I can already do this but it's my least desired solution.

Okay, any ideas?

has the list for random items been found? could try changing that, only put the good items on the furthest floors

additionally, make some custom classes for monsters and give them very low experience gain (doesn't that affect exp given? never really tested)

very difficult enemies, etcetera

Edited by Lamia

I think a good idea would be to make it so that you can't repeat levels in the tower until you've beaten postgame. That provides some small amounts of training without allowing people to grind endlessly on the first floor. And then also buff the enemies (and have them scale as you go up) so that the training actually requires thought.

I'm actually fine with making the early floors drop good items, since I don't believe making the player spend 40 minutes getting something makes the "something" in particular have an inherently higher value, it just makes the game more tedious. I just want to be able to balance the main storyline based on the premise of "the player won't be abusing their characters to 20/20 on chapter 10". If they're on or after chapter 20, I don't mind abuse here and there. As far as actual levels of the tower, I would want to make later levels even more "worth it", like being able to get additional S rank weapons on the final tower floor and additional S rank tomes on the final Ruins floor.

If push comes to shove, I can indeed just make the enemies way tougher. Would prefer to not do that though, so in postgame you can use the Tower to level your lowest leveled characters to 20/20 reliably. If the tower and ruins are both high-level characters only, your weak characters are stuck being crappy forever :(

If push comes to shove, I can indeed just make the enemies way tougher. Would prefer to not do that though, so in postgame you can use the Tower to level your lowest leveled characters to 20/20 reliably. If the tower and ruins are both high-level characters only, your weak characters are stuck being crappy forever :(

You've still got the wimpy map skirmishes that appear on early chapter locations for that, though.

Edited by L95

Didn't ryru figure out the world map events to some degree? Even if he didn't it shouldn't be impossible to figure them out our(your)selves.

Whether or not you can continue on to the next floor is controlled by a permanent Event ID, which is activated at the end of certain chapters, from C8 to C15.

The trigger for being able to move to floor 2 is controlled by Event ID 0x71, which is flipped at the end of Chapter 9:

_0x0229 0x72

Remove this from Chapter 9's ending events and move it to some other chapter, and the later floors will be locked until then.

You might be able to lock Floor 1 this way too, but it's tied in with world map events so that could be complicated. Remember that you can set character or class ID to give no XP with the Ability Byte 4.

Vennobennu came to the rescue after I PM'd him :O

If you want to lock up Floor 1, you might as well go to the world map events after "Lords Split" and remove either the line of code causing Valni to be shown on the world map or the line of code causing you to be able to access Valni from Border Mulan

_0x9540 0x0 0x1A 0x0
_0x9920

I doubt Klok knows or cares enough about hacking to actually do his own hacking research in new things lol

new? someone just posted how to do it right above me

If you want to lock up Floor 1, you might as well go to the world map events after "Lords Split" and remove either the line of code causing Valni to be shown on the world map or the line of code causing you to be able to access Valni from Border Mulan

_0x9540 0x0 0x1A 0x0
_0x9920

Could I copy that and move it to the chapter 20 events? That'd make the tower unlock at the same time as the ruins, correct?

Edited by Klok

Could I copy that and move it to the chapter 20 events? That'd make the tower unlock at the same time as the ruins, correct?

Yeah, taking it out of ch9 world map events and moving it to the first part of ch20 map events would make it unlock alongside the ruins