First time playing FE4

DragonLord

I've got some time on my hands recently, and I decided I would take some time to play Genealogy of the Holy War. I've heard some things about the game here and there, but I'm not sure what major things differentiates this game from the others that came after it.

What are some differences I will find in this game, and what are some tips for a newcomer? Keep in mind that I've played all the games from FE6 to FE13 already.

Most of it is either self explanatory, easy to infer from other fe games, told by an in game npc, or a spoiler(like some details of the children system, which is based on having people stand next to each other until they fall in love, although this does not give them points after turn 50). However, there are some items that can only be obtained by making specific characters do incredibly esoteric things. A list can be found at: http://www.serenesforest.net/fe4/secret.html Also here is a list of normal events: http://www.serenesforest.net/fe4/event.html THe game shows when two party members can talk, but the list is still helpful for recruitment conversations. Also, weapon ranks are fixed based on class and holy blood, characters can't double without the pursuit skill or critical without the critical skill. and getting more than 50 kills on a weapon(the number next to the star in the weapon description) gives it the critical skill and adds Number of kills-50 to crit rate(weapons can be repaired by paying money in this game).

Most of the unique mechanics you need to know about can be found in your home castle. You shouldn't miss out on anything if you look at the secret events pages on SF and what talk conversations are available in the unit menu.

You can deploy everyone and there are a limited amount of the same arena fights for each character (e.g. Sigurd fights the same 8 people, Not Sigurd 1 fights the same 8 people, not Sigurd 8047 fights the same 8 people, and so on). Also your characters can bang each other, I guess. And get jealous too. SO INNOVATIVE.

There is a save state-like function in this game so you can save turn-by-turn only at the beginning of each turn.

Keep an eye to weapons stats... if hard to remember how much attack speed are you gonna lose since weight stat gets substrated directly to your speed stat (you might see enemies with negative avoid)

Keep an eye for skills, pursuit activates if the attack speed is 1 higher than the opponent, slayer weapons like bows instead of triple might they get instant critical hit on enemies...

Critical hits double the unit ATK before substracting defense to your stats.

Alec has nihil skill and with a +1hp or def she can bait ayra in chapter 1 without dying (can someone help me here?)

Also i like sigurd to hold the elite/paragon ring even tho he wants the money that chapter...

Hope you enjoy the game.

Also, try not to read too much about the game or you will get spoiled, and this game's plot is good enough be worth leaving unspoiled. This game is not nearly as hard as many other FEs(although there are a few tough bits, like recruiting aria in chapter 1.), Also, it is pretty easy to use everyone in this game for at least long enough to determine how good they are, Note that the game is curved assuming you get everyone as far in the arena as possible(losing there leaves you at one hp)

Edited by sirmola

I think the most important thing to note about the game is the it is the most unusual entry of the series. Many things that an experienced Fire Emblem player might take for granted are handled entirely differently in this game. So expect the unexpected.

Also, I advice towards using the game's own save feature instead of only using the Savestats of the Emulator. It's nothing critical but the game tends to get a bit more glitchy when it doesn't get normally loaded every now and then.

The game's save feature is way more conventional then in the other Fire Emblem games.

This means that you save anywhere as long as you haven't moved any units during your turn. And those saves are not Quicksaves or something like that. They are entirely normal saves. So it all pretty much works like it does in an average JRPG.

But... this also means that there is no "Restart Chaper" feature. So it's a good idea to make a separate save at the beginning of each chapter.

You can't simply trade items between units. Property actually matters in this game. That's why each unit also has their own stash of money. In order to exchange items, you have to sell them first and then buy them back with a different unit.

There are two kinds of shops in each castle. Those that sell new items and those that sell items that were previously sold by your characters. So sold items never get lost.

Weapons can be repaired. In fact, they have to since the amount of items in the game are actually limited. They also don't disappear if they run out of charges. They simply turn into a broken weapon until they are repaired.

Weapon weight is beautifully uncomplicated in this game. Simply subtract the weight directly from the Speed value.

Promotions work quite a bit differently in this game.

Once a unit hits level 20, you can have them promoted at the home castle. There is no need for items or anything like that.

Promotion does not reset levels. They are still level 20+ after promotion. Btw, the Maximum level is 30.

Also, the promotion bonuses are exactly as high as the difference between the stat caps of the two classes. So if a unit would have capped all their stats before they promote, they would still have all their stats capped afterwards. So you don't need to worry about loosing any stats if you don't promote as early as possible.

Also, certain units start promoted despite being at a level that is lower then 20. For example, your Lord Sigurd actually starts promoted. He still gets just as much EXP as an unpromoted unit with the same level.

With only a few exceptions, enemies always move in squads. These squads are centred around a leader. Said leader gives a leadership bonus towards Avoid and Hit towards all allies up to 3 tiles away depending on the amounts of Leadership Stars they possess. Also, enemy leaders can actually retreat and collect reinforcements from their castle.

Sigurd is a leader too. He has two Leadership Stars.

Before you finish a map, always check the status menu in order to see if there are any open conversations between your units, so you don't miss out on any items or something.

And while spoilers are evil and all, I would definitely advice to look up how to recruit Ira/Ayra. I mean, it's not difficult to figure it out but it's difficult to acknowledge that you are seriously expected to pull a stunt like that. Especially since it's so early into the game.

Some minor stuff:

To go a bit more into detail into Leadership: Said bonus is a 10% boast for Avoid and Hit for the first two leadership stars and plus 10% for each successive star. Having only one star doesn't actually give any bonuses.

In order to check what Holy Blood a unit has, press A on their status menu.

Churches completely restore your health at the beginning of the turn but they take money for each hitpoint.

Normal grunts normally don't have any skills. Since you need the Pursuit skill to double attack and the Critical skill for critical hits this also means that normal grunts can't do these things. So just because you carry a heavy weapon, you don't have to get doubled all the time.

However, certain classes have always certain skills. For example every Myrmidons has Pursuit.

You can't actually raise your weapon level by normal means. It's entirely dependant on the class. So besides changing into a different class through promotion, characters will only have a higher weapon level if they possess certain types of Holy Blood. Minor Holy Blood raises a weapon type by one level. Major puts it right to Max level.

Edited by BrightBow

This game is not nearly as hard as many other FEs(although there are a few tough bits, like recruiting aria in chapter 1.)

Hmm... What flies with max evasion and maximum defensive stats along with ability to steal health. Oh, and increased movement? I know there is the one wind magic available, but they are still a pain.

If you kill 50 enemies with the same weapon, your weapon gains the Critical skill. The Silver Sword in the Prologue is the best candidate for this, along with the Hero Sword on Chapter 3.

Also, I can't believe that everyone forgot the most important advice, which is to spam Sigurd, and to slap on him every item you get in order to optimize inheritance.

Edited by Xator Nova

Hmm... What flies with max evasion and maximum defensive stats along with ability to steal health. Oh, and increased movement? I know there is the one wind magic available, but they are still a pain.

I would agree that this is one of the tough bits, although by that point, you have enough tricks up your sleeve that it is cheezable. I honestly had more trouble in other places. My overall point is that this game is easier than many others, so if you could defeat them, you can do this without needing excessive help. Also, all of the pairings hinted at by conversations are usable, if not always 100% optimal.

I'll once again give the advice I give all new FE4 players

1. Make a second save file. You can't restart chapters.

2. Use Fin.

3. If you don't want to be spoiled don't come back to this topic until you finish the game. I swear this topic will start humble and then turn into a debate of who's the best pairings. I paired random people my first time and had no clue of the results. I had a blast.

The other posts give good advice too.

• 4 weeks later...

One MAJOR difference is that this game is leagues above the rest!! This is the greatest Fire Emblem ever created (possibly the best game ever created) so go nuts!!!!!!

One MAJOR difference is that this game is leagues above the rest!! This is the greatest Fire Emblem ever created (possibly the best game ever created) so go nuts!!!!!!

That doesn't count, because it is caused by the other differences (and is completely subjective anyway). In other words, many people might disagree with the fact that this difference even exists. Therefore you must convince them without simply stating it.

Spam the fuck out of Sigurd. #noshame

Looking into pairings can be pretty fun too.

From what i understand, sigurd, is quite posibly the best fe lord (if you count how long he is good for. If not, celice and ike are better) Disclamer: i have not played the telious games do to cost and a unwillingness to illegaly play what i can theoreticaly obtain legaly.

Also, the pairings actualy give this game a lot of replay value.

From what i understand, sigurd, is quite posibly the best fe lord (if you count how long he is good for. If not, celice and ike are better) Disclamer: i have not played the telious games do to cost and a unwillingness to illegaly play what i can theoreticaly obtain legaly.

Also, the pairings actualy give this game a lot of replay value.

Lol it's fucking Sigurd. Neither Celice nor Ike start mounted with murderous bases and amazing growths and access to 2 weapon types along with great ranks in said weapon types. Then he gets the Turfing which was tailor-made to rape chapter 5. He is just too much.

ike doesn't come close but celice does if you set up his inheritance properly

celice's earlygame is pretty much the same thing if you pass down the silver sword (except no horse); it's actually better than sigurd's if you pass down all the stat rings like draft/ltc players do. celice's mid-lategame is also a bit better than sigurd's

Edited by CT075

People consider Sigurd to be better because his surrounding cast is much worse, can you imagine if you had Oifaye instead of of Cuan in gen 1? And Oifaye isn't as good in gen 2 as Cuan is in gen 1.

The father-son duo are at a point where anyone else going with them literally slows them down, but RD Ike is no slouch. Relative to the enemies his start is about as good, and has the best endgame thanks to 1-2 range.

People consider Sigurd to be better because his surrounding cast is much worse, can you imagine if you had Oifaye instead of of Cuan in gen 1? And Oifaye isn't as good in gen 2 as Cuan is in gen 1.

I disagree. Oifaye has a lot more going for him compared to Cuan. Oifaye has Pursuit, and light weight swords in a game where swords are basically the most important weapon type. Cuan on the other hand, faces WTD for the Prologue and Chapter 1, and really never fights a lot of sword-users, except for maybe Beowulf's squad. He also has Continue, which while nice is definitely no Pursuit. On top of that, 8 units from the Prologue are mounted, which means Cuan has a lot of competition considering he's also a pre-promote and the player likely wants the other units to get a large amount of exp. Oifaye is just as good through to endgame and actually stays with the party, so it's not like the player has a reason to avoid using him. Oifaye's only competition for mounted units is Delmud, Lester, Fee, Aless, and maybe Johan depending if the player recruits him.. Sure, Shanan and maybe Holsety!Arthur show up, but they're still foot units in a game where we want high movement. Aless does have him beat though, considering it's a mounted Holy Weapon.

All in all, I'd say Oifaye is much more useful than Cuan, considering Weapon Availability, Chapter Availability, less mounted units to have to compete against, and Skills. His Armorslayer is also very useful in Chapter 6 where we have a handful of armor knights on the path to the first castle and our units probably don't have enough damage to one-round them without taking a counter considering their dodge is still very low.

i find generally when celice gets the leg ring oifaye never does anything in chapter 6

the other mounted units in gen 1 are all pretty terrible other than Fin early on anyway (ironically he's the best with wtd)

A delmud with inheritance is pretty much Oifaye without lances in 5 levels or so anyway.

The avaliability thing is in Oifaye's favour though, i'm one of the people that has the opinion that he's still pretty good in the later chapters too.

i find generally when celice gets the leg ring oifaye never does anything in chapter 6

the other mounted units in gen 1 are all pretty terrible other than Fin early on anyway (ironically he's the best with wtd)

A delmud with inheritance is pretty much Oifaye without lances in 5 levels or so anyway.

The avaliability thing is in Oifaye's favour though, i'm one of the people that has the opinion that he's still pretty good in the later chapters too.

Probably, but I have a thing for giving the Leg and Knight rings to Leen.

I'm willing to bet that's because of Prayer, and also considering only Sigurd, Alec, Fin, and Midir have Pursuit out of the mounted units and Alec and Midir is just meh and the player probably uses Fin a lot more considering he's also in Gen 2.

Yeah, but he won't promote till like 8 at the absolute earliest, so Oifaye has something over him. Aless is much more competition than Delmud.

Edited by Psych

Access to the steel lance really helps fin, since none of the starting mounted units have stellar strength. His stats are also somewhat better and if you want you can abuse the hell out of prayer, both in the arena and outside to get him a bunch of experience at no risk. If you like giving those rings to leen, why not just have her inherit the knight ring, then once celice gets promoted (which should be by chapter eight at the latest, which is when leen starts getting use) leen should have enough money by abusing prayer to get far in the arena.

Also, on the whole Oifaye vs Cuan debate, I think I might side slightly with Cuan. Pursuit and critical is great, as well as sword access, but I think Cuan still performs better in his maps, at least when you're playing relatively quickly. Chapter 6 becomes a leg ring celice solo, and in Chapter 7 even if Celice has become promoted all your units will be able to make it to the action before him, because he has to go across the desert to Yied shrine and then seize Darna later on. As a result, charging ahead isn't as necessary, and you can give that experience to foot soldiers without weakening turn count. By chapter 8 everyone is powerful enough to be near or better than Oifaye. From then on he's solid, and he does have more availability, but his contributions are in no way necessary, and he gets beaten enough that it's very unlikely he'll be included in the rescue staff routine.

Cuan, on the other hand, is on maps that are quite good for mounted units. Weapon triangle disadvantage is pretty bad, but he still has high hit rates on everything and good enough defense that he's almost guaranteed to survive the amount of enemies present in the prologue. In chapter one it's more of the same, since enemies don't get much stronger but Cuan does. Chapter two is a massive map, so his +1 move over most other mounted units adds up, and he no longer has to face WTD all the time, and now his defense and HP are getting so high not much challenges him any more. In chapter three, he continues to be quite useful. It seems small, but having nine move along with Sigurd means that he will be able to keep pace slightly ahead of the army, which is larger than it seems. With the help of Sigurd's leadership stars and Ethlin's lover boosts, his avoid goes higher and he can sometimes get lover crits. Most importantly, Sigurd isn't capable of one rounding most bosses, but with a Cuan chip bosses can usually be taken down in one turn. The other horses either won't be in range to do this or won't be strong enough.

Overall, I think Cuan is more important when playing for speed because no other unit can really replace his contributions, whereas there's no point where Oifaye is imperative for a strategy to work. They are still both very useful units though, especially on 0% growths.

Edited by MartyTheDemonSlayer

Sigurd is his generation's best unit, and Cuan's way better than most of the chumps. Oifaye on the otherhand has Aless, Leaf. Delmud and Arthur, let alone Celice to contend with.

ike doesn't come close but celice does if you set up his inheritance properly

celice's earlygame is pretty much the same thing if you pass down the silver sword (except no horse); it's actually better than sigurd's if you pass down all the stat rings like draft/ltc players do. celice's mid-lategame is also a bit better than sigurd's

No arguments here. Proper inheritance on Celice (read: ALL OF THE THINGS!) gives you Sigurd + Res. I like what someone said about Celice in his RTU. He still needs the inheritance to get on his feet while Sigurd stomps with nothing but his Silver. But the payoff is just so worth it.

I didn't know Oifaye vs Quan was a thing.