Licensed Game Appreciation Thread

The Geek

We all know about licensed games, and how most of the time they're complete crap. However, there are some licensed games that are really good. Take this time to discuss the licensed games that you enjoy.

Some of my favorites:

Lord of the Rings Return of the King (PS2): A really solid hack'n'slash game with some RPG elements thrown in (okay, it's just a level system with unlockable combos). Recently returned to this one and reminded myself how fun it is to wreck everything as Gandalf because he is ridiculously overpowered. Nothing beats destroying a legion of Orcs while the music from the movies plays in the background.

Lord of the Rings The Third Age (GBA): The game that inspired me to pick up Fire Emblem. Still fun to play, though I'm a lot better at it now that I have more tactical experience under my belt. This games RNG is even worse than Fire Emblem's in how devastatingly unfair it is.

LEGO Star Wars I&II(PS2)/The Complete Saga(PS3): In my opinion, the very first movie tie-in LEGO games were the very best. They had the best mechanics and unlike the others weren't riddled with glitches. The Harry Potter ones are good runners up.

Star Wars Battlefront II (PS2): Speaking of Star Wars, this game is amazing. EA, if you fuck up Battlefront 3 I will... be very mad. And not buy it. So there.

The Hobbit (PS2): I don't care if this game took a lot of liberties to make Bilbo capable of combat, this game is an awesome action/adventure platformer. Has some great puzzles, a beautiful art style that still looks good, and an amazingly awesome soundtrack.

Shrek 2 (PS2): An amazing four-player beat'em'up. A fitting adaptation of one of the best comedy films ever made.

Edited by The Geek

Lord of the Rings: Return of the King (PS2) is fucking boss. And yeah, Gandalf too OP. Ranged light beams that go through multiple enemies, AOE nuke, shield that burns every enemy around you.

And the actual actors providing the voices. Fucking yes.

Lego Marvel Superheroes.

I don't need to say anything much, except to not break EVERYTHING with the Hulk.

oh and the Godzilla fighting games were fun as a child.

Disney games on the Megadrive were usually pretty boss. Except for the Beauty and the Beast ones, don't know what went wrong with those, but it went terribly wrong.

Though, most of my appreciation goes to anime licensed games. Jump Ultimate Stars, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure on CPS3, all those Gundam fighters, Patlabor on Dreamcast, Ace wo Nerae! on SNES and the likes are all pretty great.

Is this about games based on movies? If so, I had a thread on that not too long ago, though it might be too dead to revive. :P

Movies, books, TV Shows, anything like that.

Batman: Arkham Asylum and especially Batman: Arkham City. These are great games, a perfect blend of stealth and action along with a cleverly designed world, tons of extras and collectibles, great writing and awesome voice acting as well as a fitting dark atmosphere that is still fitting for Batman. These games are almost perfection.

Oh, some other games I forgot to mention were

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone(PS1), The Chamber of Secrets (PS2), and The Prisoner of Azkaban (PS2)

Scooby Doo and the Cyber Chase (PS1)

I'm not sure if it counts, but Starfox Assault for the Game Cube as it was licensed by Nintendo to Namco. That's one of my favourite games in the series.

What the OP means is a game that is licensed from an existing well-known character or series that isn't a video game.

Edited by Knight

What the OP means is a game that is licensed from an existing well-known character or series that isn't a video game.

Oh, I see. Thanks for clearing that up. In that case, I enjoyed Spider-Man 1 for the Game Cube. I still have it in fact.

Spongebob Squarepants: Battle for Bikini Bottom (GC, PS2) is unusually good, especially if you liked the TV show.

Oh, I can't believe I forgot that one! The one based on the movie is good too. Then again, it is pretty much the exact same game.

The mention of Spider-Man made me remember Activision's Spider-Man games for the PSX. How could I ever forget them? Definitely the best superhero games out there, and the greatest adaptation of Spider-Man I've ever seen. Does so much more justice to Spider-Man than anything else, and it even has Stan Lee narrate the whole thing!

I should really play them again someday.

Every LEGO game. Just- all of them. They're all freaking great. Other than that... Injustice isn't all that bad. It looks pretty.

Wow, it took until page 2 for Goldeneye 64 to come up. I LOVE that game. Me and my dad and my sister had a lot of trouble deciding between playing Ocarina of Time and Goldeneye 64 since we got them both on Christmas Day that year. Goldeneye mostly won. It's THAT good.