Starting the Japan-only titles; which should I play first?

Wander

49 members have voted

1. 1. Which Fire Emblem should I play first?

I'm surprised 12 and 6 are beating 4 by so much. FE4 is really easy to get into. You'll adjust the the huge ass maps about 3 chapters in.

Not necessarily. Even with turn-by-turn saves some people just don't like FE chapters that large. The unique item budgeting system can also take some getting used to.

Anyway I voted 6 because it's the closest to what you're familiar with, but if you want a new experience by all means try 4 first.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm surprised 12 and 6 are beating 4 by so much. FE4 is really easy to get into. You'll adjust the the huge ass maps about 3 chapters in.

I disagree with that. That said, the reasons X-Naut stated are essentially what I'd have said. I mean, I'd hate to go through bullshit like FE4's chapter 2.

Edited by Levant Caprice

I disagree with that. That said, the reasons X-Naut stated are essentially what I'd have said. I mean, I'd hate to go through bullshit like FE4's chapter 2.

I'm going to third this. FE4 is fun and in many respects pretty easy but it's almost as different from the franchise norm as FE2 is. Huge maps, all the cash and item management quirks, the arena system...

And chapter 2 is just BS.

And unlike FE12 and FE6, which have reference points to other games ("FE11 but way better! FE7 but better/worse," etc), FE4's just kind of off on its own being weird. Weird in a good way, yeah, but weird.

Chapter 2 sucks a bag of dicks I agree but the rest of the game ain't so bad. OP has played every localized FE, so he is very familiar with the standard formula by now. FE4 would allow him to shake things up a bit while not being too difficult.

And everybody has to experience the 1 RN system at least once amirite :Kappa:

I'm going to third this. FE4 is fun and in many respects pretty easy but it's almost as different from the franchise norm as FE2 is. Huge maps, all the cash and item management quirks, the arena system...

And chapter 2 is just BS.

And unlike FE12 and FE6, which have reference points to other games ("FE11 but way better! FE7 but better/worse," etc), FE4's just kind of off on its own being weird. Weird in a good way, yeah, but weird.

I definitely agree that it's weird and deviates from the franchise norm about as much as FE2 does, but I don't agree on it being weird in a good way... Because I think it's weird in the "is this even an FE game or is it something else entirely" way.

Chapter 2 sucks a bag of dicks I agree but the rest of the game ain't so bad. OP has played every localized FE, so he is very familiar with the standard formula by now. FE4 would allow him to shake things up a bit while not being too difficult.

And everybody has to experience the 1 RN system at least once amirite :Kappa:

Personally, I don't like slogging through chapters that'd easily bore me to sleep, and chapter 2 just stands out in that regard, which is why I mentioned it. Not that I think the rest of the game's much better, mind you.

What. Disturbance in Augustria is the best piece ever, and anything is passable with FE4's awesome soundtrack

FE4's got a good soundtrack, but too bad that's about all I feel it has going for it :smug:

I definitely agree that it's weird and deviates from the franchise norm about as much as FE2 does, but I don't agree on it being weird in a good way... Because I think it's weird in the "is this even an FE game or is it something else entirely" way.

Personally, I don't like slogging through chapters that'd easily bore me to sleep, and chapter 2 just stands out in that regard, which is why I mentioned it. Not that I think the rest of the game's much better, mind you.

FE4's got a good soundtrack, but too bad that's about all I feel it has going for it :smug:

*shots fired*

Personally, FE6 is the best to get into if you know the other GBA games. However, I'd recommend FE4 first because it's such a black sheep.

Thanks for all the responses guys! I'll probably start with 6, but I'm out of town. I may just go with what has the most votes when I get back, so feel free to keep debating/suggesting. Definitely leaning towards 6 or 4 based on the posts so far, although I'm sure 12 is good.

If I do go with FE6, I'll probably use Gringe's new translation; should I also use his numbers patch? Seems like that knocks out a few of the more annoying aspects of FE6 so it's tempting. I could understand people preferring the vanilla experience, but I don't care too much about that.

@Logience: Fair enough, haha. Just figured I might get a suggestion from someone who's played both.

@Refa: ​them axe hit rates though

Well, I'll look at all the changes he's made and see if it's too many.

you'll have to deal with the shit axe hit rates in FE6 to truly appreciate axes afterwards.

Doesn't that contradict with how to appreciate Gonzales?

tumblr_m0dztpJ2ck1r2jdrto1_500.jpg

it just had to be a tie, didn't it guys?

I'm thinking I'll just follow the votes and go 6 -> 12 -> 4 -> 5. Maybe 2 if I have time before college starts.

Probably just gonna use whoever the hell I feel like (besides Gonzalez; must use Gonzalez) so if you've got any misc tips feel free to post 'em.

Why does everyone keep saying 12? Does everyone really hate FE6 that much?

I'd say that FE6 is one of the more polarizing entries in the franchise, yes.

it just had to be a tie, didn't it guys?

I'm thinking I'll just follow the votes and go 6 -> 12 -> 4 -> 5. Maybe 2 if I have time before college starts.

Probably just gonna use whoever the hell I feel like (besides Gonzalez; must use Gonzalez) so if you've got any misc tips feel free to post 'em.

As far as tips go... You'd definitely be better off NOT using Gonzales. Second, you need all the Divine Weapons to get the good ending. Third, and this ties into the second, one certain chapter has a General that you must NOT kill to get to the gaiden.

Edited by Levant Caprice

I'd say that FE6 is one of the more polarizing entries in the franchise, yes.

As far as tips go... You'd definitely be better off NOT using Gonzales. Second, you need all the Divine Weapons to get the good ending. Third, and this ties into the second, one certain chapter has a General that you must NOT kill to get to the gaiden.

No Gonzalez? Ah well. Which axe user would you recommend then (assuming I use one at all)? I've been getting by with Lot, so far. He's not terrible although his skill leaves a bit to be desired.

As far as tips go... You'd definitely be better off NOT using Gonzales.

Heathen.

No Gonzalez? Ah well. Which axe user would you recommend then (assuming I use one at all)? I've been getting by with Lot, so far. He's not terrible although his skill leaves a bit to be desired.

Gonzales is alright. While axes are pretty terrible in FE6, I guess your best choices would be Lott, Geese and Gonzales. Lott's fairly balanced, and Gonzales has major hit problems (if you say Lott has bad skill Gonzales is far worse). Either way it shouldn't matter too much if it's normal. Edited by Tryhard

None, because axes suck gigantic portions of ass in FE6.

Heathen.

no u

They're just trolling you, man. Gonzales is unarguably the best unit in the game that can't use swords, and even then only because the sword users in question are mounted or is Rutger. Just keep in mind that missing is a possibility with this guy, with axes having low hit and his skill growth of 15%, and you'll be fine.

Personally, FE12 should be the second-last game you play of all the Japanese ones, what with how it messes with FE11 and archetypes. 5 is the last, because of how WTF the whole game is.

saying that "you shouldn't play fe12 because it messes with archetypes" is perhaps the worst point against it i've ever heard ever

also anyone telling you that fe5 is too weird or too hard is weak