Least Favorite Classes

Here's another opinion thread: Which classes do you dislike the most (for your units to be).

Mine are:

#3 Sniper. Sniper gets surrounded, sniper gets hosed. The only real way to make this class work in your favor is to have Pass, which is a LV 15 Assassin skill.

#2 Taguel. I love Panne and Yarne, but I hate this class. Low resistance and no way of fighting back make this class incredibly weak to magic. The only likable thing about this class is Beastbane.

#1: Griffin Rider. Here's a recipe for a terrible class. Take one part low resistance, mix it with mediocre skills, and sprinkle it with the fact that it's a flying unit and you get a class that has a tendency to be one-shotted by wind magic. Good luck avoiding wind magic...

So, do you agree with me? What are your least favorite classes?

Edited by Hunter Nightblood

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorcerer and GK. Sorcerer really doesn't have anything going for it other than Nosferatanking (which isn't that great in post-game anyways), and GK's terrible Skill and Speed caps really kill it for me.

You have good picks for worst classes (depending on your goals: Snipers have DLC usage), and I'd probably throw Swordmasters on there.

But just FYI, if you want to keep bow-users from getting boxed in, you don't need Pass, you just have to have them operate in pairs. One bow-user's partner is always going to be able to fire at a unit that's blocking the other, and they can also move through each other.

Edited by Interceptor

You have good picks for worst classes (depending on your goals: Snipers have DLC usage), and I'd probably throw Swordmasters on there.

Yeah. Swordmasters almost made my list due to them having only 3 possible ranged weapons and two of them are legendary. And as we all know, ranged weapons are paramount in this game.

The Bow Knight could've been better. I would've envisionned a skill that has a % chance of equipping a weapon able to counter on enemy phase when not being able to counter. Then give Skill Cry to Sniper and get rid of Hit +20. I also hate the term Bow Knight when Gregor could just promote to that at base and be much better with swords. Calling it Ranger or even Horseman (as stupid as that name sounds) would've been more fitting.

Don't like the Griffon Rider because it just doesn't make any sense. Why trade a draconic mount, especially Minerva, for a totally different mount. And why axe only when we already have Berserkers for that. At least try a draconic mage class.

Among other terminology things, I would've called Dark Knights Mage Knights. I also would've liked some explanation on Dread Fighters. Are they dread themselves or fighting the dread. Both classes are perfectly fine otherwise.

Edited by Woodshooter

Sorcerer and GK. Sorcerer really doesn't have anything going for it other than Nosferatanking (which isn't that great in post-game anyways), and GK's terrible Skill and Speed caps really kill it for me.

I completely agree. They're also two of the ugliest classes in the game (along with Berserkers).

But just FYI, if you want to keep bow-users from getting boxed in, you don't need Pass, you just have to have them operate in pairs. One bow-user's partner is always going to be able to fire at a unit that's blocking the other, and they can also move through each other.

To clarify, this means having them stand next to eachother, not being paired up. And it really is a great strategy for limiting EP combat, avoiding Counter, and using Bows in general outside of Apo.

I also would've liked some explanation on Dread Fighters. Are they dread themselves or fighting the dread.

Alm

...What's that? My attire? This is dread-fighter garb. A dread fighter battles to win, to better himself, and to protect those he loves. They are my world's most fearsome fighters. Of course, Celica thinks I should take a more compassionate approach to enemies... But really, it's a battlefield! How do you compassionately stab someone? It may sound barbaric, but that's just how I feel. If you hurt me, I hurt you back...tenfold. What about you? Do you have compassion for your foes?

So... Both. DF is also an actual class in Gaiden (though it's sometimes called Demon Fighter).

Generals/Armor Knights because personal bias against all armor knights who aren't Gatrie/Tauroneo/Brom. Also Great Knight because their generic design is awful. If all Great Knights had Frederick's shoulder pads I'd be okay with them.

Fighter/Warrior/Barbarian/Berserker because I have an undying hatred of that unit type.

I usually like Swordmasters, but... They blow in this game.

Taguel is easily the worst class ever. Especially since Manaketes exist for transforming.

I've always disliked armoured units like Knights and Generals (though the actual characters are often still awesome) and I hate pretty much all of the mage classes' designs in this game. I mean, wtf is that huge hat of the mage class or that stripper outfit of the dark mages? I always found the griffons a pretty useless addition; apart from the mount, they're not that different from other flying classes and they're axe-locked.

(I love that bow knights returned though. Bows + mounted = awesome. I loved the rangers in FE 8 :D )

The heavy armor knights. They look absolutely hideous in this game and don't appear to be that good statistically either. Plus, Great Knights are way better tanks (and look way cooler).

I find the Dark Knight class to be underwhelming outside of Lifetaker. It's too constrained with swords and anima magic. It needs something better. The Falcoknight class is also pretty iffy in my opinion. Most don't have the magic to effectively use staves, but at least they get lancefaire.

The heavy armor knights. They look absolutely hideous in this game and don't appear to be that good statistically either. Plus, Great Knights are way better tanks (and look way cooler).

I agree.Probably the only time I'll turn one of my Streetpass team members(A.K.A. Freddy-bear)into a General is to get Ageis to go along with the Paisve he can get.Though,I do admit penguin-sliding after a Luna is pretty hilarious.

I also hate Archers/Snipers.Makes it a hell of a lot harder to train Viron,and Wil died on my Blazing Sword run because of it.Bow Knights are okay because they at least have some means of up close protection.

Edited by Shinehollow

Swordfighters (their brand of "I must test/sate my blade" severity has always come across as comical to me, and I've never dug them visually), all Armors (clunky-looking, not fun to use), and Taguel (they're giant rabbits, which is silly, and their inclusion in the game felt like a poorly fleshed out heron reference).

I don't like Knights/Generals due to poor movement -- makes grinding more tedious especially if the unit is far away from an immobile boss.

I don't like training Archers/Snipers either due to inability to retaliate against adjacent enemies, but the problem can be solved if the bow user is paired up with a partner that can attack at 1 range. For the case of Archers, EXPonential Growth can actually do if done early on, especially with the Paragon skill equipped.

I don't like Swordmasters since they can get wrecked easily in Rogues and Redeemers 3, even with capped stats with Limit Break in Normal difficulty. The Assassin class has better Skill and Strength and has matching Speed.

Bow Knights are rather mediocre in terms of stats with rather shaky defensive stats, but that tends to be the trend for high-Speed mounted units.

Generals cuz shit move. Pavise is a neato skill, but other than that, poo on General.

Sniper, to the point where i dont think ive ever used that class.

Bow Knight. I like Bow Breaker, but thats the only reason anyone goes Bow Knight, only to reclass to something else.

Assassin. Pass is kinda cool but i dont find Assassins very useful. Lethality sucks.

Im growing less and less fond of Swordmasters. The class skills are cool, but the class itself is limiting.

Poor horribly average and unremarkable Taguel.

I find the Dark Knight class to be underwhelming outside of Lifetaker. It's too constrained with swords and anima magic. It needs something better. The Falcoknight class is also pretty iffy in my opinion. Most don't have the magic to effectively use staves, but at least they get lancefaire.

Just wondering, but what would you consider to count as not constrained?

Cleric/Priest/Troubadours. They're helpless and a bit of a pain to train even if you abuse rescue.

I don't think I've ever used a Trickster either outside of Anna. Doesn't help that their outfits are ugly outside of the ones who have custom models for them.

Archer/Sniper for the reasons everyone else has stated.

Trickster is fucking terrible at everything oh my God.

*tear*

BUT THEY ARE ACTUALLY GOOD UTILITY OMG. But yeah, the caps smell like butt unwiped and it makes me cry cuz i like the class itself. I wish the skills were better. Lucky Seven is pretty wiggy especially for main game. Acrobat is neat but not all that useful considering how maps are laid out. Trickster needed better skills to make up for the caps. :(

I've never been fond of Generals, this game doesn't make them any more appealing. Great Knights, Swordmasters, and War Clerics all fit into this too. Libra does okay but a lot of other units in that class don't fare too well until far into postgame where you actually have them with good strength and magic as opposed to just "pick one here you go" ((looking at you, Cherche)). Also Villager but I think that goes without saying honestly.

((looking at you, Cherche))

I HAVE ALL THESE STAT BOOSTERS JUST ~LYING AROUND~ Might as well make use of them by making Cherche a Valk after spending some time in Griffon Rider. Cuz lets face it, Deliverer + DS+ is bomb.