S_Cero

Best Skill System?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Best Skill System?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TRS's skill system is almost exactly like FE5's skill system, though. the skills themselves are slightly different.

I actually like TRS' skill system the best from what I'm playing of it, since it's like FE5's except it has the FE13 progression of gaining skills with levels. However, unlike FE13 these skills are unique to their characters which helps further differentiate them. I'll have to continue playing TRS, but nothing strikes me as SUPREMELY UNBALANCED WHY WOULD YOU PUT THIS SKILL ON THIS UNIT YET.

I actually like TRS' skill system the best from what I'm playing of it, since it's like FE5's except it has the FE13 progression of gaining skills with levels. However, unlike FE13 these skills are unique to their characters which helps further differentiate them. I'll have to continue playing TRS, but nothing strikes me as SUPREMELY UNBALANCED WHY WOULD YOU PUT THIS SKILL ON THIS UNIT YET.

oh duh, i forgot about the whole learning skills on level up thing. that's actually pretty cool, since each unit has his own level up learnset.

warp is a supremely unbalanced skill, though.

The TRS system is pretty sweet, it's just unfortunate that most skills are useless as ever. Skills should extend the tactical options you have instead of being randomly triggered bonuses because that is something you can never rely on. But they do have their fair share of improvements in this game. Like, the Terrain skills are nice additions and Charge was turned into a skill that gets activated by the player.

Now, I unfortunately haven't gotten to play it yet but the Skill list of Berwick Saga looks friggin sweet:

http://serenesforest.net/wiki/index.php/Berwick_Saga_Skills

Characters mostly benefit from skills all the time or they have to be triggered by the player. The few ones which are triggered entirely randomly during combat are almost purely defensive, so you don't even need to worry that a sudden offensive bonus ends up backfiring. Wrath and Adept are still around, though.

And the skills are really good. Stuff like increasing movement but being limited to the wait command, multiplying the benefit of terrain bonuses, offensive boasts in exchange for not moving, additional attacks in exchange for accuracy... Lots of stuff here that should truly extend the versatility of units. Honestly, I don't think any Fire Emblem game cam claim to come close to this.

Edited by BrightBow