Brawl really WAS more of a Kirby game with other Nintendo characters.

Anacybele

Yeah, I remember someone pointing this out on a forum I used to go to, and I sort of agreed. Now I DEFINITELY agree and it's kind of lowered my opinion of Brawl. Why do I say this?

Because I've now actually played a Kirby game for myself. Kirby and the Amazing Mirror, to be precise (it's pretty fun, btw, but I can't say it's OMG AMAZING or anything. I don't know if I'll play more Kirby games in the future). And it's A LOT like the SSE. I mean, nearly the exact same, except with all Kirby elements.

Don't get me wrong, I still think Brawl is amazing and better than Melee. Just the SSE, not so much anymore now that I know how completely unoriginal it was. It's fine if Sakurai wants to take inspiration from other games, even his own, but did he really have to completely COPY Kirby (lol irony)? I now wish the SSE had been more of a mix of different Nintendo franchises, not just a Kirby formula with other Nintendo characters slapped onto it.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never played Kirby. Well, a long time ago when I was like 5 or 6 in a hotel room on a sega dreamcast...but not enough for me to see where you're coming from.

In Sakurai's defense, a platformer is a platformer. Mario is probably real similar to Kirby too...

Melee was better than Brawl, though.

Um, no. Not to me. You're stating an opinion, not a fact.

That makes it a Sakurai game, not a Kirby game. That's like complaining that SSB4 has Kid Icarus menus when it's just the Sakurai (or as it is, Mrs. Sakurai) style.

Again, not to me. The menus are a different story because as you said, they were designed by his wife, not Sakurai himself.

is there a problem with the fact that he happened to structure his single-player campaign the same way as a kirby game's is structured?

Is there a problem with me not liking that he structured the SSE to be exactly the same as a Kirby game?

Edited by Anacybele

In all fairness, Kirby games play like typical side scrolling adventures - which there have been a plethora of in the past. I can't really see how you'd adapt a fighting game like SSB into a singleplayer without it just being a series of fights otherwise. Besides, the multiplayer's always been the main draw of SSB - which isn't much like Kirby at all.

In all fairness, Kirby games play like typical side scrolling adventures - which there have been a plethora of in the past.

I have to disagree here too. Kirby didn't feel at all like the Mario side-scrollers. Unless Mario is meant to be different from the typical side-scroller.

Um, no. Not to me. You're stating an opinion, not a fact.

Ana, lol. Why are you taking that so seriously?

Again, not to me. The menus are a different story because as you said, they were designed by his wife, not Sakurai himself.

But the campaign structure being designed by him is a problem? So he took inspiration from a game he made previously, what's the big deal?

Besides, what you're really saying is that the SSE is a Kirby game with other Nintendo characters, unless you want to argue that all the multiplayer and other 1P modes are copied from Kirby, as well.

Because there was nothing indicating that it wasn't meant to be taken seriously? Not even a strikethrough?

But the campaign structure being designed by him is a problem? So he took inspiration from a game he made previously, what's the big deal?

That it's unoriginal and basically the EXACT same thing, like I said. And I'd like at least SOME originality.

Besides, what you're really saying is that the SSE is a Kirby game with other Nintendo characters, unless you want to argue that all the multiplayer and other 1P modes are copied from Kirby, as well.

Alright, fair enough. Still doesn't improve my opinion of it any though.

Because there was nothing indicating that it wasn't meant to be taken seriously? Not even a strikethrough?

It was a side comment completely unrelated to the topic at hand, and was just a simple statement with nothing argumentative backing it up. Why didn't you just ignore it?

That it's unoriginal and basically the EXACT same thing, like I said. And I'd like at least SOME originality.

To be fair, I haven't played Kirby and the Amazing Mirror, so I don't know exactly how much may have been taken from it. But I have played other Kirby games, the SSE, and many other platformers, and the SSE, to me, was really just a side-scrolling platformer with the action of SSB and multiple Nintendo characters. From what I can tell, any similarities they share are likely to just be the result of them both being side-scrolling platformers made by the same dude.

Melee and Brawl were both gr9. SSB64 is a little outdated and outshadowed by the later games, but it's still good in it's own regard. I would say SSBB is better because of the whole more character, more stage thing, but I love 'em both.

Also, kind of a nitpick, but in stamina mode, I liked to choose your own stamina instead of it being pre-set at 150%. So Brawl is better in that regard IMO.

Is there a problem with me not liking that he structured the SSE to be exactly the same as a Kirby game?

if you liked it before, i don't see why "it's vaguely similar to a kirby game" is a reason to stop?

It was a side comment completely unrelated to the topic at hand, and was just a simple statement with nothing argumentative backing it up. Why didn't you just ignore it?

To be fair, I haven't played Kirby and the Amazing Mirror, so I don't know exactly how much may have been taken from it. But I have played other Kirby games, the SSE, and many other platformers, and the SSE, to me, was really just a side-scrolling platformer with the action of SSB and multiple Nintendo characters. From what I can tell, any similarities they share are likely to just be the result of them both being side-scrolling platformers made by the same dude.

The SSE was also a big giant maze with doors leading you to each part of it and some areas have multiple doors that lead in different directions. Kirby and the Amazing Mirror is exactly the same.

if you liked it before, i don't see why "it's vaguely similar to a kirby game" is a reason to stop?

Except it's not "vaguely similar" it's "EXTREMELY similar."

Edited by Anacybele

I think it's the way she reads it. We all read differently! Must be different from the way I did, I always read everything like Miranda Sings!

I do agree SSE had major Kirby written all over it, but I never really noticed until now. I don't think it bothered anyone, I don't think it WILL bother anyone, and I don't think it'll ever bother anyone. Though, I see it bothers you so I'll stop talking now.

I do have to add though, I liked Melee more than Brawl. I never realized the difference in physics, until AFTER I tried Project M. Holy crap... ZSS is just uncontrollable in Regular Brawl. She's just so floaty... I can't even explain it.

Huh, I felt like I had BETTER control over my characters in Brawl than in Melee. Because Melee was so damned fast paced. I'm glad SSB Wii U/3DS is just an in between of the two.

But yeah, I see that I'm the only one bothered by this whole thing. I've also heard that Smash Run is supposed to be like Kirby Air Ride. I hope it's not another blatant copy. I mean, being a little similar is fine, but completely copying another game, even if it's your own? Just...I find that boring.

Smash run is a lot like Kirby Air Ride (which is good, that mode was the best) but the controls aren't as good.

To be fair, Amazing Mirror is pretty different from every other Kirby game in that the others are more like regular side-scrolling platformers. I still hate the subspace emmissary, I still don't really like Kirby and the Amazing Mirror, and I still love almost every other Kirby game.

Oh yeah and

Melee was better than Brawl, though.

#truestory

Kirby and the Amazing Mirror is one of the worse entries in the series to start off for a general impression of the Kirby games. The best Kirby games to start with are Kirby's Dream Land, Kirby's Adventure or Nightmare in dreamland and Kirby Superstar.

The reason is that Amazing Mirror follows the Treasure Hunting mode of Kirby SuperStar and a Metroidvania style of map designs. I personally didn't enjoy it. It's one of the mediocre titles.

Edited by kingddd

I have to disagree here too. Kirby didn't feel at all like the Mario side-scrollers. Unless Mario is meant to be different from the typical side-scroller.

Mario's a certain kind of sidescroller, there's a whole sub-genre which plays a lot like Kirby.

Kirby and the Amazing Mirror is one of the worse entries in the series to start off for a general impression of the Kirby games. The best Kirby games to start with are Kirby's Dream Land, Kirby's Adventure or Nightmare in dreamland and Kirby Superstar.

The reason is that Amazing Mirror follows the Treasure Hunting mode of Kirby SuperStar and a Metroidvania style of map designs. I personally didn't enjoy it. It's one of the mediocre titles.

Aye

this post is correct

What about starfox lol

Also melee > brawl competitively, fact, seriously. Anything else is fine though, since brawl was a really good game.

Oh i completely misinterpreted the title

Edited by Comet

Well, it was the only Kirby game I could get that wasn't either A) a $35 3DS title or B) a really old outdated GB game (I was looking on the eShop). I wanted to start off with something newer than GB games. And I didn't want to spend $35 on a title that I could end up disliking entirely.

Edited by Anacybele

I started with Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards and loved it. There's apparently a used copy on amazon for a little over 18 dollars. I think it's a decent game to start Kirby with, but someone who knows the series better than I do can make that call.