How come wyvern riders are usually from the enemy country?

Dragoncat

I noticed that when it comes to flying units, like 90% of the time, the protagonist country will have pegasus knights and the antagonist one will have wyvern riders. A good example of this is PoR. Jill is from Daein. Don't remember where Haar is from, but certainly not Crimea. In Awakening Ylisse has a squad of pegasus knights and Plegia has a lot of wyvern riders. The wyvern riders in Elibe are most likely from Bern. The list goes on and on, even if that country becomes an ally later on, it starts out that way.

Any idea why this is?

I noticed that when it comes to flying units, like 90% of the time, the protagonist country will have pegasus knights and the antagonist one will have wyvern riders. A good example of this is PoR. Jill is from Daein. Don't remember where Haar is from, but certainly not Crimea. In Awakening Ylisse has a squad of pegasus knights and Plegia has a lot of wyvern riders. The wyvern riders in Elibe are most likely from Bern. The list goes on and on, even if that country becomes an ally later on, it starts out that way.

Any idea why this is?

Haar is from Begnion, but I guess it's just the notion that this "enemy" is a powerful nation to be able these beasts... or something like that.

I could provide a less simple explanation, but that would require my thought processors to be in order.

Edited by Soledai

I'd say because wyvern riders give off the enemy vibe better than Peg knights. It never bothered me though.

That may be true...

It's wierd though. Unless it's a cultural thing, which it most likely isn't, all nations should have both in their air forces.

Edited by Dragoncat

But Macedon had as many Pegasus Knights as they did Dracoknights.

The thing is, each nation on FE1 had a particular set of talents. Macedon preferred death from above and used flying units. Grust used horses and ballistae. Khadein used mages almost exclusively. And Dolhr supplemented a mix of everything with their Manaketes.

Because dragons = evil. And wyvern are a type of dragon. Often, FE uses very simple ways to show who's evil and who's not.

I hate that stereotype...dragons arent always evil. At least the chinese have dragon myths that aren't all evil dragon kidnaps princess/evil dragon destroys town/etc...

The thing is, each nation on FE1 had a particular set of talents. Macedon preferred death from above and used flying units. Grust used horses and ballistae. Khadein used mages almost exclusively. And Dolhr supplemented a mix of everything with their Manaketes.

That's interesting. Looks like the other continents have more wider strategies and use a bit of everything, mostly.

Yeah, I know Begnion has both.

I hate that stereotype...dragons arent always evil. At least the chinese have dragon myths that aren't all evil dragon kidnaps princess/evil dragon destroys town/etc...

Dragons aren't always depicted as evil in the west either. Take He-Man for example. He-Man befriends mama dragon after that whole situation with her and her kid dragons. And she aids him again one or two times throughout the show.

My Little Pony doesn't make them all evil either. Spike is the best example. Although some other dragons shown in the show are depicted as jerks. :P

I'm glad FE doesn't make all dragons evil though. The dragon laguz are cool people, for example. Even if they ARE closed-minded thanks to Dheginsea. xP

Edited by Anacybele

Dragons are most commonly either Evil like in Lord of the Rings, a buttload of medieval heroic sagas and fairy tales. Or they're the Wise Dragon, who is ultimately good but is nothing more than an advisor. Other portayals are rarer. I don't like the stereotype either, but that is how this trope developed over time.

But Fire Emblem is a medieval fantasy (for the most part) and medieval mythology almost always depict dragons as evil. Tales of brave knights slaying/taming dragons was one of many things makes up chivalry.

On that note, perhaps the reason one nation uses wyverns is because they believe taming dragons is some sort of chivalrous quest.

Well the divine dragons aren't evil...

In mythology they're usually depicted as evil beasts because they're mostly based on snakes and other reptiles...

Edited by Naughx

They usually join anywhere from halfway through the game to the end too. This is because Wyvern Riders tend to kick lots of ass as units (flying durability is sex) and its a way to balance it out I guess.

Is there any FE where you get a Wyvern Rider somewhat early?

They usually join anywhere from halfway through the game to the end too. This is because Wyvern Riders tend to kick lots of ass as units (flying durability is sex) and its a way to balance it out I guess.

FE10 Jill? Technically Vanessa and FE12 Catria/Palla/Caeda.

not that i can think of other then FE10's Jill.

You recruit Jill in the 7th chapter of FE10.

Edited by Refa

Because normally Wyvern Riders tend to be the "Perfect" class, no really low stats except res, high movement, flight, good con and it helps making the enemy country look like a threat. And because IS loves to spam kamikaze Wyverns.

Edited by Deino

Dragons aren't always depicted as evil in the west either. Take He-Man for example. He-Man befriends mama dragon after that whole situation with her and her kid dragons. And she aids him again one or two times throughout the show.

My Little Pony doesn't make them all evil either. Spike is the best example. Although some other dragons shown in the show are depicted as jerks. :P

I'm glad FE doesn't make all dragons evil though. The dragon laguz are cool people, for example. Even if they ARE closed-minded thanks to Dheginsea. xP

More modern western stories arent as bad as the ones that come from medieval times. If you look up any ancient, non eastern myth with dragons in it, I can guarantee that the dragons will be slain by some knight because they're evil.

I grew up on Spyro. That's another great example. The bad guys in the classic trilogy are dinosaurs/orc like creatures. Later they start introducing dragon villains though...Red in A Hero's Tail is one. Malefor in the legend trilogy outevils Red like 100%. He believes the destiny of a purple dragon is to destroy the world, purple dragons are extremely rare and have more power than other dragons, and there's only one born every 1000 some years. Malefor and Spyro are the only purple dragons in existence at the time. Where as Red was just a rogue dragon elder who liked causing trouble, pretty much.

And yeah. That's why my dragon laguz OC is far from that. He's Gareth's son and he actually likes spending time with beorc and other laguz. And when he hears of a conflict, he doesn't go "meh, none of my business" like Deghinsea does, he picks a side. And once he does, nobody can tell him to not go and burn the opposition to a crisp. But Goldoa uses him as an ambassador, kinda like Gallia does with Ranulf. Deghinsea can trust that he won't cause too much trouble.

Its for multipule reasons as stated previously:

1). Archetype. Since the days of Macedon and Princess Minerva, most Fire Emblems like to stick with the formula (for the most part): An anti-heroish, militaristic, red-haired woman who struggles with internal conflict and for one reason or another decides to join your army.

2). In most Fire Emblem games Peg Knighs are from the "good" country(s). With the exception of the first game you don't really see a whole lot of enemy peg knights other than maybe a chapter or two if that. Wyvern Knights are typically associated with the "bad" country(s). I mean look at Thracia, their whole army is basically composed of said class tree.

3). Wyverns are commonly considered superior to Pegasi because of the fact that they have pretty good growths all around sans magic, luck and resistance.

It might seem like I favor Wyverns but I like Wyverns and Pegasi equally.

The earliest possible recruitment for a Wyvern type unit is Radiant Dawn's Jill Fizzart at the end of Chapter 6 in Part 1 or in Fire Emblem Awakening after unlocking the Outer Realms after beating Chapter... can't remember if its 4 or 5 but once you unlocked it you can hire past heros like Minerva, etc. for a decent sum of gold.

Hope this helps.

or in Fire Emblem Awakening after unlocking the Outer Realms after beating Chapter... can't remember if its 4 or 5 but once you unlocked it you can hire past heros like Minerva, etc. for a decent sum of gold.

Think it's 4. I reclassed my avatar to one though xD Wyverns rule.