Crusader Kings II - and how not to suck?

Tryhard

I will level with you guys I tried to learn this game and couldn't wrap my mind around it then cheated and upgraded all my retainers and family to have max stats and then conquered the world with like a billion soldiers and max technology in everything

did I do well, papa

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you are a filthy casual and should be ashamed of yourself.

i'm struggling here in the mud get down here with me

(seriously though it seems like good fun when you actually have an idea what you're doing; it's more about prolonging a dynasty than conquering the world)

a lot different than conquest games I'm used to like total war. I think Europa Universalis is a little more like that.

Edited by Tryhard

you are a filthy casual and should be ashamed of yourself.

i'm struggling here in the mud get down here with me

(seriously though it seems like good fun when you actually have an idea what you're doing; it's more about prolonging a dynasty than conquering the world)

a lot different than conquest games I'm used to like total war. I think Europa Universalis is a little more like that.

Of course, since Europa is also a Paradox's game. What I want now is a game that combine Crusader Kings, Total War and Mount&Blade. It will be either the biggest mess of history or the best game ever.

Of course, since Europa is also a Paradox's game. What I want now is a game that combine Crusader Kings, Total War and Mount&Blade. It will be either the biggest mess of history or the best game ever.

All of my yes.

Or at least CK and M+B.

What I want now is a game that combine Crusader Kings, Total War and Mount&Blade. It will be either the biggest mess of history or the best game ever.

How would that actually work on paper because

People seem to think Mount & Blade goes with anything just because, though.

Yeah but a lot of times Mount and Blade cross anything would be really cool.

I can imagine something like it working at least not falling apart on paper, actually

I'm picturing a multigenerational/dynastic M&B game with beefed-up diplomacy and units of pumped-up size which automatically adhere to formation, have more defined rock-paper-scissors-sword-musket relationships, and can be lined up/directed easier

Edited by Rehab

• 2 weeks later...

Don't worry, I'm well aware M&B is quite awesome.

Started playing again, and I'm getting the hang of it a lot more - well, enough in order to not completely fall apart even if I'm not great. Liking it enough in order to pick up EU4 on a sale too - which also seems fun. Probably more my type of thing considering I would prefer managing a country but I prefer the medieval time period so both are good.

I like how EU4 has an achievement to conquer the world with Ryukyu - which apparently only one person has achieved through game exploitation.

too bad i'm a nerd with nobody to play with

Edited by Tryhard

I-I'd play with you senpai.

the day when i'm actually senpai is a sad day

I haven't played EU4, is it better than HoI3?

I've heard Hearts of Iron and Victoria are the most complicated of the bunch, so I've probably been let off easy, but EU4 is pretty cool. I haven't played HoI3 so I can't say.

And I still have crusader kings 2 which I'm played a little bit and know slightly more about

no cheats tho

Edited by Tryhard

Heres one thing always marry your sons to baronesses. Even set up marriages when they are toddlers. Oh and keep high level leaders in your army WHO LIKE YOU. Before a big battle bribe them to not run away.

Heres one thing always marry your sons to baronesses. Even set up marriages when they are toddlers. Oh and keep high level leaders in your army WHO LIKE YOU. Before a big battle bribe them to not run away.

Smart stuff. I need to get better with the micromanagement in CK2...

Trying to learn EU4 with Muscovy seems like a pretty good idea - you start with a big amount of land, three vassals and your nearest immediate rival, Novgorod, has really shitty military that you can quickly overwhelm if you declare war on them and then force them to release Finland, who then can become your vassal easily. After that, a few easy wars and you have a lot of land. Well, seemed to be pretty cool to me, anyway. I eventually became Russia, too.

PweySBa.jpg

kazan is grovelling and begging

the day when i'm actually senpai is a sad day

I've heard Hearts of Iron and Victoria are the most complicated of the bunch, so I've probably been let off easy, but EU4 is pretty cool. I haven't played HoI3 so I can't say.

And I still have crusader kings 2 which I'm played a little bit and know slightly more about

no cheats tho

Honestly, HoI3 is pretty boring compared to CKII and EU4. It's not bad but the other two games are way better. An Victoria is the most complicated game I have ever played. I tried it for 4 hours then quit. EU4 is great, nuff said.

For anyone who is interested, there is a PARADOX SALE on steam till the 6th October.

Time to pick up some dlcs.

EDIT: Oh, and that Charlemagne DLC is coming out October 14th.

Edited by Tryhard

The new DLC...I hope it will turn out to be good. I need more stuff to do other than killing my own children in the late game.

you could reinstate gavelkind

guaranteed to liven up any game

Any tips to not suck in combat? I've been losing battles even with upper numbers, and my almost complete lack of knowledge of the game (aside from what I read on the wiki) makes me wonder what I should be doing.

I've founded the Kingdom of Ireland once, but other than that any expansion that I try ends in defeat.

Unit composition and combat in general is abstracted, though as far as I can tell there are a lot of modifiers like technology, morale, leadership traits which can suggest that you can lose even with higher numbers, but generally higher numbers does win the day.

I don't know so much about combat myself so I couldn't tell you much, but the biggest thing is - does the enemy have an advantage/do you have a disadvantage based on the terrain and if you're attacking or not (for example, hills and mountains give a bonus while defending, rivers and straits give a penalty to attacking). If you attack an army that is sieging, I believe you get a disadvantage in combat. That advantage/disadvantage is usually the most significant benefit you get in combat from what I've seen.

Also if anyone wants to hit me up for some multiplayer games I'll be down for it, timezones permitting.

Edited by Tryhard

O.K. like a donut I missed the sale. I didn't realize it was Yankie time. I'm down to play a multiplayer game I remember my CK1 multi-player days too well / also "so I can access all the DLC's."

Well, I've seen armies of 1200 vs 800 losing battles on flat plain, and yesterday my army of 7000 soldiers lost to another of 5000 on flat plain, which is why I became confused. Is there something I should know about managing battle formations? I searched for it on the wiki and found nothing.

I also made a mistake when I changed my character's culture to Norwegian (I played a Dublin run once), which means I can't create Ireland now (I believe I can convert my liege's culture to Irish if I switch the capital). My stupidity has already broken the meter.

Also, fabricating claims takes too long for my tastes, even with a chancelor with 13 diplomacy.

While on the move rearrange your leaders to the highest martial value x the ones who like you. Try inviting high martial characters to your court "your round-table" per say and giving them honorary titles. Do this inside your kingdom or even outside your kingdom until you have three characters for the three flanks. I think your own ruler gives you a bonus so If your 11+ use him/her. Unit composition doesn't matter too much but try to keep heavy Calvary if you can afford them, if you get Wales get Welsh longbowmen retunes - its said they are good. I just lost against a 14k seljuk force with my 20k army (defending on mountains/rivers) simply cause they had better leaders.

If you get bored get the HIP mod that cranks up the fun by 5 but is a little PC hungry. It got lots of Celtic events.

Some ideas I do if I get desperate:

If a child at age 6 stands out in martial compared to kids of his age give him a knight tutor. WARNING: if your kingdom is weak promoting high martial family members could make a civil war.

Mercenaries aren't always the best leaders because they sometimes they aren't your religion. This gives them negative relations. Swap the leaders.

Getting claims are a little long. Sometimes going to a "County/Duchy/Kingdom" information screen and looking for pretenders who guilty want claims helps. Invite them, give them a barony (if they are your fam you don't need to do this) and press their claims. Just watch out, historical example: William of Normandy becoming English king and shooing off the French king.

Edited by Pou

Well, I've seen armies of 1200 vs 800 losing battles on flat plain, and yesterday my army of 7000 soldiers lost to another of 5000 on flat plain, which is why I became confused. Is there something I should know about managing battle formations? I searched for it on the wiki and found nothing.

I also made a mistake when I changed my character's culture to Norwegian (I played a Dublin run once), which means I can't create Ireland now (I believe I can convert my liege's culture to Irish if I switch the capital). My stupidity has already broken the meter.

Also, fabricating claims takes too long for my tastes, even with a chancelor with 13 diplomacy.

Better leader, better tactics, better troop composition. The leader with good traits, good martial stat are better than the one with like...craven trait. It's up to your culture, terrain, leader traits, the composition of your troops and your flanks to create either good tactic or bad tactic. A battle in which your general uses good tactics will always lead your troops to victory. Basically, you dont need a godlike general as long as your so-so 14 martial general can use good tactics. You can read more about tactics here:

http://www.ckiiwiki.com/Tactics

Also, some kind of units are better than the others at certain thing so...read more about them too.

Anyway, a chancellor with 13 dip is actually worthless. For someone to be my chancellor, he has to have at least 18 dip. My current chancellor is my landless brother who has 27 dip (his tutor, the previous emperor is a beast).

Edited by Magical Amber