Why do you think laguz are never mentioned?

Dragoncat

If there's supposedly access to Tellius from the Awakening world(Archanea eons later?)...I know it's probably because IS didn't program laguz into it. But what about a story standpoint? You'd think at least the taguel and manaketes would know of a race similar to them. And I don't think it's because no laguz wanted to explore. Plenty of them seemed like they would be interested, Ranulf, Janaff...

Discuss.

If there's supposedly access to Tellius from the Awakening world(Archanea eons later?)...I know it's probably because IS didn't program laguz into it. But what about a story standpoint? You'd think at least the taguel and manaketes would know of a race similar to them. And I don't think it's because no laguz wanted to explore. Plenty of them seemed like they would be interested, Ranulf, Janaff...

Discuss.

First: there have been hints of laguz in the game. The story of Naesala and Leanne is mentioned (though very distorted in the english version) in Donnel and Olivia's supports, and Henry mentions once seeing a man turn into a crow.

Beyond that, I'm not sure at the moment, I'll post again if I think of anything

But Taguel are the laguz of Awakening? And didn't Ike come to Ylisse via the portal? If he didn't tell anyone, no one would know about laguz?

Or it was just that the laguz weren't that popular? At least I don't remember many people who liked them.

The story of Naesala and Leanne is mentioned (though very distorted in the english version) in Donnel and Olivia's supports, and Henry mentions once seeing a man turn into a crow.

I'll have to look up that support. And yeah, I remember Henry saying that now. But since he didn't say anything about the man having wings...I guess I assumed otherwise.

But Taguel are the laguz of Awakening? And didn't Ike come to Ylisse via the portal? If he didn't tell anyone, no one would know about laguz?

Or it was just that the laguz weren't that popular? At least I don't remember many people who liked them.

I think he'd say something about them, like he might see a taguel and be all "rabbit laguz!" Or a manakete and think they're a subspecies of dragon laguz...Ike strikes me as the kind of person who would want to share things about his homeland.

The laguz...I love them. Not many people actually use them in game though.

Regarding Donny's and Olivia's support about Leanne and Naesala... the English version got turned into a generic swan story.

Japanese version:

http://fe-according-to-japan.tumblr.com/post/46267739336/tellius-mythologized

Edited by shadowofchaos

Regarding Donny's and Olivia's support about Leanne and Naesala... the English version got turned into a generic swan story.

Japanese version:

http://fe-according-to-japan.tumblr.com/post/46267739336/tellius-mythologized

Yeah I just finished reading the english version, and it was swans.

Wonder why they changed it...

My theory: they are mentionned by the name taguel and manakete. Those two things are laguz, just no longer called that way.

But they're different. There were no rabbit laguz. And there's no bird shapeshifters in Awakening...

Edited by Dragoncat

But they're different. There were no rabbit laguz. And there's no bird shapeshifters in Awakening...

So? The taguel were also almost completely wiped out. It's not far-fetched to think that other laguz types may have died out. There are a thousand years in between the games (if there is a connection at all). Enough time to die out.

See Laurent/Yarne convo in Harvest Scramble:

Yarne

ACK! Wh-what?! What's behind me?! Oh. Hey, is that...? The paintings for sale at that stand... Those are paintings of taguel!

Laurent

Lions and falcons as well... And look. That one appears to be a heron.

[...]

Laurent

It would appear they're illustrations of the legends of a neighboring continent. Shall we have a closer look?

So there is some connection there.

Edited by L95

My theory: they are mentionned by the name taguel and manakete. Those two things are laguz, just no longer called that way.

Thing is, Laguz don't need to use stones to attack, but Manaketes and Taguel do. So how do you explain that?

Edited by NinjaMonkey

Fe1-3's lore, dragons were forced to put most of their power in stones and remain in human form or face degeneration. Other laguz tribe could have faced the same issue.

Edited by Sartek

I don't think there are laguz in FE13 I think FE13 is more in the lines of FE8 when it comes to animal powers. I love the wolf and bird tribe laguz but I think that laguz are only native to Tellius and that any laguz that explored probably ended up staying where they ended up and married someone there, so the laguz could be the forefathers/mothers of the heroes of the land that they ended up in or they just don't like to leave Tellius and are still there, or they just died out but I think that IS will bring back laguz someday and make them even better.

If Ike came to Ylisse via the portal, how does Robin know about Ashera, and why does s/he treat Ashera like a being of that world?

If Ike came to Ylisse via the portal, how does Robin know about Ashera, and why does s/he treat Ashera like a being of that world?

I don't recall this in the script. Where is Ashera mentioned?

Because in Paralogue 23 Japanese script, she was NEVER mentioned by Chrom by name.

Only a generic "goddess" and blessed blade.

その昔、異なる世界から

やって来たという伝説の剣士の称号だ。▼

神の祝福を受けた至高の剣と、

万の敵を屠る剣技を備えていたという。▼

English Script:

Chrom

Only what the legends tell—that he's an unparalleled warrior from another world. They say he felled thousands with a divine blade blessed by Ashera herself.

I don't consider him knowing her by name in a side story chapter of a different world in the English game as a sign that she is part of that world as canon.

Edited by shadowofchaos

I don't recall this in the script. Where is Ashera mentioned?

Here, Rey.

Chrom

Indeed. But could a descendant of the Radiant Hero truly reside here? I still have my doubts.

Robin

What all do you know about this Radiant Hero, anyway?

Chrom

Only what the legends tell—that he's an unparalleled warrior from another world. They say he felled thousands with a divine blade blessed by Ashera herself.

Robin

Interesting. Then if his descendant exists and possesses even a tenth of his skill...

EDIT: Never mind XD

Edited by Sangyul

Right, guess it was Chrom then. What's the translation of the japanese you quoted, Shadowofchaos? It's kinda useless to most of the people on these forums without a translation.

Only a generic "goddess" and blessed blade.

Only what the legends tell—that he's an unparalleled warrior from another world. They say he felled thousands with a blade blessed by a goddess.

If we're gonna go with literal:

"The legends speak of an unparalleled swordsman from another world. With a blade blessed by a deity, he cut down enemies numbering in the thousands."

Edited by shadowofchaos

Alright, then this raises a bigger question: if Ike comes from an alternate universe, yet there are stories from his world that are widespread in the world of NeoArchanea, what does that even mean?

And who the hell is Shanty Pete that he's mentioned by pirates both in Archanea and Tellius?

...Or is Shanty Pete just something the american localization made up for FE10, 11 and 13?

Same reason that Chrom/Robin know the stories of all the other games in the DLC maps: IS wanted to have callbacks to the past games. It's less about making sense ingame and more about raising awareness for past FE games for new players and fanservice for old players.

Shanty Pete is probably another Jake/Anna.

Nice finds everybody! I'm glad they are mentioned, even minorly....

Ehh, I think falcons are too similar to hawks, but that's just me...

Well, they're both raptors. So that counts for something, I guess.

.Ehh, I think falcons are too similar to hawks, but that's just me...

Falcon:

peregrine-falcon-profile.jpg

Hawk:

red-tailed-hawk_2_3130.jpg

I'd say hawks look closer to eagles, but they do all have similar beaks and talons, admittedly. But probably only because they're all birds of prey/raptors. Plus, I've liked falcons ever since Falcon from Stuart Little 2 came into existence. lol