Another FFXV Trailer

Lord Raven

There are some things that are really easy to attack regarding it. Camera, framerate, being a hybrid action RPG that arguably does neither as well as if it were specialized (plus always loldub, lolboyband, etc). But those didn't bother me too much. Some complaints are easy enough to handwave with just being a demo, but it understandably won't appeal to everyone (and it shouldn't, tbh).

Combat wise, the main irksome thing for me is it plays like a action game wrt how many enemies swarm you, but you can't animation cancel into dodges ala DMC/Bayonetta. This is fine in Monster Hunter and Souls games when you're fighting relatively few enemies at a time, but in swarms (with decent enough AI), you just get hit randomly when attacking which is annoying. I get how it makes it more "tactical" and sure it can be balanced around that, but there's definitely some dissonance (I'm not sure how to address it, either, without a revamp).

Like to no-damage stuff in other action games you learn AI and do skillful, precise dodges and parries. Here you play lame like hide behind a rock until MP refills then spam stuff (because it's arguably not built for that sort of thing, you're built to take some hits and KOs, especially with the revive mechanic). Probably can get used to it though (and it's probably not actually as bad as that makes it sound, especially if you play normally). I guess I'll note I'm not a true hardcore (or very skilled) action game player, but I do find mechanistic things like this fairly interesting.

Also the most "fun" stuff like Warping into enemies and Armiger isn't that spammable, but I suppose that's good? >_>

Anyways, all the small things are really (really) great, and that attention to detail there is quite encouraging. I could see it become my favorite FF (which is currently FF6 fwiw).

Edited by XeKr

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about it is awful?

Granted, I won't be playing it until this Sunday when I get home.

Too many things. The framerate is awful, using the camera is like fighting a bull, and the battle mechanics are poorly implemented. There's no cohesive way to attack and defend fluidly. You attack an enemy by holding the attack button. You defend damage by holding the dodge button. It looks nice, but the player does little else other than watch. You can't defend while you attack, and since animations for attacking are so long, it's impossible to defend against enemies since they attack too fast for you to stop before you are hit. So you're either going to be holding the attack button waiting for your enemies to die, or holding the defend button and doing nothing. Oh and by the way, you're going to be attacking for awhile, because all the enemies have ridiculous HP.

It’s kinda like you’re 3D Link (very grounded, limited crowd control) placed into a Platinum Games game of some kind, except sometimes you’re Final Form Sora. >_>. It’s pretty unique and imo hard to judge how “good” it is in this incomplete format.

Re enemy HP: I think the demo leveling system/stat curve messed this up, as it’s more reasonable after you camp a few times.

Also, every enemy melts after an Armiger activation, which presumably we’ll have for most of the game (just getting more and more swords throughout)? So maybe it’s expected in some sense? Even if the gap in combat ability is probably too big atm. Magic might help too.

[spoiler=for fun, small things that are really cool, non-exhaustive list, minor spoilers]
- Goblins actually being kinda hard unless you have immunity status. Very RPG like, moreso when we can choose what to cook.
- Bros helping you when robots heartrip you
- Bros protecting and healing you in general. Would be cooler with gambit-like system.

- Really all the little character and monster animations
- Ramuh aftermath, and that it’s all in engine.
- Ramuh’s staff is Ixion.
- For the demo only, I surprisingly do not mind the (lack of) ambient music; mostly quiet in the open map except in certain locations. It’s hard not to smile when the chocobo theme fades in.

Edited by XeKr

• 2 weeks later...

I played it and I had a lot of fun, I assume they just made Duscae using a bunch of the core mechanics but it's not really going to be part of the game. The leveling curve is going to be a lot different in the game.

It got really irritating at points, namely in Ramuh's temple, but then I realized that I should've set up camp before doing that because they were a joke with a few levels.

• 9 months later...

Sorry for the double post and necropost but I feel like this thread needs an update.

The director just confirmed that this game is slated for a 2016 release. From what I hear they were actually basically done with stuff and they were doing testing, but don't quote me on that.

Sorry for the double post and necropost but I feel like this thread needs an update.

The director just confirmed that this game is slated for a 2016 release. From what I hear they were actually basically done with stuff and they were doing testing, but don't quote me on that.

quoted :P:

Do you have a source for this?

They're eliminated from the playoffs boss, meanwhile this game is slated for a 2016 release.

I don't think your comment works or is witty, it just shows you didn't read.

That's how much I don't believe in this game coming out. Gut feeling.

When's the last time they gave us an expected release date for this game? Are you also aware there's a pretty fully functional demo that they've spent time updating?

Sounds like they've basically spent time doing the game scenario and debugging. I wouldn't be surprised if the game was like 80% playable now and was approaching a debugging phase.