Taking Beginning Japanese! (Now for Help With Homework)

FionordeQuester

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

にわにはにわにわとりがいる 裏庭には二羽、庭には二羽鶏が居る

Sentences such as this are obviously an issue, but I think there are better ways of going about this than the nightmare that is kanji like a spacing system.

にわにはにわにわとりがいる 裏庭には二羽、庭には二羽鶏が居る

Sentences such as this are obviously an issue, but I think there are better ways of going about this than the nightmare that is kanji like a spacing system.

Kanji really isn't a nightmare, and it's necessary because of Japanese's syllabary and its limited range of vocalization. The number of characters isn't too daunting at all, and it provides for a deeper level of understanding than more conventional western alphabets would allow. There is a level of wordplay that exists in Japanese which isn't shared in English. Consider the following, for example, a commentary on the mid 1800 forcible opening of Japan by Admiral Perry's Black Ships:

泰平の

眠りを覚ます

上喜撰

たった四杯で

夜も眠れず

Awoken from a peaceful rest,

Joukisen (a green tea that has caffeine in it),

Just four cups,

And you cannot sleep even at night

太平の

眠りを覚ます

蒸気船

たった四杯で

夜も眠れず

The Pacific,

Awoken from slumber,

Steam-powered ships,

Just four of them,

Keeps us from sleeping at night

Both are pronounced the same way, yet the wordplay allows for conventions that aren't well matched in western writings.

So, I just completed Japanese class...don't know how well I did, but I THINK I at least did better than the Mid-term, on which I got a C. Kicked butt on the Kanji section at any rate...

Before we put this thread on hiatus for an indefinite amount of time...I'm got a favor. Would anyone mind translating this?

Dragon Quest III (J2) [C]!.png

Dragon Quest III (J) [C]!.png

From what I could gather, both from babelfish and a ton of hunting around, this guy was unable to feed his kid any longer.

As for the context, dude asked you to get "his" purse from a house, you get it, but then it turns out to be someone elses house, you get arrested, and you say that the old man tricked you. And this here is his response.

EDIT: As for the reason I ask...it's because the SNES fan translation has him saying that he accidently sent you to the wrong house instead of his house...but the official GBC translation has him saying that he purposely tricked you so that he could get some money to feed his kid. So in the SNES translation, the whole thing is a big joke, while in the GBC translation, it's actually fairly tragic.

Edited by FionordeQuester

Neat. So it was the fan translation that was taking liberties, and not the official localization...that's pretty interesting...and kind of odd, considering that there are other places where that particular translation seemed overly literal. But oh well, at least it still doesn't seem as bad as how the J2E translation of FF4 was.

This is for a script comparison project I'm doing with a game called Dragon Quest III btw. Studying all the script differences between the two, you know?

Edited by FionordeQuester