Dragon villains

Dragoncat

48 members have voted

1. 1. Which game did the evil dragon thing the best?

• Shadow Dragon/Dark Dragon and Sword of Light
    • Sword of Seals
    • Blazing Sword
    • Awakening
    • Genealogy of the Holy War
  2. 2. Who is your favorite dragon villain?

• Medeus
    • Idoun
    • Nameless fire dragon
    • Grima
    • Loptyr

You might be able to tell from my username that I love dragons...thought I'd make a topic about the magical scaley baddies in FE. This has been done a lot of times in the series. Since I love them so much I'm glad they're not restricted to being evil, but yeah. This topic is about the evil ones.

We have Medeus and Grima who are similar. Both hate mankind with a fierce passion and want to eradicate that species. Medeus is an earth dragon, Grima...is a huge four winged six eyed embodiment of evil itself. His opposite and mortal enemy is Naga, the divine protector of humans. I find myself wondering if there's any connection between Medeus and Grima. The worlds they appear in are apparently one and the same. Could they be the same dragon even? They have their differences...mostly in appearance but still.

And then we have the nameless fire dragon that Nergal summons at the end of Blazing Sword. It was given no development, it was just there. Idoun in Sword of Seals is apparently a different story. But I know nothing about her, haven't played it.

Discuss.

EDIT - Added the one I had no idea even existed.

Edited by Dragoncat

You also have Formotiis in Sacred Stones. He's just a ghost/soul possessing someone during most of the game, but in the end you fight his resurrected dragon zombie body.

It seems he's more of an evil god if he's truly the opponent of the nameless goddes of Magvel. Or a strong demon. I don't think that was ever made clear.

Idoun.

Just Idoun.

Grima was bad, the Fire Dragon was just... there, as you mentioned, and Medeus... I don't know what to say about him.

But Idoun didn't want to fight. She was an innocent Divine Dragon girl who was kidnapped by the Fire Dragons, who destroyed her soul to make her obey and create War Dragons. AND the Fire Dragons were simply retaliating against the humans, who made the first strike in the Scouring.

And Fortmortiis is definitely no dragon, lol. The closest thing to a dragon villain in FE8 is Morva and THAT is a stretch to call him a villain.

But Idoun didn't want to fight. She was an innocent Divine Dragon girl who was kidnapped by the Fire Dragons, who destroyed her soul to make her obey and create War Dragons. AND the Fire Dragons were simply retaliating against the humans, who made the first strike in the Scouring.

She was a demon dragon, but that might just be the new thing post corruption. Like I said, haven't played it.

The scouring was...a perfect example of how the people of Elibe didn't give dragons the respect they deserve.

Idoun.

Just Idoun.

That doesn't sound like a compelling villain (speaking as someone who has played FE6)...

While Medeus was cool and all, I think that the back story of The Scouring wins it for the Elibe dragons (but not the fire dragon). The whole idea that Roy and his crew are dealing with the dragons because the humans betrayed the dragons really hammers in the idea that neither side is necessarily good or bad, one is just more extreme than the other.

She was a demon dragon, but that might just be the new thing post corruption. Like I said, haven't played it.

The scouring was...a perfect example of how the people of Elibe didn't give dragons the respect they deserve.

It is.

It's stated that she was a Divine Dragon, who was turned into a Demon/Mage Dragon when her soul was destroyed.

And play it, because FE6 is grand.

It really was. Elibe is a messed up place.

Favourite evil dragon by far is Idoun because she isn't actually evil but possessed. For the little time she appears she gets a lot of character development unlike Medeus who all we know is he was resurrected and wanted to conquer the world. And Grima was probably one of the worst it barely talks about his first attempt to slaughter mankind and nothing on how he managed to come back.

Loptousu wins this one. Medeus comes at a close second, because despite being complete and utter evil, he has his reasons.

Lopt made a fellowship that worshipped him for generations, and right before he died, the followers vowed to revive him. As soon as Manfroy stept into the picture, he did all kinds of insane stuff just so Loptousu could be born again. And with Arvis being the Emperor, nothing could stop him.

His sole desire is the death of the holy crusaders who killed him before. That doesn't mean he's going to stop having fun as a prick and condoning child hunts in his name.

At the end of the game, he has the head of Houses Dozel, Freege, and Velthomer at his desposal and an army of Deadlords ready to kill the crusaders. The game even says they would have no chance of defeating him without the Book of Naga.

@Duke: I don't think that Lopt only cares about destruction.

Ishtar, I think there's a misunderstanding. I am not telling them to kill

the children. I just want to educate them to be fitting citizens for my

empire. Those who withstand the training will earn high posts and rule over

the other inferior citizens. In other words, they will become new nobles,

Ishtar. I'm giving them a chance to grasp their happiness.

He wants to subjugate the humans and mold them in his own image. He's also very practical; he travels to another continent rather than try to take Naga head-on in the backstory, and takes an interest in the only weapon that can nullify his power. Any villain who has read the Evil Overlord List gets significant points from me. (even though he entrusts Julia to Manfroy, who clearly hasn't)

Medeus' motivation is clear enough, but what does he actually do and what is his MO? IMO he shows his age.

I agree with Jotari on Idoun (like Medeus, backstory does not a villain make) Fire Dragon similarly barely counts as a villain.

Actually, I think Jahn is the second best dragon villain in the series. He's quite devious in twisting the truth to manipulate Zephiel and attempt to manipulate Roy.

Edited by WeaponsOfMassBaldrick

I'n not speaking stat/battle wise at all. Purely story/character wise.

For the first option, I say Awakening. Not sure why. It's either that or FE12/FE11. Haven't played FE6; I wouldn't know.

Second option: Idoun. She seemed cool IMO. Plus other reasons that other people have already said.

BTW Glac: I thought she was a Mage Dragon?

I like Medeus, mostly cause he looks pretty badass, but second because of his influence. He corrupts friend and foe alike to fight anyone he desires, turning the friendly into enemy and forcing the peaceful to take up arms, that's what makes him a threatening villain.

Even though he wasn't a boss you fight against, I think the villain of FE4 should be mentioned.

Even though he wasn't a boss you fight against, I think the villain of FE4 should be mentioned.

You do. He's using Julius as his vessel, since he's the only full blooded member of the Lopt Sect. Once Julius dies, you see Loptousu dying with him.

Do you have a source for that? The only example I can think of is Hardin, but wasn't that Garnef's work?

In Shadow Dragon all the nations were at peace before Dohlr started the war, if I recall correctly he got Gra, Grust and Macedon all to turn against Altea and Archanea. You could say it may have been Gharnef's doing, but I'm almost certain that Gharnef was simply a speaker for Medeus who could not leave his castle/death.

Edited by Knight

I would have to say lopitusu, but since i can't vote that, i'll say fire dragon, because fire emblem is usualy not at it's strongest when it pulls out this plot, and "just there" is better then bad. (it helps that i like nergal.)

You do. He's using Julius as his vessel, since he's the only full blooded member of the Lopt Sect. Once Julius dies, you see Loptousu dying with him.

IIRC, He isin't dying, just being expelled from jlious as julious dies. He is still alive, and could theoreticaly return.

Edited by sirmola