[Spoiler] Pit Differences

Randoman

Seeing how I already put in the title that there's spoilerish territory, I hope spoiler tags won't be necessary in this topic from here on out. Anyways...

What exactly are the gameplay differences between Pit and Dark Pit? The only ones I know of for sure are their Final Smashes. The Smash Bros. wiki also says that Dark Pit is "stronger but has less launching capabilities," but I didn't really feel a difference.

I guess I should mention that I actually was able to spike an opponent with Dark Pit's down air, while I've never seen Pit do that in any of the Smash Bros. games. I think I tipped Dark Pit's down air, though I can't remember for sure.

The differences are:

- Dark Pit's arrows are stronger while Pit's bend more

- The knockback angles of the Side B (Dark Pit has more diagonal, while Pit sends them horizontally)

- Dark Pit's Side B does 0.5% more.

As someone who has been using Pit recently, I can say that his down air does indeed spike

Aside from that, Pit's arrows are weaker but more controllable; they can be angled much more than Dark Pit's arrows. Pit's side special also sends people vertically, whilst Dark Pit's sends people more in a diagonal trajectory. Because the actual knockback isn't that different, Pit's side special is a more reliable kill move. However, Dart Pit's side special has better armour of it, and maybe more shield-breaking capabilities, I think

Aside from that--and their final smashes--they're exactly the same. I'd argue Pit's slightly better than Dark Pit. But Dark Pit has sass, so that's definitely a perk for him

Edited by Dusk Hunt Dodge

But Dark Pit has sass, so that's definitely a perk for him

Homo vs Emo, riiight

I hardly see any Pit users online (i see a few For Glory DarkPit users but they're awful). Dark Pit's diagonal knockback is actually worse for him IMO because it makes opponent recovery easier in general, versus a straight horizontal knockback that forces your opponent to at least use one of their two recovery methods to recovery height.

Homo vs Emo, riiight

I'm... not sure how to take this. That comment shouldn't be taken seriously, anyway. I've just seen people use Dark Pit over Pit purely because he has an attitude. I seriously do think Pit is the superior character out of the two

I was being completely sarcastic~ (mainly because that SmashBros Personality Test thing from the other day)

I think people just pick Dark Pit because Dark = Cool or something. I see so many Link!DarkSkin and Kirby!Black just because people associate Darkness with Coolness, and I think it's silliness

I love Dark Pit because he's a dork, so no, I don't associate darkness with coolness.

I mean, Dark Pit is the best dark copy character ever because he isn't to be taken seriously. He's satire, a parody of dark copies in fiction. I wish people who call him "Shadow with Wings" would get that through their damn thick skulls.

I love Dark Pit because he's a dork, so no, I don't associate darkness with coolness.

I mean, Dark Pit is the best dark copy character ever because he isn't to be taken seriously. He's satire, a parody of dark copies in fiction. I wish people who call him "Shadow with Wings" would get that through their damn thick skulls.

inb4 Dark Samus is better. I'm pretty sure this is a gameplay difference discussion not a general "Dark Pit Discussion" thread.

So the voice isn't different?

It is, but that isn't exactly the kind of "gameplay" difference he was talking about (despite them sharing a VA)

If we wanna go there, their taunts are completely different, their victory themes and poses are also different.

Thanks for the answers guys. So regarding different knockback angles for their A moves, is one of the Pits more vertical launching oriented while another is horizontal launching oriented? And if so, which one is which?

As someone who has been using Pit recently, I can say that his down air does indeed spike

Regular Pit can down air spike too? Good to know. I guess both of them have to tip their down airs, right?

Edited by Randoman

Thanks for the answers guys. So regarding different knockback angles for their A moves, is one of the Pits more vertical launching oriented while another is horizontal launching oriented? And if so, which one is which?

Pit is the one who launches vertically when he connects with his side+B. Without DI, it launches straight up. Dark Pit launches more towards the horizontal. Pit is better in stages with low vertical blast zones but Dark Pit can try to get an early gimp if he knocks someone over an edge.

Pit is the one who launches vertically when he connects with his side+B. Without DI, it launches straight up. Dark Pit launches more towards the horizontal. Pit is better in stages with low vertical blast zones but Dark Pit can try to get an early gimp if he knocks someone over an edge.

I know about their side B's launching angles. I was referring more to what Lord Raven was saying about their moves having different knockback angles in general. Seeing how A moves consist of a majority of a character's moveset, I was wondering how their knockback of their A moves differ in general.

Regular Pit can down air spike too? Good to know. I guess both of them have to tip their down airs, right?

There isn't a difference. Apart from the aforementioned differences with their neutral and side specials, everything is exactly the same between the two

And yeah, it's gotta hit them when they're directly below you

dark pit's side special has electrical properties, so unless this game is different in this regard from previous titles, it'll give more shield stun than pit's.

Edited by Cornet

The knockback angles are the same.

Side-B KOes at 142 for Pit. KOes at 136 for Dark Pit. Pit's knock-back is about a 85 degree angle Star KO. Dark Pit's is around 65 degrees and KOes with the right blast zone.
F-Smash are exactly the same, KOing the training CPU Pit at 98% and no lower. Same knock-back angle.
Down Smash both KO at 153% and no lower. Same angle.
Up Smash KOes at 127 for Pit. KOes at 127 for Dark Pit. Same angle.
F-Tilt Sweet-spot KOes at 182 for Pit. KOes at 182 for Dark Pit. Same angle.
Up-Tilt also KOes at 182 for Pit. Koes at 182 for Dark Pit. Same angle.
Dash Attack KOes at 256 for Pit. KOes at 256 for Dark Pit. Same angle.
F-Throw KOes at 165 for Pit. KOes at 165 for Dark Pit. Same angle.
Up-Throw KOes at 210 with Pit. KOes at 210 for Dark Pit. Same angle.
B-Air sweet-spot KOes at 136 for Pit. KOes at 136 for Dark Pit. Same angle.
F-Air sweet-spot KOes at 161 for Pit. KOes at 161 for Dark Pit. Same angle.

The knockback angles are the same.

Side-B KOes at 142 for Pit. KOes at 136 for Dark Pit. Pit's knock-back is about a 85 degree angle Star KO. Dark Pit's is around 65 degrees and KOes with the right blast zone.

F-Smash are exactly the same, KOing the training CPU Pit at 98% and no lower. Same knock-back angle.

Down Smash both KO at 153% and no lower. Same angle.

Up Smash KOes at 127 for Pit. KOes at 127 for Dark Pit. Same angle.

F-Tilt Sweet-spot KOes at 182 for Pit. KOes at 182 for Dark Pit. Same angle.

Up-Tilt also KOes at 182 for Pit. Koes at 182 for Dark Pit. Same angle.

Dash Attack KOes at 256 for Pit. KOes at 256 for Dark Pit. Same angle.

F-Throw KOes at 165 for Pit. KOes at 165 for Dark Pit. Same angle.

Up-Throw KOes at 210 with Pit. KOes at 210 for Dark Pit. Same angle.

B-Air sweet-spot KOes at 136 for Pit. KOes at 136 for Dark Pit. Same angle.

F-Air sweet-spot KOes at 161 for Pit. KOes at 161 for Dark Pit. Same angle.

I also found that all of their attacks deal the same damage. The only difference besides specials that I found is that Dark Pit's knockback scaling is slightly different than Pit's, making combos easier for him at low percentages but identical to Pit at higher percentages. I haven't tested if shield damage is different between the two, but I find it depressing that they are pretty much the same as eachother.

No wonder why I hear some people say this game has the laziest clones.

I also found that all of their attacks deal the same damage. The only difference besides specials that I found is that Dark Pit's knockback scaling is slightly different than Pit's, making combos easier for him at low percentages but identical to Pit at higher percentages. I haven't tested if shield damage is different between the two, but I find it depressing that they are pretty much the same as eachother.

No wonder why I hear some people say this game has the laziest clones.

And even Sakurai admits the clones are so lazily done is so they could skimp on playtesting, knowing that the characters would perform more or less identically in 90% of all situations. I wish they were at least Melee-levels of difference between the original cast but I think the change to full character was EXTREMELY late, considering they are hanging out in their own little clone land on the CSS. But even still, I play as Lucina a lot and she's one of my best characters to play as, so I've learned to live with the choices made. In the end it's kind of like all those shoto-clones that popped up in Street Fighter for a time.