What's your weight and height?

Try Danish. Two grammatical genders, and absolutely no rules for what is what, very big difference between spoken and written language, and a word (lyst) which can be pronounced in three different ways depending on whether it means "light", "has lit" or "wants to".

portuguese also has two grammatical genders with absolutely no rules for what is what :p

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Latin has three

yaaaaay

First declension and second declension are easy enough, first declension is mostly feminine with a few exceptions and second declension is mostly masculine (-us/-r) or neuter (-um)

Third declension?

Hahahahahaah no

It's a free for all there

the only way to know is to just know it

fuck

I don't remember much on the 4th declension but 5th I think is also mostly feminine

I really need to brush up my Latin grammar haha

Edited by Thor Odinson

Isn't that how it usually works with languages? The whole declensions thing is kind of weird to me anyways.

Also I heard that, like, Mandarin is really complicated because the same sounds can have different meanings because of simple inflections? Or something.

The inflections thing can be confusing to non-Mandarin speakers, yes, from a vocab sense. Grammatically, Mandarin is simple as fuck.

The word-gender thing seems to be a popular thing with European languages (though Latin seems to be one of the few with a neuter that I know of), but between my basic knowledge of Japanese (word usage differences between gendered humans notwithstanding) and native-fluency in Mandarin Chinese, the grammatical-gender differentiation afaik, is only a thing with pronouns there.

Edited by Thor Odinson