• Flight of the Bamboo Cutter ~ Lunatic Princess
    • The Venerable Ancient Battlefield ~ Suwa Foughten Field
    • Solar Sect of Mystic Wisdom ~ Nuclear Fusion
    • Emotional Skyscraper ~ Cosmic Mind
    • Great Fairy Wars ~ Fairy Wars
    • Shoutoku Legend ~ True Administrator
    • Kobito of the Shining Needle ~ Little Princess

!!!

I'm feeling better about my future prospects already.

Well, it could just be different playstyles. Like, I'm just incompatible with SA. Because iirc RAYKITTY~ 1cc'd SA even before TD came out, but didn't 1cc EoSD or UFO until much later, during Naggy's draft (which you should remember, since you were part of it). Still, though, if you can 1cc SA Normal, you should have no trouble with 1ccing any of the other Touhou games on Normal, except for HRtP and maybe PoDD/PoFV.

Also, I uploaded a replay of capturing Illusionary Dominance, if you were interested: http://replays.gensokyo.org/download.php?id=34909

I checked and I thought there was like some ball in the center covered by the danmaku. (Truth to be told, when I was trying for those normal 1ccs I was more interested in dodging danmaku, than I was at making sure that there was actually an enemy there). Also this totally explains why I can't beat the dang spellcard ~_~

Focusing on dodging danmaku during bosses is fine. There's even an ENEMY indicator at the bottom that lets you know whether you're under the boss or not without having to look up.

Well, same deal, I couldn't handle 66 whole seconds of Resurrection Butterfly...it sounds scary even now.

Well, Resurrection Butterfly contains two sets of butterflies for every iteration. Both red and blue butterflies fly in straight lines, but the blue ones radiate outward from Yuyuko, while the red ones fly in a criss-crossing pattern. So you should have an easy time during the blue butterflies, and would only need to bomb/die to the red butterflies. If you lack the confidence to read criss-crossing bullets, you can just expend all your remaining resources on the red butterflies.

Also, please do not pull a RAYKITTY by dying trying to collect items. Unless you're like, super close to getting an Extend, in which case you're better off bombing for it.

I cant do long spellcards ><

Remi's redmagic and Kanako's mountain of faith durations are stupidly long. Hate it ><

All game final spells are long, actually. Even Kaguya's Rainbow Danmaku (the only one you beat on Normal) has armor for like, 39 seconds and only after that you'd be able to damage her normally.

For Red Magic, my suggestion is to stay focused all the time so that you can see your hitbox. The bullets are slow, so you should be able to predict when you're getting walled so that you can bomb before it's too late. Whenever you bomb, look for Remilia (she'll be in bat form at that time) and reposition yourself to be under her, so that you can get some free damage before the bullets are set up again. And uh, do watch out for the bubbles, because even though there aren't much of them, they can kill you while you're too distracted by the red bullets. Avoid staying on the sides too much because the purple bubbles bounce off them. Speaking of which, if you like to hog the absolute bottom of the screen, please don't do that here. Stay a bit higher up from the bottom (my suggestion: approximately 25% of the screen height from the bottom).

For Mountain of Faith, I would strongly recommend going unfocused most of the time, because you'll want the speed. Unless you're using MarisaC, in which case it's recommend that you stick the frostthrowers at Kanako's feet before the spell actually starts, and then dodge the whole thing focused. If you're playing on Normal, NEVER try to slip through the gaps between cards of the same set. It IS possible, but it requires high precision and is both risky and unnecessary. Just stay unfocused and move through the gaps between different sets of cards. Again, avoid hogging the bottom, though the spell pattern doesn't let you stay that high up anyway. Unlike Red Magic, don't be afraid to go to the sides. It may often be much easier for you to dodge by going to the far right/left. If you're using ReimuB/MarisaA/MarisaB, you'll want to return to the center to damage Kanako, but you should wait for a good opportunity instead of taking big risks. I would not recommend focusing at all (unless you're MarisaC) but if you find yourself under Kanako and are not immediately threatened, you can afford to focus for a few seconds to increase your damage output.

• Replies 14.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ZemZem

• Komeiji Koishi

• Pull My Devil Trigger

• Lance Masayoshi

What are you on about

DDC is probably the game in the series needing the least amount of memorization to beat it

The Extra Stage in particular is much less memorization-heavy than a lot of others are

Im not talking about memorisation. Its probably a long time ago for you, but when people first start out playing touhou, they are generally crappy at even basic dodging, and pattern reading, then you play heaps and that improves and you can suddenly pull all kinds of crazy stuff.

DDC is just gimmicky, once you get your head around the screen flipping-Its all cool.

For Red Magic, my suggestion is to stay focused all the time so that you can see your hitbox. The bullets are slow, so you should be able to predict when you're getting walled so that you can bomb before it's too late. Whenever you bomb, look for Remilia (she'll be in bat form at that time) and reposition yourself to be under her, so that you can get some free damage before the bullets are set up again. And uh, do watch out for the bubbles, because even though there aren't much of them, they can kill you while you're too distracted by the red bullets. Avoid staying on the sides too much because the purple bubbles bounce off them. Speaking of which, if you like to hog the absolute bottom of the screen, please don't do that here. Stay a bit higher up from the bottom (my suggestion: approximately 25% of the screen height from the bottom).

For Mountain of Faith, I would strongly recommend going unfocused most of the time, because you'll want the speed. Unless you're using MarisaC, in which case it's recommend that you stick the frostthrowers at Kanako's feet before the spell actually starts, and then dodge the whole thing focused. If you're playing on Normal, NEVER try to slip through the gaps between cards of the same set. It IS possible, but it requires high precision and is both risky and unnecessary. Just stay unfocused and move through the gaps between different sets of cards. Again, avoid hogging the bottom, though the spell pattern doesn't let you stay that high up anyway. Unlike Red Magic, don't be afraid to go to the sides. It may often be much easier for you to dodge by going to the far right/left. If you're using ReimuB/MarisaA/MarisaB, you'll want to return to the center to damage Kanako, but you should wait for a good opportunity instead of taking big risks. I would not recommend focusing at all (unless you're MarisaC) but if you find yourself under Kanako and are not immediately threatened, you can afford to focus for a few seconds to increase your damage output.

For Raindow Danmaku all I did was outlast Kaguya with like 6 lives. If I was any crappier at the other stages, I'll be stuck on Rainbow Danmaku as well. I was actually stuck on that for quite a while ><

Unfocused mountain of faith o.o I havent thought of that. All i've done is stay in the middle and bomb when I realise I am trapped. (Which means I tried outlasting Kanako too, except that didn't work because I *didn't* have like 6 lives in stock.)

After I mess around on UFO Hard/Lunatic some, I'm going to try and 1cc MoF Normal and SA Normal.

I can make it to Kanako in MoF Normal and I believe I can do well in SA Normal. And after them, most likely TD Normal.

Im not talking about memorisation. Its probably a long time ago for you, but when people first start out playing touhou, they are generally crappy at even basic dodging, and pattern reading, then you play heaps and that improves and you can suddenly pull all kinds of crazy stuff.

...uh, did I offend you somehow? I know the troubles of new-ish players very well, considering that not only was I once a beginner myself, I also regularly watch their replays and give them advice to help them improve, so that was kinda uncalled for.

...uh, did I offend you somehow? I know the troubles of new-ish players very well, considering that not only was I once a beginner myself, I also regularly watch their replays and give them advice to help them improve, so that was kinda uncalled for.

Oh, I didn't mean for it to sound offensive, im really sorry.

I thought the exact feeling might be foggy, since it is for me when playing other games.

I was just saying that I meant the really weird improvement feeling in Touhou, when you can suddenly do things you previously couldn't and you cant figure out what exactly changed.

I know you give really helpful advice, and I appreciate it (I was in IPC once when you were giving advice).

Upon reading back, my comment did sound pretty bad, sorry about that.

Edited by Akinaoki

DDC is just gimmicky, once you get your head around the screen flipping-Its all cool.

To be fair, that's only three spells (all from the same boss), and one of them (This Side Up) still requires quite some skill whether you choose to invoke the gimmick or not.

You Grow Bigger can also be considered gimmicky as well, I guess, but you definitely still need quite some skill to last through it even after you know how to deal with it.

I agree with your point for Reverse Hierarchy though, which used to take out 5+ lives in my first few encounters (which was well after I 1cc'd eleven other Touhou games, btw), but I was able to capture it easily once I got comfortable with the gimmick. So yeah, Reverse Hierarchy can easily kill runs due to pure screen-flipping gimmicks.

For Raindow Danmaku all I did was outlast Kaguya with like 6 lives. If I was any crappier at the other stages, I'll be stuck on Rainbow Danmaku as well. I was actually stuck on that for quite a while ><

Well, Rainbow Danmaku is basically pure continuous streaming+restreaming while slipping through the gaps in Kaguya's bullets. And from I've seen, you seem to have absolutely no idea of the concept of streaming so yeah, ehehe

I'm pretty sure MoF throws enough resources at you that you can outlast MoF, though again, that requires you to not spend too much of your resources to everything else, though you can still afford to bomb spam A LOT.

Unfocused mountain of faith o.o I havent thought of that. All i've done is stay in the middle and bomb when I realise I am trapped. (Which means I tried outlasting Kanako too, except that didn't work because I *didn't* have like 6 lives in stock.)

You can't really survive if you stay in the middle; you pretty much have to move to the sides to dodge (unless you slip between cards of the same set, which is NOT recommended)

DDC Hard Sakuya 1cc (appspot is having a bit of an oopsie)

And that ends my tour of the Windows Hard modes, Phantasmagori-AI notwithstanding. Fairy Wars untouched in years, should probably try at least Normal sometime. I had fun. Fun fun fun.

Wait shit I mentally blocked out UFO Hard ffffffu

Still haven't done any of the PC-98 Hard modes, will probably tryhard at MS if it gets to it.

edit: soew is not easier than ms wtf lol

Edited by Fera

I TAKE BACK EVERYTHING I'VE SAID ABOUT UFO SANAEB

I just about reached Vajra with this girl, from dying hopelessly to Ichirin; her bomb survival is absolutely unreal. Now if I can fix those deaths I keep getting, I could actually pass by Shou and replenish bomb count in Stage 6, then try and 2-life Hardmode Byakuren or something.

I TAKE BACK EVERYTHING I'VE SAID ABOUT UFO SANAEB

I just about reached Vajra with this girl, from dying hopelessly to Ichirin; her bomb survival is absolutely unreal. Now if I can fix those deaths I keep getting, I could actually pass by Shou and replenish bomb count in Stage 6, then try and 2-life Hardmode Byakuren or something.

Make me proud, amigo.

isn't sanae b in ufo like op or some shit

Her bomb is broken and amazing.

gj Fera

Wait shit I mentally blocked out UFO Hard ffffffu

That's because UFO Hard is stupid and dumb. :<

Still haven't done any of the PC-98 Hard modes, will probably tryhard at MS if it gets to it.

Go for it! As long as the bosses don't camp in your face all the time, MS Hard isn't that bad compared to some shit like SA Hard or UFO Hard. xD

isn't sanae b in ufo like op or some shit

Not really "overpowered", she just has an amazingly good bomb.

Whee, speaking of UFO, I finally cleared UFO Normal (ReimuA)! ...and promptly hit x on the replay save screen. =_=

Don't care, though. EX Stage is fun and terrifying, and I can move onto other normal modes now.

-

Also, it was fun hearing Fera work on UFO hard earlier on skype today.

Edited by LunaSaint

Wheee, captured all of Mokou's spells in Spell Practice~

I actually find Possessed by Phoenix and Hourai Doll easier than Ikasawa's Moon Curse and Hollow Giant Woo. Fujiyama Volcano is definitely the most annoying for me. I still don't think I'm ready to tackle IN Extra though...

Then again, I'm probably doing most of these spells wrong. Like, Hourai Doll was being really annoying until I randomly decided to let the red bullets guide me while ignoring the blue bullets. Suddenly everything started magically clicking into place and I soon captured it. Maybe the other tough spells have cheap tricks to deal with them too?

EDIT: Oh what the

I just tried IN Extra for fun. I've never actually seriously attempted it before. I ended up clearing it!

...on a non-serious attempt, my first one in this year. Yeah, uh, IN Extra is definitely the easiest Extra Stage once you have access to Mokou's spells on Spell Practice.

Edited by Railgun

And in less than an hour later,

mhPuAMC.png

Imperishable Shooting unlocked~

(the 7 spells I captured were Old History, Next History, Flying Phoenix, Flaw of Forgiving Shrine, Xu Fu's Dimension, Honest Man's Death, Phoenix Tail, and Hourai Doll)

Now all I need to do is capture Hourai Elixir on Hard and then I can unlock both EX Keine's and Mokou's Last Words!

Edited by Railgun

Wheee, captured all of Mokou's spells in Spell Practice~

I actually find Possessed by Phoenix and Hourai Doll easier than Ikasawa's Moon Curse and Hollow Giant Woo. Fujiyama Volcano is definitely the most annoying for me. I still don't think I'm ready to tackle IN Extra though...

Then again, I'm probably doing most of these spells wrong. Like, Hourai Doll was being really annoying until I randomly decided to let the red bullets guide me while ignoring the blue bullets. Suddenly everything started magically clicking into place and I soon captured it. Maybe the other tough spells have cheap tricks to deal with them too?

EDIT: Oh what the

I just tried IN Extra for fun. I've never actually seriously attempted it before. I ended up clearing it!

...on a non-serious attempt, my first one in this year. Yeah, uh, IN Extra is definitely the easiest Extra Stage once you have access to Mokou's spells on Spell Practice.

well yeah when you have access to all the spells before even attempting it I'd be surprised if you took very long to clear a single stage :'D

gz anyway