It's Amiibo time

Robinigo

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, and I'm after Rosalina too. Carter and I are going to have our work cut out for us. ._.

I'm getting worried!My brother missed his chance to pre-order to Shulk amiibo. And I'm not letting that happen to me. Hopefully we can be quick enough to pre-order her, I mean, if they even LET us pre-order Rosalina.

If not, I'll need to rush to Target as quickly as possible!

Wooooooooooow! How could they let that happen? Two Falchions, three arms, what more could go wrong?

Wooooooooooow! How could they let that happen? Two Falchions, three arms, what more could go wrong?

A legless, floating Peach with four arms (one a Samus arm canon) and a giant dent in the front of her hair. Imagine what it would go for on ebay.

I'm not sure if I should've posted it here or made a separate thread for it, but here's two videos of interest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZVw_RKKdrM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBimdjWyFh0

Yeah, people have hacked amiibos for characters who don't have them yet. I don't know for sure if they did it with a pre-existing amiibo or if they made a custom amiibo device (though I'm guessing it's the former).

Which reminds me, I've always been curious as to what happens when you scan an amiibo for a secret character you haven't unlocked. Will it just go on as normal and let you face the secret character amiibo despite not unlocking him/her or will it ban you from using him/her until you've unlocked the character?

Edited by Randoman

I'm not sure if I should've posted it here or made a separate thread for it, but here's two videos of interest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZVw_RKKdrM

Yeah, people have hacked amiibos for characters who don't have them yet. I don't know for sure if they did it with a pre-existing amiibo or if they made a custom amiibo device (though I'm guessing it's the former).

Which reminds me, I've always been curious as to what happens when you scan an amiibo for a secret character you haven't unlocked. Will it just go on as normal and let you face the secret character amiibo despite not unlocking him/her or will it ban you from using him/her until you've unlocked the character?

Well you do have to remember that Amiibos use the typical protocol for Near-Field Communications devices. This is actually something that really doesn't surprise me. I agree that I'm not sure exactly how they did it, but it's not as impressive as one may think.

If there are no pre-orders available, does that mean their entire amiibo stock for that character will only be available for people who pre-ordered?

(Ex. Rosalina is unavailable for pre-order at target. Does that mean only people who pre-ordered her will be able to get her?)

Edited by Tsunami922

I know Ike is a difficult and detailed character to make a figure of, but...they couldn't at least make Ragnell stand up straight? It doesn't look that bad overall though.

Yeah, it is pretty amazing. Though, I'd bet that Nintendo could save his employees quite a few headaches if they didn't insist on using the exact same poses as the ones in the Smash artwork. And as for me, I would definitely prefer a Link with both feet on the ground anyway. Thankfully Ike already does that.

Anyway, it's good they recolored Ragnel's support. When it was the same color as the blade, it looked even more irritating then Link's support. Just like Marth, it seems like the hero of the blue flames will end up looking really fine.

Yeah, it is pretty amazing. Though, I'd bet that Nintendo could save his employees quite a few headaches if they didn't insist on using the exact same poses as the ones in the Smash artwork. And as for me, I would definitely prefer a Link with both feet on the ground anyway. Thankfully Ike already does that.

Anyway, it's good they recolored Ragnel's support. When it was the same color as the blade, it looked even more irritating then Link's support. Just like Marth, it seems like the hero of the blue flames will end up looking really fine.

Yeah looks like it. I also didn't notice the different color support until you brought it up but definetely looks better that way.

I still don't like how Ike's feet were moved farther apart to cause Ragnell to be crooked and how his waist looks too thin compared to his upper torso. It's not even that thin in the prototype... Otherwise, it looks good enough to me too. :P

The real problem here regarding the angled Ragnell is simply the size of the base. Give Ike a larger base than other amiibos, or make his figure smaller to make sure it all fits on the base without any changes to posture? Looks like they simply chose to angle the Ragnell so it stays on the base.

It's not the size of the base. Compare the feet on the prototype Ike to the feet on the final Ike. The feet on the final Ike are farther apart. The bases on the two figures are exactly the same size and the prototype Ike's Ragnell stands up straight just fine.

You're still missing my point. Look at the feet on both Ike figures and compare them. The newer figure has his feet farther apart, so it forces Ragnell to be moved over a little bit, and that's why it's crooked.

You're still missing my point. Look at the feet on both Ike figures and compare them. The newer figure has his feet farther apart, so it forces Ragnell to be moved over a little bit, and that's why it's crooked.

If you look at Ike's pose not from the front, but from any other angle such as side or top, you'd see his arm is extended in front of him - not directly by his side - meaning his sword is resting on the floor somewhere in front of him and not to the side. Granted the angle of this amiibo in the pictures make it a bit hard to tell where things are actually resting, but looking at Ike's model in-game will show you what I've just said. The distance between the feet does not affect Ragnell's position. My guess is that the feet have been distanced apart so that the figure itself is strengthened and less likely to break from the base.

Here I've superimposed the old and new pictures:

1wC1xXs.png

From what can be seen here, the distance between Ike's left foot and the position of Ragnell on the ground has hardly changed, so I'm going to have to disagree with your opinion that Ragnell is tilted because of the increased spacing of the feet. From what I can see, the sword is tilted more because Ike's right arm is now lowered (because Ragnell has also been shortened), and is hanging over the edge of the base, unlike the old version.

If anything, if the bigger spacing of the feet was somehow affecting the sword's angle, wouldn't it end up tilting away from Ike, and not towards him?

Also worth mentioning is that the two versions are not facing the exact same direction. Were they facing the camera at the same direction, I don't think the spacing of the feet would look changed much, if at all. Despite this, it also looks like the new amiibo is tilting forwards a bit compared to the old version, further tilting the sword.

I was just thinking...

Would rotating the Ike amiibo a certain angle yield an appearance mirroring that of his artwork? I know Falcon's amiibo had to be rotated to fit in the packaging, so I was wondering if Ike would be a similar case.