Fire Emblem: Wretched Whispers, Act 2: Warpath

charlie_

"I can go with you, sure. I hadn't really thought too much about what I wanted to do, once we got back into town..." Celestia replied, thinking it over for a moment. She wasn't quite sure how to reply to Melanie's compliment on her usage of the spell... she had just been using it as intended, after all.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Vraiment?" Giddy Mel was hard to hide, but she had to question that, just a bit. "Zere ees nossing you wish to do 'ere? Ben, I guess eef I am good enough to spend time wis..." She didn't have the gold to spend on Anna's things, and with Taima gone and Magali quiet, there wasn't anyone she wished to talk to, there. "Zen, let us go, oui?" Mel took hold of Celestia hand, bringing her along to the library. She didn't pull or tug this time, she was... Content, walking hand in hand at a slower pace.

Declan didn't really notice the changing colours in Shylah's eyes, but winced a bit at the bit about voices in her head. Was that normal for a dark mage? And, for that matter, was this girl truly a dark mage? Aside from the supposed voices in her head, Shylah really didn't seem like a dark mage to him. Something felt off, but that was beside the point.

"Well, you sure do talk a fair bit... Maybe that's part of it?" A half-hearted attempt to generate a bit of humour in the situation, to lighten the mood and make things easier on Declan. Of course, she kept going on. It was actually rather unusual, and it reminded him a bit of Melanie - and, to a degree, Arietta.

"War's a bitch, that's for sure. Take it from a guy who's actually from around these parts; the city's a lot more vibrant when half the town's not out dying for crown and country. And..." His gaze slid around, to behind him as the rest of the group were communicating amongst themselves. "I am, yeah. We all are. Granted, we're just a pack of mercenaries, but still. Pays a lot better than you'd think these days."

Ivan thought he was the strong there was, Ivan fall, justice still having much learn.

Lucky those not be having time to stabbing, other help Ivan back healthy.

Ivan would being leave others report back, hoping to resting as much as could. Ivan took out shiny from pocket, luck charm still.

"Because I am trés bizarre! Hon hon hon~" Melanie exaggerated her laugh, letting it flow into a regular one, while she led Celestia off to the Library.

Luckily, the building was still open, unlike everything else in the town. So in they went, Melanie hopping over to the counter that she was just barely tall enough to lean onto. "Excuse! I was 'ere before, I do not know eef you remember. Ben, I am 'ere for ze dark magique zis time, not light. I 'ave gold, eef you 'ave anysing advanced. I am... Really looking to learn some more, eef I can."

The familiar capital had been almost depleted in liveliness, and it led Magali to quietly observe how things had changed so drastically over the short timeframe they'd been away. I wonder if Angala is in a similar state... With much of the group splitting before her notice, Magali decided a leisure walk through the vicinity would do her well. There would still be enough time until she'd have to go to the barracks.

It didn't take long for Magali's gaze to fall on the curious sight of a white-haired girl next to a sign, and Declan right next to her. How curious. "Hello, Declan." Magali softly interjected, "And you too, miss." Magali let her gaze wander about the stranger, until it rested at the same sign they were first looking at --what was so great about it? How curious. "My name is Magali, are you new around? Things have been more quiet since the war, but some places should still be open." The dancer kept a soft smile all the while.

Edited by Xinnidy

Wake

"Talk a fair bit? What do you mean?" Shylah tilted her head at his statement, eyes flaring a light blue in confusion. "A native of Bonvale, then... I suppose for the time being, I'll have to take your word on how nice it usually is. The streets are empty and everything feels out of place..." She shrugged. "I suppose it can't be helped. Much is beyond our control, but we must adapt, be it this war you must fight in or these..." She paused for a moment, trying to think of a word, eyes flashing red. "These... wretched whispers that plague me so. Mercenaries, you say? What do you use? I can't say I'm a total stranger to the battlefield myself, though not in anything like this war..."

She turned to face the other woman who approached her. "A pleasure to meet you, Magali. The name sounds... somewhat familiar, almost. I arrived only today in Bonvale, and my timing was not the best. Are you a fighter as well?"

A Fighter

"He did earn the rank of Captain for real. It does sound hard, though... fists and bows aren't anything like each other. I wonder how he manages being so good at both." Mac sighed when she asked how he was. "To be honest, I don't know what to do either. I'm not allowed into the army because of my vision, but fighting's all I got, so I dunno what to do. Frustration... that's how I'm feeling, too.

Edited by Reinfleche

"Yeah, that is impressive. He was a tough fighter. I'm still not sure how I won, to be honest. Though I'm pretty surprised I beat you too, so there you go." She laughed but then frowned slightly. "What's the matter with your eyes? Why would that prevent you from joining?" She hesitated and then casually mentioned, "Well, if the army won't accept you, why not join up with one of the mercenary groups like the one I'm in? I mean, they tend to not have the same strict restrictions, you know?"

The librarian was actually at his desk, this time. While the medallion he had been obsessing over several days ago was still in plain view for Melanie and Celestia, it didn't seem to be the center of his attention this time. "I see." he nodded. "I do remember you, I think. If dark magic is what you seek, then perhaps this will do." He pulled a book from a sizable pile that had been accumulating on his desk, and placed it at the front. 'Dark Intrigue' seemed to be the title. "And can I do anything for you, young lady?" he asked, addressing Celestia this time.

The walk to the barracks had been uneventful. Despite the relative lack of people in town, Peter hadn't run into another Harrier. I guess they don't want to think of fighting for now. Once in the barracks, he looked around.

"Huh, I could've sworn this was where I talked to someone last time. . ."

"Trés bien." Mel was glad that the librarian had remembered her, and that he had something worth reading for dark magic. Though... It seemed to be a rather hefty tome, with an intriguing title. At least it'd give her enough reading material. There was that Medallion, though... "Hmm..." While Celestia was asking about light magic for herself, Melanie couldn't stop staring at the small item, picking up and holding onto the book. "Ben, ehm... What ess zat Medallion?" She had to know, now. Maybe it was magical! That'd be really neat. And if it was, maybe it did something. That'd be even neater.

"That's not a bad price. Very well then, I'd like that tome, please!" Wolfgang replied enthusiastically, handing over the required gold in exchange for the tome.

Wolfgang buys the Luna tome for 950 gold.

Turning to Orpheus, who had finished purchasing an axe from Calden, he asked, "Hey, Orpheus, do you want to join me? I'm heading over to an acquaintance's place here...she's part of the army too, so maybe we can figure out what's happened here while we were away."

Orpheus buys the Guardian Axe for 600 gold!

Content with his business from Calden, Orpheus finally had something a little more potent. Maybe the midget wasn't that bad after all? He could have sold it to anyone. That raised the question, why hadn't he sold it? Was it possible that he was the only sucker stupid enough to buy it? Would it break as soon as he used it, was it cursed with some strange voodoo? The possibilities were endless. Of course, it could have easily been a normal axe. That was definitely plausible, probable even.

The distraction from his internal debate by Wolfgang was probably welcome. He didn't know him terribly well, although he seemed nice enough - when he wasn't blasting him with some evil shadows, of course. "I wouldn't say no to that, my buddy Calden just gave me a decent price on a new axe. This friend of yours, why wasn't she fighting with us? She's not maimed or anything, is she?"

The librarian nodded to acknowledge Celestia's request, then plucked another hardback from the pile, before handing it to Celestia. "'Guiding Light' is a somewhat popular read for aspiring light mages, although if you're looking for something more advanced, I can supply you with something else." Melanie's question came before he could wait for a response however, and seemed to take him by surprise. He opened his mouth and shut it again, as if unsure how to respond. "It is a disappointment, absent. I had expected this trinket to have powerful magical properties, but it appears that they are mostly absent." He shifted uncomfortably as he spoke, perhaps to implying that he hadn't been entirely truthful, but he didn't seem willing to say any more about it to Melanie.

Edited by SB.

Guiding light, hmm? Maybe that'd be something more Mel's speed; she'd have to give it a once over once she'd finished with this dark tome. But this librarian, it seemed like he was hiding something. Mel wasn't an expert on social relations; she was fairly awful at them, sometimes. But, that little shuffle about, even Mel could tell that something was bugging him with her pressing. So she pressed further! She set the book back onto the counter, leaned onto it, and picked up the medallion. "Donc, eef eet ees empty, zen, can I take eet? I do not sink zat an empty medallion will do you any good, non?"

When Melanie touched the object, she could easily tell that this was no ordinary trinket. She felt... wiser, and more capable as she held the emblem, assured that she could perform much almost any kind of spell with it in her possession - even kinds that she had never seen or heard of.

Of course, this feeling lasted for roughly three seconds before the stunned librarian got his act together and snatched the medallion back from her, hastily shoving it into his pocket fearing that she might try and take it back. "This is not mine to give away, child." he explained, trying to compose himself. "And even if it was, I would advise you to wait for permission first. Others may not respond so well to you taking their things." His eyes lingered on Melanie afterwards, unsure what to expect from her next.

The feeling took her by complete surprise, eyes widening and staring at the object, as she stood, still as a statue. What... What? That's all she could ask herself, as all the magic she'd cast in the past seemed to suddenly become to much easier for her mind to explain. She felt she could almost cast the spells with but a single page of the book; it was such a powerful feeling.

This feeling didn't last any longer, though, as the librarian wrenched the medallion from her hands, the feeling disappearing within a second. She shivered, and took a deep breath, eyes still wide as she focused on the counter. It took her some breaths before she could bring her eyes up to the librarian, blinking and staring blankly at him. "You... You are lying. Z-Zat ees not empty. What... What was zat?" No more composure for poor magical Mel.

"Melanie, are you okay?" Celestia asked, about to accept the offered book, before the exchange occurred with regards to the strange medallion. The poor girl looked practically broken, at this point, Celestia gently squeezing her shoulder and trying to catch her attention.

"What's wrong?"

"Quite peculiar, isn't it?" commented the librarian, still watching Melanie closely. "They say that everyone reacts differently to it, based on their own talents and desires." It wasn't much of an answer, but he still seemed to be choosing his words carefully. "She will be fine." he told Celestia. "I expect that she was just... surprised by what she felt."

"Overwhelmed, ees more like eet..." Melanie was still coming down from the shock, but her breathing had gone back to normal, and she wasn't as lucid as she had been, holding the thing. "Do not worry, Celestia... 'E ees right, I am fine." She offered the adept a small smile, before turning her gaze back towards the man. "You are still skirting ze item... Tell me more." There was a hint of desperation in her voice. She'd just tasted true power, and she'd be lying to herself if she didn't want more of it. "I know zat zere must be somesing else to do wis eet... 'Oo does eet belong to?" If she couldn't get answers out of him, maybe she could get who it belonged to, and talk to them about it. She pressed herself further onto the counter, staring him down.

Edited by Snake Mom

"So Calden is your buddy now, huh? Is butting heads a sign of friendship, then?" Wolfgang replied sarcastically, amused by Orpheus' behavior. Was he overly excited about getting this new axe from Calden?

"Orpheus, we're mercenaries! This friend of ours isn't a mercenary, she's actually part of the Irksan army! We know her through her girlfriend, who helped us out on one of our missions." he explained as the duo began their trip to Sierra's place.

"Somewhat familiar?" Magali eyed the exotic girl curiously, tilting her head at the inquiry. "Hmm? A fighter... yes, and no." Eyes shifting briefly, Magali curtsied and graced a more formal air to her movements and tone. "I am a performer first. I dance, I also sing, but for the time being I am part of a mercenary company. The same one as this young man, Declan." She motioned her arm Declan's way for a moment, "I do not fight... well, not usually. I can use light magic in combat when needed, but unlike the others I can also help with my dances."

"And yes, I suppose the city is far more empty than usual. Not the best time to sight-see, unfortunately." Magali offered a mellow smile and paused, feeling her turn to speak quite stretched.