SSB4's view of Chrom

Jedi

I'd say Isaac has a much better chance of being DLC than Chrom ever would have, regardless of his other roles.

Then again, it's entirely possible his franchise has just been cut from Smash completely, and if that turns out to be the case, that hopefulness from Isaac fans will turn into something much nastier.

With how lackluster Dark Dawn was I wouldn't at all be surprised if GS was completely removed.

Isaac was my most wanted newcomer, Shulk pretty much made up for that. You win some you lose some.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing is with Chrom coupled with Smash fans in general...

They're as salty as you can get over little things.

Anything Sakurai does to give fans a shoutout is met with "BOO, YOU FREAKING TROLL" treatment and spite.

Remember Takamaru?

Anything less than playable character, and people start crapping all over his nice gesture.

Then again, it's entirely possible his franchise has just been cut from Smash completely, and if that turns out to be the case, that hopefulness from Isaac fans will turn into something much nastier.

Smash is serious business.

If any character is DLC, I really wish somehow they get the Ice Climbers working.

Edited by shadowofchaos

To be honest, as a Chrom fan I would actually rather him not be in the game at all rather than the game constantly reminding me that he isn't playable. But that's just me.

Edited by Ownagepuffs

i didn't even know WHO takamaru was until smash.

so i thought people were being ironic about thier dislike that he was an assist

There were quite a few people hyping him up to be this games retro character. Mostly on smash boards, but yeah you aren't alone by any means in that, I hardly knew who he was before playing Samurai Warriors 3 (which he appears in as a cameo revamp of his original game in Warriors form) but that was just because I was a Warriors fan

I've heard good things about Dark Dawn...

It was decent. Hit and miss more like, I enjoyed how streamlined the combat was. Characterization of Isaac and Garet as well as the treatment of Felix wasn't to my liking.

There were many points of no return where you could miss Djinn, they were bizarrely frequent and some had no warning.

I just found it overall meh. Maybe I was just too hung up on nostalgia with the first two games when I played it

I want to say that removing representation of a series entirely simply because of a game's low sales doesn't seem like a thing Sakurai would do.

I will agree with this, but at the same time we barely got anything in Brawl anyways. :/

It was decent. Hit and miss more like, I enjoyed how streamlined the combat was. Characterization of Isaac and Garet as well as the treatment of Felix wasn't to my liking.

There were many points of no return where you could miss Djinn, they were bizarrely frequent and some had no warning.

I just found it overall meh. Maybe I was just too hung up on nostalgia with the first two games when I played it

I remember having some fun with Dark Dawn. But it's definitely the low point in the series, but hey what if they want to use Isaac as DLC to get some hype/advertisement for a series continuation? (Very wishful thinking, but why not be optimistic about it?)

Edited by Monado Boy

Yeah, Ike's games didn't sell well, but he's still around.

His awesomeness is just too overpowering to get rid of.

They were still quality games however. I'd consider fe9 to be one of the high points of FE.

Dark Dawn on the other hand in terms of GS. It was alright but not stunning

I remember having some fun with Dark Dawn. But it's definitely the low point in the series, but hey what if they want to use Isaac as DLC to get some hype/advertisement for a series continuation? (Very wishful thinking, but hey why not be optimistic about it?)

All da Isaac. I've been envisioning a move set since before even Brawl

We already know for sure that at least one Golden Sun song made it into the Wii U soundtrack, so it's not completely gone. Although a single song isn't much, I will admit.

This is true.

If I recall correctly, Isaac was an unlockable assist in Brawl, so I guess that could be the same here.

They were still quality games however. I'd consider fe9 to be one of the high points of FE.

The other part was both his games were released in the West and, while they weren't popular, there is definitely enough material for both audiences to recognize it. I also believe Ike is pretty popular in the east but I think he has a design that is more appealing towards the west.

Yeah, Ike's design is probably the reason Japan doesn't like him. He's not one of their precious girly-looking bishies. And the west likes manly buff guys, so Ike is right up their alley.

Believe it or not, now that DLC is confirmed, a lot of Isaac fans are happy that he was cut entirely, as he seems as one of the prime candidates for DLC.

I've been telling myself that the only reason they'd cut Isaac entirely (and then keep other considerably less known scrubs in) is if they were leaving the door open for DLC

dunno how much of that is bias on my part but eh

(although it's quite possible that even if it was them leaving that option open they'll decide against it - which as RFoF said would probably result in some Pretty Nasty backlash)

imo it was very good it just

a) didn't live up to all the hype

b) the difficulty left something to be desired and

c) was basically only half of a game - like if Golden Sun was released and then The Lost Age was never a thing

I feel like if it wasn't for its predecessors it would be looked on much more favorably

Yeah, Ike's design is probably the reason Japan doesn't like him. He's not one of their precious girly-looking bishies. And the west likes manly buff guys, so Ike is right up their alley.

It's true he's one of the lesser popular lords, but a lot of Japanese fans don't mind that he's in.

As much as I enjoyed proving people who wanted Chrom wrong, the insults just exceeded way beyond than I expected, and I start to feel like this is a bit too much. Heck, even the Palutena's Guidance of Robin just shoved way more salt into their wounds.

Before, people would rebut Robin's low chance with the fact that he's a player character who can be customized *cough* Villager *cough* Link *cough* Mii. In fact, the fact that a majority of people thought that Chrom would be playable irritated me to no end, and probably other people who don't like Chrom. It was all because of either a) Gematsu Leak or b) because he's the main lord.

As much as Sakurai made a wiser investment in Robin, Chrom could have had good potential as his own character, yet there was nothing too special about him. But, Nintendo is famous for making even crazy things work (Wii Fit Trainer, Miis, R.O.B being playable characters) which gave Chrom a chance.

I guess the amount of satire of Chrom's failure to enter makes up for the large amount of people who automatically assumed he would be playable.

Edited by カプリ

Since he's bulkier than Lucina, he could use medium-weight attacks, and he could have used some of his other class's weapons like a bow or a spear. Lucina herself could have been unique if Sakurai didn't consider her for a Marth Alt.

But yeah, I think Sakurai's plan with Fire Emblem Reps in SSB4 is to not make them all snoots with swords. Inb4 how about Lucina; She just got lucky. Inb4 Robin is technically a snoot since Robin is Validar's offspring. Robin is a Tactician and was never raised in a royal upbringing like Chrom and the other main lords did.

Edited by カプリ

I don't think the smash world would give them a lance or an axe because that isn't in line with the public perception. As for medium-weight attacks, there's only so many ways you can have someone swing a sword from a series like FE which doesn't give producers much to work with... but idk

For FE Reps, it's pretty simple

- Marth - marquee Lord

- Ike - most popular and common lord in the west

- Lucina - generated most of the mystery in FE13

- Robin - main character in FE13 with a lot of gimmick potential