Locations and landmarks and everything in between

Dragoncat

1: What's your favorite unique area in FE and why?

2: What kind of areas do you want to see more of?

3: Have you made up any of these for any world?

So yeah. There's forests, deserts, etc etc. I'd have to say Tellius' fire caves need more love. They have a special spot in my heart because before RD, I created a bunch of original locations. One of them was a lava cavern in Goldoa. Then RD came along and made my idea better! Entrances in Goldoa, Gallia, and Begnion! How awesome is that? I don't remember what the game calls it, so I just call it Ferno Cavern.

For what I want more of, it's ice areas. We've had chapters in the snow, but never a tundra or ice cave or snowy mountains. The snowy mountains would make an epic chapter. If there can be armies going into lava caves(RD) or around volcanoes(Awakening) and getting hit by lava rocks or the ground just sinks into the lava and anyone on it at the time gets scorched, there can be a battle on snow capped peaks where you have to watch out for avalanches.

Discuss.

Some named places other than caves or towns and such. Like a named store or place to eat. I do such in my fics because it's fun. ^^

And something funny happened with that. I created a Blue Flame Cafe, meant to be in homage to Ike and his monster appetite. When I went to my home town for Thanksgiving this week, we passed by a place called Blue Flame Restaurant. Just...wow. lol

I really like the maps in FE4, they are so big, varied and natural looking, it's like you are actually on a campaign across an entire nation and you can see it all. Some more particular ones, I like mountains, mountains are cool looking, whether it be snowy forts, rocky mountain passes, whatever. I personally want to see more giant wide open nation-sized battlefields and/or mountain battlegrounds.

I always picture the Fire Emblem games to look like these romantic medieval landscapes, not really much else to say.

1: What's your favorite unique area in FE and why?

2: What kind of areas do you want to see more of?

3: Have you made up any of these for any world?

1. Gotta say I really liked the battle on the back of Grima in Awakening. I mean come on you're fighting an evil army on a demon god dragon's back.

2. I'd like to see more temple like areas something akin to Wellspring of Truth

3. I'm not all that creative but whenever I see an old fortress my mind goes wild like oh how would this look in FE?

1. Gotta say I really liked the battle on the back of Grima in Awakening. I mean come on you're fighting an evil army on a demon god dragon's back.

I guess that having a creature so large that humans can walk on its back is pretty cool, but I'm always reminded that World of Warcraft did it earlier, with the Spine of Deathwing encounter.

But anyway... 1. I'd say that my favorite unique area would be Sacae from FE6 and 7; the grass is so green...

2. I'd like to see more naval battles. I liked Chapter 12 and 13 in FE9, for example.

3. I haven't made up any locations, no.

I'd like to see chapters with rainy and snowy conditions like in FE6 and 7, which affect your movement.

"Some men just want to watch the world burn." Edited by Knight

And something funny happened with that. I created a Blue Flame Cafe, meant to be in homage to Ike and his monster appetite. When I went to my home town for Thanksgiving this week, we passed by a place called Blue Flame Restaurant. Just...wow. lol

That is the most epic thing ever. Somebody should cosplay as Ike and go in there and order like 5 steaks or hamburgers. And post pictures all over the internet.

I agree that being on Grima's back is pretty dang badass, but...he doesn't exactly count imo. He's not a location, he's a character.

Edited by Dragoncat

That is the most epic thing ever. Somebody should cosplay as Ike and go in there and order like 5 steaks or hamburgers. And post pictures all over the internet.

Haha, that would be even MORE epic.

It snows in Ilia, but I don't think that affects your movement in FE6.

It also snows in a few chapters in PoR and the Ferox fort chapter in Awakening.

Ana: Ikr? Bonus points if they get the reference xD

Edited by Dragoncat

Hmmm well aside from Grima I guess I'd have to say my favorite location is that open field when you battle Walhart outside the castle. The music for one is epic on that level and its an open battlefield with a derelict building in the middle and calvary charging each other. I don't know just something of the atmospher of it.

Hmmm well aside from Grima I guess I'd have to say my favorite location is that open field when you battle Walhart outside the castle. The music for one is epic on that level and its an open battlefield with a derelict building in the middle and calvary charging each other. I don't know just something of the atmospher of it.

You also get that music when you face Gangrel. But that works.

You also get that music when you face Gangrel. But that works.

True but I found it way more fitting to Walhart. He looks like a demon lord on a horse who could kill entire armies on his own while Gangrel...well he's more of a sleazeball lol. I know he's a "mad king" and all but I found Ashnard to fit that kind of role better imo.

True but I found it way more fitting to Walhart. He looks like a demon lord on a horse who could kill entire armies on his own while Gangrel...well he's more of a sleazeball lol. I know he's a "mad king" and all but I found Ashnard to fit that kind of role better imo.

Gangrel reminded me a bit of Ashnard at first though. Until he started thinking he was funny. The fart joke was funny, don't get me wrong, but yeah I can see what you mean.

But the music still worked, it has that feel of, this evil guy has been breathing down your neck for awhile, now you finally get to show him who's boss, but be careful, it's not going to be easy. Gangrel taunted Chrom and was responsible for Emmeryn's death, even though he didn't personally kill her himself. Whereas Walhart was just mentioned as being this big bad SOB, but you don't meet him until you fight him. So...that music works for both imo.

For what I want more of, it's ice areas. We've had chapters in the snow, but never a tundra or ice cave or snowy mountains. The snowy mountains would make an epic chapter. If there can be armies going into lava caves(RD) or around volcanoes(Awakening) and getting hit by lava rocks or the ground just sinks into the lava and anyone on it at the time gets scorched, there can be a battle on snow capped peaks where you have to watch out for avalanches.

The Ilia chapters are primarily made up by Snowy Mountains from what I can recall. The end of Anri's Way in Mystery of The Emblem also takes place on some very high mountains. According to the text the characters have a hard time breathing. It even gives an approximate number that sets it in the range of the alps. Can't recall exactly how high it is from the top of my head though and I don't see the chapter intros in the script part of this site. Unfortunately though they don't really do much with it gameplay wise. Early days.

The Milia Tree in Awakening looked freaking beautiful even on my tiny 3DS screen. And it's where Tiki lives too so it gets extra favoritism points in my book. Pity you only spend one chapter there (actually climbing it would have been cool) and Tiki's importance in the plot was minimal.

Aside from snow and naval battles, I'd like to see a few more chapters taking place in big city. We've had a few here and there throughout the series but I don't think they've managed to capture the scale all that well yet. It'd be great to see a Holy War sized map that was nothing but an urban environment, with houses you can go into and back alleys you can escape out of, and multiple levels you can move through like being able to climb and move over rooftops or along the city walls while other characters make their way through on the ground.

Edited by Jotari

The Ilia chapters are primarily made up by Snowy Mountains from what I can recall. The end of Anri's Way in Mystery of The Emblem also takes place on some very high mountains. According to the text the characters have a hard time breathing. It even gives an approximate number that sets it in the range of the alps. Can't recall exactly how high it is from the top of my head though and I don't see the chapter intros in the script part of this site.

It's the intro to Chapter 13 (Frozen Land):

This truly is an unimaginably treacherous journey.

5000 metres…

No, higher than that.

Looking down, a sea of clouds can be seen.

They have reached the summit of the cold mountain peak.

Breathing is difficult…

Dizziness is felt…

Their vitality is fast approaching its limits.

That's more than three miles high!

Aside from snow and naval battles, I'd like to see a few more chapters taking place in big city. We've had a few here and there throughout the series but I don't think they've managed to capture the scale all that well yet. It'd be great to see a Holy War sized map that was nothing but an urban environment, with houses you can go into and back alleys you can escape out of, and multiple levels you can move through like being able to climb and move over rooftops or along the city walls while other characters make their way through on the ground.

This gives me an idea for house-crossing: on-foot units can enter doors on their turn and emerge on the other side at the start of the enemy phase. Heck, throw in a vertical movement cost for fliers crossing high buildings to weaken their movement advantage. This would go a long way in making urban maps a balance between indoor and outdoor combat.

This gives me an idea for house-crossing: on-foot units can enter doors on their turn and emerge on the other side at the start of the enemy phase. Heck, throw in a vertical movement cost for fliers crossing high buildings to weaken their movement advantage. This would go a long way in making urban maps a balance between indoor and outdoor combat.

Or the indoor sections are simply just a part of the map that mounted units can't cross and can only be examined if you have a character inside. I was just throwing ideas out there but I've never really considered 3D combat before. We have fliers sure and Radiant Dawn had different elevation but there was still only two directions of movement. It would be cool if you could have characters standing over each other on the map. Though a city or some kind of tree house forest are the only places you could easily get such an effect. Though another pure sky map like we saw in 2-P of Radiant Dawn would be cool to see again, regardless whether it brings anything new.

Edited by Jotari

Fighting on ships in FE9 was absolutly amazing. The 3D graphics made those levels look absolutly gorgeous. That way, those massive ships really looked like something.

The bridge level in the same game looked pretty awesome for similar reasons. Of course there is not much one can do with that setting, given that a bridge is just a straight line. I mean, they had to put holes into the map. Holes. ...into a bridge. They put goddamn holes into a bridge. It really shows how difficult it is to do something with that setting.

I'm also a sucker for the Daein towns at the beginning of Radiant Dawn. Again, it looked really awesome in 3D and I wish we could have spend more time in that setting.

And I can't forget about the sky battle in Radiant Dawn. Of course that setting can't be used often for obvisious reasons. Still, it reminds me of Advance Wars: Dual Strike. While that game may have sucked, I wonder if FE could take some inspiration from it and use multilayered battlefields.

Edited by BrightBow

I like Ancient Ruins, as long as they have some kind of plot purpose. There is something about the ruins of once great civilizations that just clicks in pseudo medieval settings, partly because of all the roman ruins that towered over real medieval settings. The dragon's gate in fe7 is a good example. My favorite ruins are the maderia catacombs in golden sun 2,because they feel like someplace people actualy lived (the inevitable puzzles feel like the kind of navigation challange that would legitimately arise in ruins like this, as opposed to the inexplicably functioning ancient devices that seem more common), and the designers got a creepy vibe down perfectly.