There needs to be more save slots

Sentacotus

So when I was thinking about the different difficulty levels/modes for this game it got me thinking that there's got to be more save slots. There's 4 difficulties each playable under 2 modes so that's potentially 8 different files at minimum if you were to play the game under each setting once. Even if you didn't do that and you like one setting better than the other there's the fact that choosing a MaMU vs FeMU and the supports are all different. So that's 8 different files multiplied by 2 for both genders that's 16 potential different playthroughs. Now I know this is a bit excessive and most of us will find one mode we like (myself included) and play it to death and there is nothing wrong with that. However, the real kicker I get is that there is only 3 save slots when we have SD/SDHC cards ranging from 4-32GB. I don't know a whole lot about programming and reading and writing how a game does saves but it seems like a bit of a waste to have space that is unused or at least not having an option for it. For all I know this is alot easier said then done and I could see where having save files on an SD card might create problems but I think it would be a good idea for IS to consider the possibility of doing this. Hell even Radiant Dawn had like 5-6 save slots (I know that is a disc as opposed to a cartridge medium so that probably has something to do with it).

Thoughts?

Someone with more knowledge please correct me if I'm wrong as I'm not familiar with 3DS hardware or with how fire emblem saves data, but it doesn't seem that this game's save file size should be excessively large. Skyrim's save files for example, can be something like 15Mb+ and higher with mods which is understandable considering how many unique variables there are (and being a poorly optimized game in general). Fire emblem needs to record things like supports, stats, game progress, inventory with weapon uses, ect. It doesn't seem to me that fire emblem requires large amounts of data for each save file. The 3DS cartridges can potentially store 8Gb at best and the vanilla game size is 1.3Gb so even if we aren't in a perfect world and have 8Gb available it doesn't seem impractical to have more than 3 save files. Again, if someone more informed than me can tell me otherwise, please do as this really bothers me.

Something I do for extra save slots is I have 3 regular files and 2 "casual mode" files if I want 5 save files for instance. I just gotta remember to constantly battle save the casual runs.

You can... get a save dongle, or if it's the digital copy, back up your saves via the system options menu?

And as for people curious about how big the save files are...

They're 512kb. Compared to Animal Crossing: New Leaf's 10 MB (20x larger)

You can... get a save dongle, or if it's the digital copy, back up your saves via the system options menu?

And as for people curious about how big the save files are...

They're 512kb. Compared to Animal Crossing: New Leaf's 10 MB (20x larger)

I figured they wouldn't be that big but wow they're tiny. I have a physical copy, What is a save dongle and where can I get one if you don't mind me asking?

You could also get PowerSaves which has a Save Backup function. Not sure if it exists for FEA but it should AFAICT

Yes, the 3DS Action Replay Powersaves device can create Save Backups if you have the physical copy of the game (it also has the option to automatically create a save backup every time you apply cheat code(s)) though the backups are stored in a cloud, not in your computer hard drive.

I figured they wouldn't be that big but wow they're tiny.

There's not much in Awakening that isn't either integers or boolean in terms of save data (with the exception of Avatar's name and forge names, but those are very short), so it takes up very little space.

The Avatar Logbook is probably the biggest single thing that requires saving in Awakening, but it's not even per-file so it doesn't count here.

though the backups are stored in a cloud, not in your computer hard drive.

That is actually not true.

It's stored in your User Folder --> 3DS Powersaves like the user above shows.

One of your red slash marks on your windows user name looks like two red silhouettes frickle frackling.

That is actually not true.

It's stored in your User Folder --> 3DS Powersaves like the user above shows.

One of your red slash marks on your windows user name looks like two red silhouettes frickle frackling.

My mistake. Was thinking that the saves are loaded into the cloud similarly to Powersaves and codes.

Edited by Roflolxp54

...You don't need a micro SD card with it.

You seriously don't need it.

Yeah I'm probably just gonna get the cheapest option sides I've got like 10 SD cards lying around.

Edit: Found a better place with an option to get it without the SD card about $10 cheaper.

http://www.yeahgeek.com/save-dongle-r4i-sdhc-for-3ds-dsi-ds-game-saving-and-sharing-p-806.html

Edited by TacoMan42