If you could change one thing...

Sentacotus

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep that

GK and Wyvern Lord are my favorite classes gameplaywise and WL isn't any better in the ass department either orz

It's just their way of saying that you're already on a dragon and Wyvern Lords can ASS-cend even higher into the skies.

Saying the entire story wouldn't really work since there's more than one thing that needs to be changes (please do something Tiki)

so instead of trying to change a lost cause I'd try and add in multiplayer. A lot of Awakening's fun comes from trying to minmax the ultimate team so why can't I fight people with it! Sure I can fight enemy AIs of people's teams but it's just not the same as fighting another human.

so instead of trying to change a lost cause I'd try and add in multiplayer. A lot of Awakening's fun comes from trying to minmax the ultimate team so why can't I fight people with it! Sure I can fight enemy AIs of people's teams but it's just not the same as fighting another human.

I am actually against that.

Multiplayer in FE really isn't something. FE isn't pokemon.

And if you're going to balance it for multiplayer, it involves balancing the Dual System.

Which the game has spent its entirety conditioning you to use it and take advantage of it.

A mediocre multiplayer isn't a reason to take away from the experience of singleplayer.

Extra Credits expresses this nicely (even though it's on a shooter game)

At 3:00.

Just seriously, Fire Emblem is focused on Single Player.

OF COURSE we want FE to be playable with other people. I feel you there.

But it will take away from the experience you already have on Single Player.

I think everyone would agree with me on this,that in radiant dawn they could of made micaiahs team not suck in part 1 especially when playing on hard mode ;)

Though it's been said before, I'd like to see children characters like Lucina and Morgan (F), where the father needs an S-rank support. I like ironic characters like Inigo and Nah where their personality contradicts those of their parents. Some ideas for this would be

-Lon'qu's extremely girly daughter

-Vaike's weakling son (a mage, possibly?)

Stahl's unique child

Granted, this may seem better on paper, but if the execution is good, I would have loved to see things like that.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by MrSaturn64

And if you're going to balance it for multiplayer, it involves balancing the Dual System.

Which the game has spent its entirety conditioning you to use it and take advantage of it.

A mediocre multiplayer isn't a reason to take away from the experience of singleplayer.

Extra Credits expresses this nicely (even though it's on a shooter game)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjaBsuXWJJ8

At 3:00.

Just seriously, Fire Emblem is focused on Single Player.

OF COURSE we want FE to be playable with other people. I feel you there.

Well this is a what if thread. I think it's safe to say Awakening maximum effort was put into making Awakening so logically pretty much anything suggested here would have taken away from something else (cause you know, it takes time to model pants). A someone who has studied computer games development I can safely say the networking would be the thing that would take up the most time for implementing multiplayer and that's something they already have with the coop mode (albeit not online which would probably be expected from them). Lag between strategy games is also one of the areas where it is most forgiving in games, double so for turn based ones. Unlike a shooter there's not really that much you need to think of in regards to balance. Just stick the characters on the map like in spot pass and there you go. We've seen it already work in Shadow Dragon which I had unfortunately little experience with online but what little I did play I enjoyed. There's only so much time to go into a game so one feature will override another but personally I would have like to see multiplayer over the likes of Paralogue 3 or the spot pass characters.

I agree those would be problems, but I have a cousin who also loves FE, and on streetpass, we can absolutely decimate each other because of that. It would be good if we could actually face off against each other, but not at the expense of a good single player mode.

(cause you know, it takes time to model pants)

It doesn't actually, at least not more than the bs panties

Sully's model has pants as a GK (the only female GK that does), and it's fairly tight pants that literally changing the skintone texture from peach to black would've sufficed and it would've ben the same exact amount or work if not less (because as a professional artist I can tell you that drawing an extra panty instead of just coloring the whole thing black takes more effort)

Going from a skirt model to pants would take more effort because that requires an actual change in the mesh (nevermind that pants would be easier to model at the 3ds level of detail unless you're going for particularly loose or baggy pants), Going from the battlepanties to pants is a simple texture swap and pants would've been an easier texture to do to begin with

Multiplayer also wouldn't work well in FE unless there's a gameplay overhaul because as is, whoever reaches the opposing team first wins.

Rey when are the character model textures getting extracted I'd like to mod them

Edited by Thor Odinson

It doesn't actually, at least not more than the bs panties

Sully's model has pants as a GK (the only female GK that does), and it's fairly tight pants that literally changing the skintone texture from peach to black would've sufficed and it would've ben the same exact amount or work if not less (because as a professional artist I can tell you that drawing an extra panty instead of just coloring the whole thing black takes more effort)

Going from a skirt model to pants would take more effort because that requires an actual change in the mesh (nevermind that pants would be easier to model at the 3ds level of detail unless you're going for particularly loose or baggy pants), Going from the battlepanties to pants is a simple texture swap and pants would've been an easier texture to do to begin with

Multiplayer also wouldn't work well in FE unless there's a gameplay overhaul because as is, whoever reaches the opposing team first wins.

I was trying to make a hamfisted joke about how ludicrous the panties are. Guess I failed on that front.

I was trying to make a hamfisted joke about how ludicrous the panties are. Guess I failed on that front.

I had a hunch that it may have been one but tone gets across poorly over the internet and professionalism on my end kicked in anyway :B

Rey when are the character model textures getting extracted I'd like to mod them

Several weeks ago. Their naming system is pretty messy so you'll have to do a lot of digging to find the ones you want, but they are there.

Edit: Here you are!

Knock yourself out (~70 MB)

I may have missed a few files (I already noticed one or two files that aren't there, but should be there. No idea why they aren't...).

Just stick the characters on the map like in spot pass and there you go.

*It's Player 1's turn!*

*Player 1 used Pair Up!*

*Player 1 used Rally!*

*Player 1 used Rescue!*

*Player 1 used Celica's Gale!*

*Player 1 used Dual Strike!*

*Player 1 used Galeforce!*

*Player 2 was defeated!*

There you go, indeed. Where's the fun in a mode where player 2 never gets a turn?

Edited by Czar_Yoshi

Several weeks ago. Their naming system is pretty messy so you'll have to do a lot of digging to find the ones you want, but they are there.

Oooh, Awesome, Thanks!

I know what Im going to do after finals :D

Wow alot of people have brought up some good points. I for one think one way to affect the story is make the avatar choices actually matter maybe even have bad endings if certain conditions are met. Unique father son conversations could also add alot depending on their personalities and quirks I feel like that was a particulary missed opportunity but I suppose if you did that then some people would get their panties in a bunch about OTPs and such and then you have thermonuclear waifu war.

Given how the character development works in the supports we do have, I'm not sure they'd make much of a difference. Every support in the game features the exact same traits the characters display in all their other convos, so if there were unique father supports they wouldn't tell us anything we don't already know.

They'd be nice, but they wouldn't do anything to enhance the characters.

Edited by Czar_Yoshi

One thing wouldn't be enough, everything should be changed.

But if I had to chose, I think I'd go for the chara-design. Having characters that look like they come from a fire emblem (I'd go with FE3/4/5's tcg style) wouldn't be a bad thing. No more toilet bowl as armor or Maribelle's haircut or female dark mage in only fullbody tights

Edited by Sartek

One thing wouldn't be enough, everything should be changed.

But if I had to chose, I think I'd go for the chara-design. Having characters that look like they come from a fire emblem (I'd go with FE3/4/5's tcg style) wouldn't be a bad thing. No more toilet bowl as armor or Maribelle's haircut

I thought most of the character designs were fine but if anything needs to change add some feet lol. Also I prefere the knight and general classes from past FE games and I feel like the hero class looked fine with just the regular sword and shield in FE7. But hey the tactician and grandmaster classes look awesome some of my favorites in the series as far as appearance goes.

Given how the character development works in the supports we do have, I'm not sure they'd make much of a difference. Every support in the game features the exact same traits the characters display in all their other convos, so if there were unique father supports they wouldn't tell us anything we don't already know.

They'd be nice, but they wouldn't do anything to enhance the characters.

Maybe not but anything that makes me want to replay the game again is good in my book.

Oh yeah, Knights. I'm changing my vote to restoring Generals' chains. Those were just too cool to cut.

Don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure there was some Smash-related interview where the Awakening devs confirmed that no feet was done to increase framerates and give them more room for attack effects because feet have a lot of polys and are hard to render.

I have heard that too due to the limitations of the 3DS I'm guessing the pair up (more units on screen) probably also had something to do with it. My complaint about the feet was more of a nitpicking thing I still think graphically the game looks great overall.

Ditch the anime-esque art style, in favour of the more realistic style seen in Radiant Dawn.

I hate avatars in FE. It. Doesn't. Work. Get. That. Through. Your. Thick. Skulls. IS.

If avatars in FE don't work, then why is Awakening the best selling game in the series? In fact, I'm sure the Avatar is one of the reasons why Awakening sold well in the first place.

*It's Player 1's turn!*

*Player 1 used Pair Up!*

*Player 1 used Rally!*

*Player 1 used Rescue!*

*Player 1 used Celica's Gale!*

*Player 1 used Dual Strike!*

*Player 1 used Galeforce!*

*Player 2 was defeated!*

There you go, indeed. Where's the fun in a mode where player 2 never gets a turn?

That's assuming player 1 can reach player 2 on the first turn. If they can't then player 2 has the opportunity to pair up and have enough stats to take some solid hits and dual guard thrown in for good measure. Baiting the opposite player as you would the AI would also be in effect,

Although BookofHolsety's is a very close second, I'd give the story a shred of self-awareness. All it would take is one little scene- nay, even a single line could do it if placed well- acknowledging that Chrom and Avatar aren't righteous in everything including their abandonment of conquered Plegia and Valm and Cht.14 to completely change the context of the story, making it read less like a bad fanfiction.

Oh, and if I got to pick a third, I'd ask for better names for the locations. So far, Ylisse is the only country that has even one named city, and the two that it does have are completely uninspired. I want my Lefcandith and Araphen back, please.

I think this is worth doing too and something I want in future FEs. Part of the reason I like Thracia's and Tactics Ogre's stories is that a) the heroes are flawed and make questionable decisions (that are treated as such in the game) and b)even the generic bosses/enemies are sympathetic and human. They might support the bad guys but those games remember that they're not necessarily bad people and have families, hopes, dreams, etc. I mean I know the Henry/Ricken support tries to do it but its so half-assed.

There's a lot I'd change about the game, but if I had to pick one that's been unique from the others so far, I'd make the avatar into a silent protagonist and make his choices (which you'd consequently get a shitload more of) matter a lot more. Supports could also differ based on your responses; if you're enough of a prick, it might lock you off from an S support or give other consequences.

if you're enough of a prick, it might lock you off from an S support or give other consequences.

Ooh I like that idea. Like if you take a more supportive role in the support then the avatar would boost their ally's speed but if you say you want to protect them then the support would boost the Avatar's defense.