Will there be avatars and waifus in this game? Avatar and waifu discussion. Waifus, the second coming.

Misses Elise-chan!

Waifus  

251 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see the return of waifus in this game?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. What about another self insert avatar?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was gonna vote no and no, but actually I don't mind either way. I wouldn't particularly like to see children again; I'd rather there were more unique characters in the same generation.

The biggest thing for me is whether it's a 'world map' game again. I was happy that Awakening followed the lead of Gaiden and SS, but now I feel ready for a linear game again.

The marriage thing made sense in Awakening because of the children.

If there's no children in FE14 then no, I'd rather not have marriage included just for the sake of it.

I'd rather see the support systems from pre-Awakening games make a return, and I really wish that the whole Avatar thing would stay in Awakening. It wasn't too bad in FE12, and it was unobtrusive - if a bit awkward in how unnecessary Mark was - in FE7, but Awakening went too far. I like having a legitimate main character/protag who isn't of my own creation, one who can have a more developed personality without having to be semi-generic so as to be suited for self-insert.

An avatar as a side character of little story importance? Ehhhh, yeah, that's all right. But I'd really rather see a return to the days of no avatars or MUs.

The marriage system though... it's something I'd like to enjoy more, but certain places made me turn against it and I just want normal supports back rather than slog through the mess it creates on places like tumblr.

I voted no on both, though I don't care all that much about the Avatar. It doesn't make a difference to me if it's a badly written character that I can customise or one that I can't. If they're implemented well, fine.

Definitely no to FE13-style waifus. I don't think there's any new, innovative, good way to incorporate a second gen.

No, and neutral-geared-towards-yes. Like others have said, the prospect of a marriage is fine and all, but it should not be implemented the way FE13 did. I do appreciate the avatar thing in FE13, because I think the default white-haired one looks bland. (I do keep my FE12 avatar unchanged, though.)

It appears it's very likely that Avatar will be the main character of the game and him/her alone, hence the comment about importance of decisions, as you'd be making them, and since you're Avatar.

This is only assuming the Kamui character is Avatar with customizations.

Oh how I wished the blue haired dancer was the lord since she showed up a lot in the trailer.

I want neither, but expect both.

The way Awakening handled avatars really left a bad impression on me. I hope that if they return in this game they are less involved with the story, like Mark. Hopefully a bit less broken than Robin too. I can put up with it as long as the story doesn't suffer.

Marriage... Well, it is one of the most popular features from the game that saved the franchise, so I doubt they want to alienate all the new fans who are expecting it to return. I'm indifferent since it really is just an extra support conversation. I don't know if children will return, but if they do hopefully it isn't via time travel.

People find ways to turn FE characters into waifus anyway, Awakening was just the first to let you do it in gameplay. Let's be honest here.

No, it was just the first to let you do it with any of the girls with pretty much any of the characters, including your own personal insert. The support system had been pairing characters up and marrying them off since AT LEAST Fire Emblem 4.

I'm totally for being able to pair anyone with anyone. Let's you feel like the characters are more real. And if there's no kids, at least you don't have to necessarily min/max.

For the Avatar, I agree with others. I don't want him to be a huge centerpiece of the game. He can have his unique class of Tactician and can advise the Lord, but beyond that just make him any other unit.

Actually it’s really amusing that sites like gfaqs were arguably the worst about waifus (in terms of drama, obsession, etc) back when FE7 first came to the west. But I suppose that was before tumblr exploded in popularity and such?

Tumblr wasn't a thing until 2007, so GameFAQs was pretty much the only place people could go to talk about things like that.

I voted double no, but honestly I could pass for an Avatar, as I am a SUCKER for customization.

the romantic factor of FE is something I definitely want to remain, but not in the way that Awakening implemented it...... basically no waifus & no children unless it actually doesn't involve time travel? because marriage & the romance isn't the point of FE games & it kinda sucked seeing so many people getting into the game for that sole reason. (& yeah yeah Awakening saved the franchise but people were playing the game for the wrong reason, which felt almost as bad as the series being an inch away from ending.)

Well it seems to me that everyone wants their own character that takes place in the game but not an avatar that functions like in awakening, so the best solution might be to have someone like Mark from 7 but WAY more customizable that actually makes major decisions that affect gameplay but isn't an actual unit. Oh and i say yes to waifus but no to kids. I don't know how they could incorporate that into another game

Although I wouldn't expect children to show up two games in a row, if they did they could always do it in a more straightforward manner via the Genealogy of the Holy War approach rather than by time travel.

Although perhaps they could implement it this time without the big twist at the end of Gen. 1 of Genealogy of the Holy War.

But even such ideas aren't likely to happen in the fist place.

Although I wouldn't expect children to show up two games in a row, if they did they could always do it in a more straightforward manner via the Genealogy of the Holy War approach rather than by time travel.

I like children because of the customization element to it, I just hope they don't BS the story to add kids, yeah.

I want to see waifus back mostly because it would make so many people mad.

But really I expect both of them to be back just because FE13 was so successful. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

yeah yeah Awakening saved the franchise but people were playing the game for the wrong reason.)

There is no specific way for someome to play a game, each person plays for different reasons. It's not by rejecting different ideas, but by accepting different ideas that the world creates a chemical reaction. This is truly the formula for changing the world.

There should be an option for "don't care." :P

Because while I liked the Avatar and marriage system, I wouldn't be upset if they weren't in a new FE. I've loved FE with or without them.

Edited by Anacybele

But really I expect both of them to be back just because FE13 was so successful. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Or "if it gives you money let it be", there is a lot of things that awakening could improve upon, and while I think they'll make a return, I can at least hope they wouldn't, or at least be greatly improved upon from awakening... I apparently have to put a lot of faith in this writer... I really hope this wont disappoint me like awakening did.

Given the track record for avatar-esque characters the past two games, IS has clearly proven they can't handle a coherent story and a self-insert at the same time. Kill it with fire

This is my biggest reason for not wanting an avatar character. I'm hoping this new game will have a more serious story/atmosphere, similar to Sacred Stones.

Basically yeah. I like the Avatar idea, but I can take or leave the waifu/marriage stuff, which I just find funny more than anything else.
Edited by Radiant head