So, the new "Decisions" a player has to make...

Marston

During the presentation it was said, that the players always had to do certaind decisions in the games. Which units to use, which strategy, who to support etc. However they want to improve upon this, so, what could they mean by that?

Or, what do you hope they mean?

I actually am not sure what this could be. Several routes like Eirika/Ephraim in FE 8? Only being able to recruit 1 out of several characters? Maybe more gaiden chapters that actually change the later maps/story (weakening an enemy stronghold so in a later mission not that much enemies appear for example)?

I think the choices involved are more about the world and the times (macroscopic level) as opposed to the characters or classes (microscopic levels)

that's just the vibe I got: I see something like deciding who to side with and where to take your army and in doing so, deciding what kind of world comes to be

maybe they're taking a book out of Shin Megami Tensei now that they've been working with Atlus for a while

think about it: SMT IV had a distinction between a samurai world and a more modern world, and the choices you make affect the routes/endings in that game.

likewise, this FE game seems to have a distinction between like a region with Japanese influences vs. western ones, so maybe there's some kind of conflict between "west and east" and you're forced to choose how the story regarding them unfolds (will one dominate, will both survive, or both become history?)

just a thought, don't have any proof of it, just what I think based on observations

I'd love time constricted or specific requirement of previous events decisions too like Record of the Agarest War where you have to finish something before a certain turn or choose how someone dies to obtain that event.

Could offer more story viewing, character development with this where if you want to have a character turns out nice or bad, whatever direction you'd have to not be brain dead head-on charging into things to win game.

In Awakening they had a lot of chapter maps(27 from Prologue to the final) and the optional 23 paralogues. Maybe in this game they won't have paralogues/gaidens they'll instead have ~50 maps pooled together in which the player plays ~25 per playthrough to form the main story which allows for a lot of alternate routes and multiple endings.

oh yeah to add to my theory about them learning from working with Atlus and such, I'd like to point out that Fire Emblem if is named similarly to Shin Megami Tensei if..., a game by Atlus

see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shin_Megami_Tensei_if...

just adds to my whole "they're taking some pages out of the Atlus book" theory, it's just a bunch of coincidences so far (similar plot themes, similar names, they're known to have at least communicated with each other thanks to SMTxFE, the progress/development of which we have almost no idea about, etc.) but it's at least possible

Whatever it is I just hope its better than Shadow Dragons gaiden chapter requirments.

I wouldn't mind seeing another route split like in Sealed Sword and Sacred Stones. Flesh out the world a bit y'know.

I see something like deciding who to side with and where to take your army and in doing so, deciding what kind of world comes to be

maybe they're taking a book out of Shin Megami Tensei now that they've been working with Atlus for a while

think about it: SMT IV had a distinction between a samurai world and a more modern world, and the choices you make affect the routes/endings in that game.

likewise, this FE game seems to have a distinction between like a region with Japanese influences vs. western ones, so maybe there's some kind of conflict between "west and east" and you're forced to choose how the story regarding them unfolds (will one dominate, will both survive, or both become history?)

just a thought, don't have any proof of it, just what I think based on observations

That's a good theroy. I wouldn't be surprised. IS and Atlus are buddy buddy now. Reminds me of Insomniac and Naughty Dog.

SPLIT ROOTS! SPLIT ROOTS!

They make shampoo for that, I hear.

Anyway, differing routes would be an awesome addition to a Fire Emblem game. And if the marriage system stays, then we can go full Dating Sim on this biatch.

I am pretty sure this will mean choices during conversations as well. The feature has grown more and more popular in the west and in the east so they aren't blind. I just hope it's more then just "This guys a dick you agree" then I get to go to one side or the other depending on my feelings of how much of a dick a guy is.

I just hope when they talk choices that impact the game, they mean it for real, not just a few small changes in dialogue. It can be a lot to ask for, but some real dynamic story changes based on player choice would be pretty amazing.

Tactics Ogre could be something to look toward for an medieval fantasy srpg example. Political drama, morality in war, etc.

This would be amazing. It'd be really, really cool if who you recruit and have to fight depending on choices. Different endings would be amazing as well.

Tactics Ogre could be something to look toward for an medieval fantasy srpg example. Political drama, morality in war, etc.

YES! That game was amazing because of that! The Law, Neutral and Chaos routes added to the unique narrative! I loved how Law was the seemingly "bad" route to take as well.

What would also be cool is a post game feature, like FE8's. I was a little disappointed with FE13's, since it just placed you back on the map, right before the final battle.

But maybe that would conflict with the multiple endings...?

Edited by ???

I hope the multiple endings aren't determined right before final...

Now that I think about it, what I asked before was pretty dumb haha. Sorry, I guess I got a little mixed up.

FE13 technically did have multiple endings... and by multiple, I mean two. They weren't really different from each other to be honest. Something SMT-like would be pretty cool though, if this game did have multiple endings.

Now that I think about it, what I asked before was pretty dumb haha. Sorry, I guess I got a little mixed up.

FE13 technically did have multiple endings... and by multiple, I mean two. They weren't really different from each other to be honest. Something SMT-like would be pretty cool though, if this game did have multiple endings.

Well, there are two quite distinct looking factions in the trailer, so what if you got to choose which one you join? Aside from a generic boss, none of the characters look too much like a typical FE antagonist. (Design wise)