Back to the Roots

quasimopho13

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The poor game mechanics killed FE13 for me.

AGREE AGREE AGREE AGREE AGREE!!! It was the worst thing in FE13. Especially defend missions have to return.

Lots of things have to return:

• staves like sleep, silence and berserk and maybe some new staves

Man, I hated bersek stages so much, yet didn't notice Awakening got rid of them until replaying FE7.

I am looking forward to the choices affecting crap though, if done like FE5-8, not like Awakening's change 2-3 lines of dialogue

Yeah, I want RD's unique objectives to come back. We had rout enemy, seize, defend, survive, set all the supplies on fire, and more!

Awakening by contrast had 'burn 100,000 meb alive in their ships with no remorse'.

Personally.... I want:

~LIGHT MAGIC. God, I miss this. Especially because of FE13 Micaiah....

~No world map. I liked it in FE8... but then FE13 made it profitable endlessly on Normal, which honestly has to go or make all difficulties like Hard. It's stupid, the reason it's okay in FE8 is that profit is minimal without glitching for infinite use weaponry.... Besides that, I feel like the feature is a once in a while thing at best

~Status conditions have to return. Sleep, poison, silence, etc, those were great things about the GBA games and Tellius.

~Add back the Trinity of Magic and separate magic ranks. Helped vary magic overall. On top of that, have more variety in magical units stats. IE, Mages are quick but squishy, Monks are more magically tanky but weaker, Shamans are physically tanky and decently strong but very slow and less move, like a sort of magical armorknight. Like GBA

~NO MORE SECOND SEAL INFINITE LEVEL ROFLSTOMPS. Seriously... I think this was my least favorite thing about FE13 World Map vs FE8.

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY...

~NO MORE AVATAR

YOU CAN'T DO IT WELL IS, GIVE IT UP ALREADY

Oh yeah, and a couple chapters in part 3, there were even new spins put on the arrive objective. One chapter required you to let NPC Skrimir arrive on a certain square. Another called for Ike AND Ranulf to arrive on certain squares.

Some chapters also gave you multiple options for objectives. Part 2 Endgame could be won by either defeating Ludveck or defending for a certain number of turns.

I want to see stuff like this again! :P

Edited by Anacybele

Yes FE now goes back to its roots! Now is FE6 with FE13 graphix!!!! Everyone is happy!!!.

Jokes aside. Int sys should know how to make these games work. opefully they are not to scared of the idea to live up to awakening success that forget the essence of FE (you know that shit they always mention on their damn interviews)

A more varied mission design beside "Rout all enemies/kill the boss" would be nice. Seize, Survive or even reach tile X would be a welcome change.

And yeah, playing awakening without pair up is pretty much suicide. I fear enemies will be around that difficulty again. :/

Yes! Some ridiculous escape/survive missions could make pair up less broken.

Plus, protect mssions, since Battle Before Dawn was probably the most frantic moment in FE7, and all the protect missions I remember were pretty tense and thematic.

That reminds me.

I hope thieves can steal again.

Oh yes, this, I also hope we get rogues instead of staff-wielding tricksters (damn that your units didn't get the awesome hat), and reintroduce lockpicks for thieves and assassins, and the skill "pick" (or locktouch) for rogues, and makes that you get exp. from opening and stealing.

And have more utility units over staff-wielders and thieves.

Edited by that one person

Also, grinding hasn't worked out very well in the series so far. It should at least be limited somehow. Challenge is the foundation of Fire Emblem. Everything which may completely undermine it (like overpowered characters due to grinding) should not be there.

That's not really true, though. There is simply no Fire Emblem that isn't getting easier on the end, by way of powerful units and other shenanigans. Okay, maybe the games with the hardest settings can still be a little rough, but overall, endgames in Fire Emblem are not that hard. And I really don't get the complaining about how grinding "ruins the game". You don't want to grind, then don't? No one is forcing you to.

Edited by Iceclaw

Oh yes, this, I also hope we get rogues instead of staff-wielding tricksters (damn that your units didn't get the awesome hat), and reintroduce lockpicks for thieves and assassins, and the skill "pick" (or locktouch) for rogues, and makes that you get exp. from opening and stealing.

And have more utility units over staff-wielders and thieves.

I like tricksters, but no status staves to go with their theme makes them pretty boring.

I like tricksters, but no status staves to go with their theme makes them pretty boring.

Yeah, my main point is, if class trees return, there should be a combat based unit, assassin, and utility, they could keep the tricksters and their awesome hats, but add the things I said:

reintroduce lockpicks for thieves and assassins, and the skill "pick" (or locktouch) for rogues, and makes that you get exp. from opening and stealing.

That's not really true, though. There is simply no Fire Emblem that isn't getting easier on the end, by way of powerful units and other shenanigans. Okay, maybe the games with the hardest settings can still be a little rough, but overall, endgames in Fire Emblem are not that hard. And I really don't get the complaining about how grinding "ruins the game". You don't want to grind, then don't? No one is forcing you to.

This kind of argument isn't very good. Just to illustrate, they could as well add an unbreakable 100% hit 1-hit-KO weapon. And then simply let the player choose whether to use it or not. The game designers should make the game balanced, not the player. First off, the player is likely to take advantage of things when they can. I prefer permadeath for the challenge, so I pick classic mode. After a playthrough I'm happy that I did. But if a characters dies in game and I was suddenly given the option to have it undone, I would likely not have the self-dicipline to say no!

Grinding is similar. I'm likely to take the opportunity if it's there. And in Awakening you can easily go too far and it's actually not easy to realize until you decide to pursue the main storyline again. Especially if you buy DLC. Lastly, saying that endgame is going to be easy anyway is no reason to make it even worse. On the contrary, it's a reason to fix it by making endgame harder.

Edited by Siskan

This kind of argument isn't very good. Just to illustrate, they could as well add an unbreakable 100% hit 1-hit-KO weapon. And then simply let the player choose whether to use it or not. The game designers should make the game balanced, not the player. First off, the player is likely to take advantage of things when they can. I prefer permadeath for the challenge, so I pick classic mode. After a playthrough I'm happy that I did. But if a characters dies in game and I was suddenly given the option to have it undone, I would likely not have the self-dicipline to say no!

Grinding is similar. I'm likely to take the opportunity if it's there. And in Awakening you can easily go too far and it's actually not easy to realize until you decide to pursue the main storyline again. Especially if you buy DLC. Lastly, saying that endgame is going to be easy anyway is no reason to make it even worse. On the contrary, it's a reason to fix it by making endgame harder.

That argument is even worse, because it means any game where you can grind is "too easy". And sorry, but claiming it's a flaw in the game's design that you by your own words do "not have the self discipline to say no!" is not very honest. You are to "blame" here if there was anything to blame regarding how you play a solo vidyagamz. :)

Edited by Iceclaw

I just realized I misread, you meant the lockpick items when it comes to thieves and assassins

Yes, and the skill to open locks without picks to tricksters or rogues or whatever they'll be, to make them more attractive as utility units.

I always liked weapon weight for some reason, that's just my controversial opinion.

I really like weapon weight as well.I never realized they got rid of it in FE13 until I finally decided to check the weapon level for Falchion.

That reminds me.

I hope thieves can steal again.

To me,thieves aren't thieves unless they can get me a free Elixir or another lockpick.

~LIGHT MAGIC. God, I miss this. Especially because of FE13 Micaiah....

I also want to bring back Monk and Bishop as well.If they do that,they should separate the rank for Dark,Light and Anima tomes.I hated how they put Dark and Anima together in FE13.

Edited by ShadowShine

Light Magic isn't even that good. It's basically anima magic with less Mt and more Hit. If it had effective damage to this game's monsters that'd be cool. Otherwise... eh.

I'd like for Dark Magic to not hold a monopoly on siege tomes kthx.

Honestly I don't believe that IS will reintroduce weight, they have realized that it's trash anyways and I love the fact that my 30 AS horsemen and SMs can freely have 30 AS on New Mystery. How is realism in exchange for balance desirable on a game that has magic and where a silver axe hit can be healed with a plain magic staff? A game where killing the boss on Awakening C21 but not his 40 soldiers and 16 reinforcements makes you win the battle? Only the galeforce unit is near the exit of the castle, and the whole army is supposed to escape. Killing this one Berserker is an autowin. seriously, realism on FE is the reason to keep weight? I don't think we can convince each other in that way though.

@Siskan disagreeing on that. No-grind is a very popular restriction on Fire Emblem 13 runs because grinding can easily trivialize Lunatic. Warpless is a pretty common rule too, look at the drafts section for an example. banning some things in favor of a balanced gameplay is actually very legit, regardless of how many players use it. Also suppose that you'd have to pay 30 € for the insta-OHKO weapon with Hawkeye and Vantage+ effects. would you buy it? (You wouldn't unless heavily addicted)

Edited by Gradivus.

And sorry, but claiming it's a flaw in the game's design that you by your own words do "not have the self discipline to say no!" is not very honest. You are to "blame" here if there was anything to blame regarding how you play a solo vidyagamz. :)

Sorry if I'm assuming things about you that I shouldn't, but I somehow doubt you would be able to resist the possibility to have your favorrite character come back to life if he/she died after an hour long battle and some level-ups with lucky RNG, right when it happens.

@Gradivus: Of course not. But I said most people would use something which is right there. Paying 30 euros would be a gigantic hurdle, the very opposite to the situation I described. And I wouldn't even pay that much for a well balanced weapon.

A few years ago I played an MMORPG which was initially very well balanced. Then they introduced a skill which let you paralyze basically any boss in the game while auto attacking them to death within a few seconds. Basically everyone but me used it. They also introduced weapons which could kill most normal enemies in one normal hit and weren't too hard to come by. They were used by most people as well. Well, not by me. All challenge gone. They reached their goals faster. But did they have fun in the meantime? Well, I still believe in what I said. When you design a game you have to have the gamers in mind. It's naive to think they will all just figure out what's too advantageous and refuse to make use of it. Do you guys like infinite extra lifes in most platformers of today as well? Should there be a POW block every few steps in Super Mario?

Edited by Siskan

I'm sorry, but as much as I love Thracia, Fergus has no trouble tearing through generals. If he is, something is very wrong. Give him a killing edge and watch his PCC of 5 kick in on the second attack. Particularly if Karin is nearby and not RNG screwed.

Also scrolls.

Meanwhile, lance users were shafted hard with the forced dismounting (Dean comes to mind especially) and let's not forget that Pavise stopped /any/ attack when it kicked in, magic or otherwise.

And then the generals the player can use get massively screwed when the game shoots out 'Zerkers with hammers.

Swords are fairly hard to get in fe5, especially when they are on generals. I was specifically referring to when he uses weak swords like iron weapons. Gotta save those uses on the stronger weapons. Lances don't have it great, but Dean is perfectly fine with his A rank in swords. Given, he may still have an issue with the lack of swords in the game. Scrolls can compensate, but early on, you still can't hit generals hard. Plus late game, general defense gets even higher. My bad, I was referring to enemy generals rather than player-controlled. Though Dalsin is really useful early on for tanking.

Lol I swear it's like everyone saying pair up is broken hasn't played Lunatic. You know, the mode pair up was actually tuned for.

Jeebus.

Me before Lunatic: "Wow, this seems like a broken mechanic!"

Me after Lunatic: "I love you pair up don't ever leave me I'm so sorry I said you were broken..."

That being said, I wish the Artificial Intelligence was... Intelligent. Huge glaring example: the riders in Tiki's paralogue - in Lunatic+ when they have pass. It screws their AI so hard that even if they can attack your front units, they just show up by them and go "hi there". Sure, the AI goes after your cleric if you leave her open, but that's not exactly the pinnacle of smart enemy AI. It's not intelligent for a Pegasus Knight to attack an Archer with a Javelin from two spaces away. I'm fine with pair up remaining if the higher difficulties are hard enough to balance it out and if the AI stops its "ZOMG unit in range I do no damage and they OHKO me but IMMA try anyway!" rampage.

Sorry if I'm assuming things about you that I shouldn't, but I somehow doubt you would be able to resist the possibility to have your favorrite character come back to life if he/she died after an hour long battle and some level-ups with lucky RNG, right when it happens.

Well actually I do? I never played Casual (though, again, if someone play that way, what's the matter with it?). If I lose a unit, I restart the battle. That's kind of the thing. Grinding is a different beast altogether: You have to go out of your way to do so, for a fairly significant amount of time. A player know full well what will happen it they do. So yeah, if you grind, you are the responsible for destroying any challenge the game could throw at you.

@Gradivus: Of course not. But I said most people would use something which is right there. Paying 30 euros would be a gigantic hurdle, the very opposite to the situation I described. And I wouldn't even pay that much for a well balanced weapon.

A few years ago I played an MMORPG which was initially very well balanced. Then they introduced a skill which let you paralyze basically any boss in the game while auto attacking them to death within a few seconds. Basically everyone but me used it. They also introduced weapons which could kill most normal enemies in one normal hit and weren't too hard to come by. They were used by most people as well. Well, not by me. All challenge gone. They reached their goals faster. But did they have fun in the meantime? Well, I still believe in what I said. When you design a game you have to have the gamers in mind. It's naive to think they will all just figure out what's too advantageous and refuse to make use of it. Do you guys like infinite extra lifes in most platformers of today as well? Should there be a POW block every few steps in Super Mario?

Again, there is a difference between something that you get simply by progressing through the game, and something you have to specifically seek out to do so. No natural challenge, or having a "You win" button thrown at you automatically is a thing. Grinding for hours is another. You had a choice, you choose.

You do resist? You never even had the option to do revive a character (unless you have been using save states in an emulator I guess). It was a hypothetical question. I'm not talking about newcomer/casual. I suspect most people could make the choice before it happens.

Grinding doesn't have to be broken. I found myself not being able to lose even if I wanted just because I had played a couple of DLC maps when I was able to. If I couldn't foresee that, would someone playing Fire Emblem for the first time? Sure, most people know what grinding means. But you may expect the effect to be limited. In most JRPGs the growth soon decreases dramatically and then it's no longer worthwhile to grind and there are no stronger monsters/whatever until you progress the story. In Awekening you can just keep on going.

I like the arena system. You can take advatage of that, but you're taking a great risk to do so. You are bound to reach a point where you're not willing to take the risk anymore.

Edited by Siskan