Thoughts on New Fire Emblem's quicker localization

HeartTranquil

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They took the time to make dialogue for a mute Avatar so they might take the time to add furigana as well if they do decide on continuing with the mute Avatar. Sure, it's way easier for a mute Avatar's dialogue considering they might not have to alter things graphically like they might have to for the furigana but hey, it's a long shot.

Edited by Magician Lugh

Since Europe has 5 different languages(4 if English isn't counted), translation is likely to take more time than in America. Awakening has came out on April 19th in Europe, two months after the American release. But on the other hand, Nintendo has done things like SSB4 which was released first in America, then in Europe and last in Japan, or Bravely Default, which was released in Europe two months before its release in America. Who knows. I think it might come out in the fall of this year, since it's coming this summer in Japan(August, I suppose), at least in America.

I hope it won't come too late or I'll have to isolate myself trom the Internet if I don't want spoilers

To be fair, I'm assuming that's only half of the game, and there's a Western vibe opposing the Feudal Japan aura, but screw that, nihongo for days.

But that raises the question: Did the kanji in Kakusei have furigana? Was there a kanji-less option?

I'm assuming the Japanese is easier than Kiseki-level Japanese, though, so it shouldn't be impossible to read should I import the game.

I bought the Japanese version of FE: A when it had come out in April 2012. It was rather readable, but it lacks Furigana, and I believe it did not have any option to add it, either. You can see the new FE, based on the trailer, has no furigana as well.

The kanji is still on the simpler side and not too hard to look up, however.

I plan to download FE14 to save on shipping costs / play instantly come this Summer.

EDIT: Ah, I did not see this was answered, as I was unaware of the second page in this thread. XD

Edited by Kirokan

They took the time to make dialogue for a mute Avatar so they might take the time to add furigana as well if they do decide on continuing with the mute Avatar.

As a semi decent Japanese speaker this absolutely makes no sense to me. I might be being a bit harsh for this, but the kana mode was implemented in pokemon for EXTREMELY YOUNG CHILDREN. They expect you to outgrow that fairly early. An entire script for mute MU has no relation to that.

Whatever the US release ends up being (I can wait), I just hope the European release isn't much later. Awakening was two months later, and that was fine, but it's annoying knowing there's a fully translated English version out in the US, but we have to wait here for the game to be translated even though in this country we end up getting the English version anyway (and thank God for that).

On the other hand, whenever there are gameplay differences between the US and EU versions I tend to prefer the latter, so it's fine in that regard.

Comparing localization times for different games:

Rekka no Ken and Sacred Stones took 7 months each

Path of Radiance and Shadow Dragon took 6 months each

Radiant Dawn took 9 months

Awakening took 10 months

That means that average localization time for FE games is 7-8 months, so I'd say around Christmas would probably be about the earliest we could expect to get it.

As a semi decent Japanese speaker this absolutely makes no sense to me. I might be being a bit harsh for this, but the kana mode was implemented in pokemon for EXTREMELY YOUNG CHILDREN. They expect you to outgrow that fairly early. An entire script for mute MU has no relation to that.

Wait, they actually changed the written script for FE13 mute? I thought they just removed all of Avatar's voice effects.

Wait, they actually changed the written script for FE13 mute? I thought they just removed all of Avatar's voice effects.

Yeah, the Avatar spoke like "...?" "...!" "...", and I think all the other dialogue had to be tweaked so the player would get what the Avatar was 'really' saying, hence it's exclusion from english release.

Whatever the US release ends up being (I can wait), I just hope the European release isn't much later. Awakening was two months later, and that was fine, but it's annoying knowing there's a fully translated English version out in the US, but we have to wait here for the game to be translated even though in this country we end up getting the English version anyway (and thank God for that).

That's because they had to translate the text into French, Spanish, Italian and German languages as well.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

I do wonder if they'll translate this game to Spanish and French for NA as well. They're doing that more often with games. Of course, they might just stick with the European translations in which case a simultaneous EU/NA release would be likely, or they might just release it in English here like Awakening if they want a quicker release.

I don't think we should use previous FE localizations as a meter for gauging what will happen moving forward.

FEA was such a resounding success that made most of us so happy :)

There is absolutely good reason to believe that there will be faster localization given how the game debuted across Nintendo Direct regions.

Though I understand why some would think that supports take a lot of text, it is quite likely that localization has already begun - take Atlus USA for example. Their current localization internal projects usually start well before the JPN release date.

Nintendo is moving towards that direction in terms of localization too.

Looking at the trailers, there's been little changes to the engine of the game correct? This is like Persona 4 following Persona 3, but with a entirely different story and cast. So there's good reason to believe localization of this game can and could have started much earlier as Treehouse wouldn't have to wait too long for the devs to sort the engine out.

Just some thoughts.

I honestly want them to localize this new FE to US reg faster. I really can't wait to play it and I hope I can play it by 2015. Releasing it globally will also be nice. There's no need to add English voice, just stay with Japanese voice only (I don't mind, IMO Japanese VA is better than the English one).

There's no need to add English voice, just stay with Japanese voice only (I don't mind, IMO Japanese VA is better than the English one).

You know this is not going to happen.

Awakening's English voice cast was amazing, and with a second game with full professional voice-over we could get even more awesome acting. Like imagine if we got Johnny Yong Bosch, Hynden Walch, Sean Schemmel, people like that for voice work. That would be amazing.

Awakening's English voice cast was amazing, and with a second game with full professional voice-over we could get even more awesome acting. Like imagine if we got Johnny Yong Bosch, Hynden Walch, Sean Schemmel, people like that for voice work. That would be amazing.

The people you mentioned really aren't any more special than the ones Awakening had as it is. Bosch works with a lot of the Awakening cast as it is, and I don't think Sean Schemmel even does voice work anymore aside from Goku.

That's because they had to translate the text into French, Spanish, Italian and German languages as well.

Wha? Yes, I get that - that's my whole point. The EU release is generally later because it's translated into different languages, but here we get the English one anyway so it feels silly to have to wait.

The people you mentioned really aren't any more special than the ones Awakening had as it is. Bosch works with a lot of the Awakening cast as it is, and I don't think Sean Schemmel even does voice work anymore aside from Goku.

I never said they were any better than Awakening's voice cast, since Awakening's voice cast already includes top of the line anime and cartoon voice actors.

As for Schemmel.... it's a beautiful dream.

Well, Neal, you actually have a legit reason to import and play it.To protect the weeb Feudal Japan aura in the story to the fullest extent by reading it in the UNADULTERATED HOLY LANGUAGE OF THE RISING SUN.

If it's the land of the rising sun, then why do people call the language moonspeak?

???

I have no real contribution to this topic. I hope localization started early in development. In took Pokemon only 6 gens to get worldwide releases!