Codename S.T.E.A.M

Jedi

Perpetual?

You mean peripheral right

Yes.

But...it worries me that Nintendo is telling us that we have to upgrade to the New XL if were to play it with amiibo functionality. Hoping that meaning it is those who want to play it with them now as some of us aren't getting New 3DS XL's. Plus I cannot record the game anyway with amiibo functionality not being available without the device and that capture boards cannot be installed on new 3DS's. Just hoping it is region free if it isn't coming out in NA/Euro.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm curious about why the characters (aside from the FE ones) speak English in every version of the game. I mean, sure, the characters are based off of American figures who speak English, but some players in Europe and Japan and whatnot won't understand what they're saying, I bet. Not everybody out there speaks/understands any English.

Yes.

But...it worries me that Nintendo is telling us that we have to upgrade to the New XL if were to play it with amiibo functionality. Hoping that meaning it is those who want to play it with them now as some of us aren't getting New 3DS XL's. Plus I cannot record the game anyway with amiibo functionality not being available without the device and that capture boards cannot be installed on new 3DS's. Just hoping it is region free if it isn't coming out in NA/Euro.

Nintendo of America officially announced the amiibo peripheral in April, it will be released when Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer releases in the fall.

I'm curious about why the characters (aside from the FE ones) speak English in every version of the game. I mean, sure, the characters are based off of American figures who speak English, but some players in Europe and Japan and whatnot won't understand what they're saying, I bet. Not everybody out there speaks/understands any English.

This is more common than you think. Have you played Punch Out Wii? Every character there speaks his native language, and there's French, Spanish, Russian, German, and even a Turkish character in that game.

This is more common than you think. Have you played Punch Out Wii? Every character there speaks his native language, and there's French, Spanish, Russian, German, and even a Turkish character in that game.

I think a better example is Battalion Wars/Famicom Wars. There is no Japanese dub in the Japanese version at all. It just has Japanese subtitles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mf_NaBiOao4

The best example would probably be Metal Wolf Chaos. Not just because it's a game with only an English dub and no international release but also because it features the US President fighting villains in a mecha.

Why is it always up the Japanese to make patriotic games like that?

Of course, if you are living outside the Japanese or English speaking world, not getting an appropriate dub for your Japanese console games is kinda par for the course. I was really surprised when Radiant Dawn got one. Text translations aren't always guaranteed either. Sometimes even the major European languages don't get text translations, like with Tales of the Abyss. Kingdom Hearts 3D also skipped some translations, from what I recall.

Btw, does anyone know if Ike's sword beam can shot down those annoying Stun Flies?

Man, I knew Ike's sword beam was weak but I had no it would be this bad. There is probably some utility for a reliable projectile with near unlimited range and reliable knockback but the beam is supposedly his "Primary Weapon". Just how is this guy intended to be used?

Edited by BrightBow

Such a shame they're not really advertising this game in Europe. It's so good!

Literally the only complaint I have is the shameless amiibo support. Nintendo really is forgetting the meaning of "unlockables", as it seems.

I'm not happy with the Amiibo "support" either. Having 4 out of 16 characters as on-disc DLC that requires 15 bucks the piece to unlock is bullocks. And requiring players to rescan them every time they die is just DRM.

Although since they rely heavily on assets from other characters... and at least in the case of Ike and Marth are painfully underpowered and far too situational, I usually don't want to use them anyway. It's painfully obvious that they were just tagged on.

Still, Nintendo finally needs to give customers a more reasonably prized way to unlock stuff like that. Underpowered or not, they are still full characters, FE characters no less. It's not like Amiibos have this crazy demand because of Nintendo's overpriced DLC anyway, so there is no need for underhanded tactics like that.

Besides, if the DLC characters weren't tied to Amiibos, it would have kept the door open for Nintendo Wars characters like Sami or Grit. They could also be implemented easier in a game centered around ranged weapons then a bunch of sword users.

Edit: Anyway, advertisements or not, I hope the fact that the PAL version of the game can immediately update to 1.1.0. helps it's sales over here. It cannot be overstated how much the fast forwarding helps the entire feel of the game and it would be a real shame if the IP and it's ideas don't go anywhere just because that feature wasn't available from day 1.

Edited by BrightBow

Btw, does anyone know if Ike's sword beam can shot down those annoying Stun Flies?

Man, I knew Ike's sword beam was weak but I had no it would be this bad. There is probably some utility for a reliable projectile with near unlimited range and reliable knockback but the beam is supposedly his "Primary Weapon". Just how is this guy intended to be used?

yes they can be. Stun Bugs only fire their shots once per turn too so you can use Marth to prevent them from stunning you during that turn too. It really sucks that they don't give you scarecrow who has stun immunity beforehand when they were first introduced as it would have been very useful. In terms of Ike, that's pretty much the best use I got from him other than that, I feel Ike is starting to become the worst of the units almost reaching Dorothy tier at this point after playing 60 hours or so. I've been doing an FE runthrough and he's always the unit that dies first in my playthroughs and his lack of overwatch really hurts him.

Marth's no damage from overwatch is actually surprisingly useful after playing with him for a while but how I wish his steam recharge was not so bad. 6 per turn is just why? He should have at least 8 if he were to be more viable. He does have some uses though. Later on in the levels there were a huge number of dreadnaughts and I just used Marth to make them lose all of their steam reserves and then just ran past them to the goal area. One time in Online, I used Marth to make an enemy opponent's fox lose all her steam reserves and then I put a bunch of bullets right at her.

But yeah it still sucks that you have to have the amiibo to use them online as one time scan will not work since you have to rescan them everytime if you want to play online.

Marth's no damage from overwatch is actually surprisingly useful after playing with him for a while but how I wish his steam recharge was not so bad. 6 per turn is just why? He should have at least 8 if he were to be more viable. He does have some uses though. Later on in the levels there were a huge number of dreadnaughts and I just used Marth to make them lose all of their steam reserves and then just ran past them to the goal area. One time in Online, I used Marth to make an enemy opponent's fox lose all her steam reserves and then I put a bunch of bullets right at her.

I also think Marth has some uses and use him occasionally. Especially in indoor levels. But so far, this is probably because I progress through levels rather carefully, which gives him some time to store up steam and so he can perform a sprint and perform a decent number of attacks when enemies show up. I would expect that if one gets better at the game, Marth would probably simply fall behind and never catch up. 8 points of steam definitely sounds good to me.

But when it comes to Ike, I have no idea how he should even be buffed since I have no idea how he is supposed to actually be used in the first place. Despite his greater Steam recharge, he is not even as good as Marth is in close quarters since he actually smashes enemies right out of his range and in different directions.

Well, it's definitely good to hear that his beam can be aimed against airborne targets. Making these flies difficult to hit was definitely not a good design decision in what is supposed to be a turn-based strategy game and not a test of reflexes but this should ease the pain.

Edit: Okay, I tried to use Ike to take on those stun flies and... well, I learned that they have no less then 10HP (well, technically it might be between 9-11 HP but I think 10HP is a very safe bet). Also, the boss of chapter 6 apparently raises the defense of all enemies, otherwise I have no idea why Ike only deals 4 points of damage with each strike (without QuebQueb around, of course). But am glad that this method works. Even if it is not as effective as I hoped, it is reliable.

Edited by BrightBow

Edit: Okay, I tried to use Ike to take on those stun flies and... well, I learned that they have no less then 10HP (well, technically it might be between 9-11 HP but I think 10HP is a very safe bet). Also, the boss of chapter 6 apparently raises the defense of all enemies, otherwise I have no idea why Ike only deals 4 points of damage with each strike (without QuebQueb around, of course). But am glad that this method works. Even if it is not as effective as I hoped, it is reliable.

Yeah it's mostly used for knockback and not really for killing but even then, Califia and Queequeg's attacks use just as much steam and can unleash devestating blows at the same time so why not ike? I guess they wanted to differentiate him from Robin since his attacks are equivalent to Califia's main weapon but with no knockback but that honestly doesn't matter much since his can overwatch. If Ragnell would do about 10 to 15 hp damage per hit it maybe a lot more viable since it is a multihit penetration attack but other than that the number of steam usage for what it currently does is so not worth it.

The game definitely looses some steam after The Fox joins. It doesn't quite seem to be able to keep up with her and the Ninja Boiler. The weak grunts from the beginning of the game would actually make things harder now if they would replace the Lizard guys. I mean, Fox has her weaknesses but as long as the game continues to throw enemies who carry their weak spots right in front of them or fliers at her, those limitations never actually matter.

The game definitely looses some steam after The Fox joins. It doesn't quite seem to be able to keep up with her and the Ninja Boiler. The weak grunts from the beginning of the game would actually make things harder now if they would replace the Lizard guys. I mean, Fox has her weaknesses but as long as the game continues to throw enemies who carry their weak spots right in front of them or fliers at her, those limitations never actually matter.

Yeah there is a reason Fox is considered the best character in the entire game. She can utterly destroy any units from long distance with weakspots exposed, has one of the highest damage capabilities in overwatch, demolishes bosses and some of the air units. There is a reason why she is almost a necessity in online multiplayer and pairing with Tin Man literally makes two foxes in a single team. However later levels are still pretty challenging and I still have nightmares attempting to get all the gears in mission 15. Oh why did they have to put one of the gears in the worst location possible in 15-2.

If you're curious this is the current tier list for what most people agree with right now.

LgAFfLG.png

I just picked this up a couple of days ago and got around to it today. I freakin love this game. I'm gonna have to get my hands on an adapter though to use my FE amiibos in the game though since I don't wanna shell out for a new3ds.

Yeah there is a reason Fox is considered the best character in the entire game. She can utterly destroy any units from long distance with weakspots exposed, has one of the highest damage capabilities in overwatch, demolishes bosses and some of the air units. There is a reason why she is almost a necessity in online multiplayer and pairing with Tin Man literally makes two foxes in a single team. However later levels are still pretty challenging and I still have nightmares attempting to get all the gears in mission 15. Oh why did they have to put one of the gears in the worst location possible in 15-2.

If you're curious this is the current tier list for what most people agree with right now.

That seems about right. Although I am surprised to see two Amiibos up there. I mean, obviously they are better then Marth and Ike but I still wouldn't have expected someone without a selectable boiler to be able to perform that well. Still, Fox probably wouldn't be that great if the game wouldn't use that many Prowlers and fliers after she joins.

I also tried my first online match today and Fox, QuicQuec and Califa did indeed manage to completely destroy my opponent. It's hard to tell with just one match but that range seems hard to match unless they are countered with the same tools.

Btw, do you maybe know if or how players in mutliplayer are affected by Randolph's bait?

Edited by BrightBow

I also tried my first online match today and Fox, QuicQuec and Califa did indeed manage to completely destroy my opponent. That range seems hard to match unless they are countered with the same tools.

Btw, do you maybe know if or how players in mutliplayer are affected by Randolph's bait?

In multplayer, randolph's bait forces the enemy player unit to look at it. This is great for preventing the enemy unit from overwatching you in a general direction and exposing their back which is a weakspot if you placed it correctly.

I just picked this up a couple of days ago and got around to it today. I freakin love this game. I'm gonna have to get my hands on an adapter though to use my FE amiibos in the game though since I don't wanna shell out for a new3ds.

And did you make sure to download the update? In case you don't know, it is needed in order to be able to speed up the enemies' turn, which makes a massive difference.

In multplayer, randolph's bait forces the enemy player unit to look at it. This is great for preventing the enemy unit from overwatching you in a general direction and exposing their back which is a weakspot if you placed it correctly.

That does indeed sound useful. Thank you for the info.

And did you make sure to download the update? In case you don't know, it is needed in order to be able to speed up the enemies' turn, which makes a massive difference.

I did not but thanks for letting me know.

I'm curious if it would have affected the sales of the game if the feature was available from the beginning of the game. I recall that I wasn't too exited when playing the demo for the first time. All that waiting really dragged down the overall feel of the game.

And besides, even if one updates, it's probably easy to overlook that they added a new slider to the touchscreen. Sure, I was able to find it quickly but I also knew that this new feature existed beforehand.

Speaking of easy-to-miss buttons, that Streepass button really looked to me like it was just part of the background. I wonder if a lot of people missed that one.

Edited by BrightBow

I'm curious if it would have affected the sales of the game if the feature was available from the beginning of the game. I recall that I wasn't too exited when playing the demo for the first time. All that waiting really dragged down the overall feel of the game.

And besides, even if one updates, it's probably easy to overlook that they added a new slider to the touchscreen. Sure, I was able to find it quickly but I also knew that this new feature existed beforehand.

I personally think it only affected slightly but not by much. The biggest problem was definitely the artstyle and its marketing. People were really turned off by the look of the game. You would not believe how much people were ranting about how the game looks rather than about how the gameplay plays like. Most didn't attempt the demo to make judgments. All I ever heard from the community during the time of release or promotion of the game was,

"Where is mah new advance wars?"

"Don't care where's my Mewtwo and new Nintendo direct?"

"Art is crap, shovelware tier"

"terrible american artwork"

"Intelligent Systems is working on this over a new Paper Mario or Advance Wars?"

It unfortunately suffers from the classic idiom, "Never judge a book by its cover." I was personally sadden and sickened by the community in general for judging the game by its looks and design rather than by the gameplay itself. It is like they learned nothing from Windwaker at all. Sales for this game in general is pretty bad. At around 40,000 copies and Japan hardly broke the 2,000 unit mark. The ones that did try it out and played the game thought it was fine.

So honestly I do not expect a sequel anytime soon.

Edited by kingddd

What drove my completely insane was how people completely ate up the Majora's Mask remake, but simply gave CNS the cold shoulder. I have nothing against Zelda or Majora's Mask, but when I have the opportunity to try something new I take it.

So I finally beat the finale. This was quite the ride. They really did a nice job upping the ant for the final levels, even with using Fox.

[spoiler=Chapter 15-16 anecdotes]

When I faced a duo of of Dreadnoughts in 15-1, I saw no real choice to progress but to distract them and run past him. Unfortunately I didn't have Carter but it worked out well enough, if just barely. Would have hated to loose after making it out of the pit.

But once I got to 16-1, I was able to figure out how to quickly target their weakpoint after they perform an overwatch attack. That was a bit awkward but it worked. I just wonder what I should have done without Fox. They drop their guard when their are no other enemies around but if there are two of them?

Starface just plain wrecked me, though. No idea how to really approach this guy but I somehow made it past him.

I am also glad I managed to get all the gears right away, so I don't need to jump right back into those levels. Linking the levels and requiring players to beat all of them in one go before they are allowed to keep the stuff they collect is not one of the game's better design decisions.

Edit: There is definitely lots of stuff to do but the mere idea of "Intuition" and "No Return" scares me. I guess for now I will settle for replaying the old maps normally with different approaches.

What disappoints me, is that not a single one of the FE songs was unlocked. Silly me assuming that 4 songs means that there is one for each of the 4 figurines.

What I am taking of kingddd's post over one GFQs, since the songs should play with all 4 characters deployed, they should consequently show up in the Sound Test once they are heard for the first time. That makes me all the more thankful that he uploaded them, since this isn't going to happen for me anytime soon.

Edited by BrightBow

Edit: There is definitely lots of stuff to do but the mere idea of "Intuition" and "No Return" scares me. I guess for now I will settle for replaying the old maps normally with different approaches.

They are definitely quite challenging considering they completely remove the save checkpoints forcing you to never be able to get extra steam recharges. So you'll definitely have to plan a lot more in those modes. Not to mention Mericiless mode is quite challenging when enemies do a lot more damage. I had to have Lucina or Queequeg's passive ability + the last boiler in order to actually get past most of the missions.

They are definitely quite challenging considering they completely remove the save checkpoints forcing you to never be able to get extra steam recharges. So you'll definitely have to plan a lot more in those modes. Not to mention Mericiless mode is quite challenging when enemies do a lot more damage. I had to have Lucina or Queequeg's passive ability + the last boiler in order to actually get past most of the missions.

Merciless mode doesn't sound too bad to me, considering that it's just a change in numbers. But for the other two, "No Return" would completely mess with one's instincts after playing the game for so long, while the mode called "Intuition" probably results in a lot of situations were one gets caught with their pants down. I guess it would help if I never assume that I have more steam in the boiler then I get per turn.

Edited by BrightBow