Ban the User Above You

Splodge

6 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Would be wrong, anyhow since there's still plenty of other stuff being talked about, even if it gets largely buried-- I mean, overshadowed by Berwick.
XD

Banned because I say that since it’s the first part of the title.

• Replies 27k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• null

• DragonFlames

• Sidereal Wraith

• Sooks

3 hours ago, Sooks1016 said:

Although I have no idea why you would think that maps have nothing to do with what’s happening, I can’t think of a single one like that.

It's more the paralogues that suffer from this, tbh.

Spoiler

I wouldn’t say Jeralt’s death is the sort of plot twist that needs setup, I don’t even think it really constitutes as a plot twist. He is a human who can die so him dying doesn’t really need setup. As far as Monica being a villain, I think that’s perfectly foreshadowed, she’s this random girl who isn’t recruitable that you only see a handful times, one of which she is having a secret meeting with Edelgard where they’re planning a meeting that Edelgard doesn’t want you to hear. Plus she disappeared and randomly shows up again, implying she had been in a secret passage in the building for an entire year and no one found her. Sus.

Spoiler

I still feel like it was too out-of-the-blue. Surprises can be good, (FROM A PLOT PERSPECTIVE AMBUSH SPAWNS AREN'T GOOD) but there has to be something there. I agree that the Monica bit was set up well, but I feel like there should have been a bit of a better moment that occured before Jeralt's death rather than just random beats. Like, maybe if Jeralt had an important mission, or was fighting when he is betrayed or something, it would have improved. Temporarily playable Monica would have been kind of neat, actually.

HARD AGREE.

"Son, we are in a FE game, so I'll die soon. Uh, check my room. Toodles~"

Where do you see this in fe? Not Kagasaga istg-

No, we don't see this in mainline FE, sadly. Berwick did an amazing job with this, since you really do see the war from several perspectives-Nobles, commoners, Bandits, the impoverished, the enemy's point of view, peoples whose lands were caught up in the war...I really liked that. FE really needs to take a page from Berwick, in terms of storytelling, at least. It'd help improve FE.

Regardless, I don't think comparing FE to FE is necessarily a good way to improve the writing. There are other forms of media that also feature strong writing and storytelling.

Which is why you should play Blue Lions

That’s a big fault with the game, a lot of stuff is just sort of told to you instead of shown and VW and CF feel rushed. Because they spread themselves too thin over four routes, probably.

Yeah, I did intentionally pick VW first, since I knew it was the weakest route narrative-wise. Guess that means I have to play AM after this to be fair to TH.

Spoiler

As far as the Flame Emperor, ignoring the setup that’s already there, I’m not certain why that really needs setup when the pieces fall into place afterwards?

The setup was fine, the reveal was just lacking. It lacked pizazz, you know? It could have been a really epic and momentous moment, but it really wasn't.

Banned because Teeheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Banned because it is all good.

Also banned because what is the job title of the owner of Old MacDonald's farm?

The C aye E aye O.

Banned because I’m glad they mostly removed ambush spawns.

1 hour ago, Benice said:

Reveal hidden contents

I still feel like it was too out-of-the-blue. Surprises can be good, (FROM A PLOT PERSPECTIVE AMBUSH SPAWNS AREN'T GOOD) but there has to be something there. I agree that the Monica bit was set up well, but I feel like there should have been a bit of a better moment that occured before Jeralt's death rather than just random beats. Like, maybe if Jeralt had an important mission, or was fighting when he is betrayed or something, it would have improved. Temporarily playable Monica would have been kind of neat, actually.

Oh, that’s what you meant. I guess I agree with you though I would see that as nothing more than a nitpick, but if it’s important to you it’s important to you. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1 hour ago, Benice said:

"Son, we are in a FE game, so I'll die soon. Uh, check my room. Toodles~"

Yes.

1 hour ago, Benice said:

No, we don't see this in mainline FE, sadly. Berwick did an amazing job with this,

Benice.txt 😛

1 hour ago, Benice said:

since you really do see the war from several perspectives-Nobles, commoners, Bandits, the impoverished, the enemy's point of view, peoples whose lands were caught up in the war...I really liked that. FE really needs to take a page from Berwick, in terms of storytelling, at least. It'd help improve FE.

You’re right. I guess for some reason my brain thought you were singling out Three Houses for having a story worse than most FEs.

1 hour ago, Benice said:

Regardless, I don't think comparing FE to FE is necessarily a good way to improve the writing. There are other forms of media that also feature strong writing and storytelling.

Sure, but I would say comparison to FE is the most important because this is FE. If that makes sense.

1 hour ago, Benice said:

Yeah, I did intentionally pick VW first, since I knew it was the weakest route narrative-wise. Guess that means I have to play AM after this to be fair to TH.

Azure Moon gives you one of the best scenes in the game imo for that reveal. I wish the other routes had gotten cutscenes but oh well.

Basically, banned because I agree with most of your points but I don’t think that actually makes the story any worse. I think the story is very good and thrilling, but presented in a less than ideal way. It could have been told much better, that’s how I feel. (1st writing rule is show not tell IS!)

2 minutes ago, Sooks1016 said:

You’re right. I guess for some reason my brain thought you were singling out Three Houses for having a story worse than most FEs.

No, I am just salty and am trying to rationalize my salt.

No, overall I think FE can really improve. Its story is better than most FEs, even if I dislike it.

3 minutes ago, Sooks1016 said:

Sure, but I would say comparison to FE is the most important because this is FE. If that makes sense.

True, although if we only compare FE to FE, then we end up with comparisons like Fates v

No, I am just salty and am trying to rationalize my salt.

No, overall I think FE can really improve. Its story is better than most FEs, even if I dislike it.

3 minutes ago, Sooks1016 said:

True, although if we only compare FE to FE, then we end up with comparisons like Fates v

Banned for being correct, although I’m not sure why she gets so much special treatment.

I don't know, actually. She only has one map where she has special dialogue. Well, I guess she does recruit a lot of people too.

Banned for being correct as well.