FE8 Skill Ideas?

Brendor

Oh man, make a ragefest where if a certain character (preferably the lord) is ever attacked, the game resets, then make every enemy target the lord. FUN FUN FUN!

my idea for a ragefest hack was using the Torch Staff combined with a mounted unit to navigate through a path to escape, fighting through enemies along the way, and using the Torch staff to force post-combat canto. If you're too slow, the turn timer will end, or a wave of death enemies behind you will catch up.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I figured if I'm going to make a whole skill system, I may as well make a display so I tried playing around with the VRAM and came up with this:

EfVsIG7.png

I originally thought 16x16 icons would work well but looks kinda small so I think I'll try 32x32 later

If the artistically inclined want to make some icons that'd be great :D:

Edited by Brendor

I figured if I'm going to make a whole skill system, I may as well make a display so I tried playing around with the VRAM and came up with this:

EfVsIG7.png

I originally thought 16x16 icons would work well but looks kinda small so I think I'll try 32x32 later

If the artistically inclined want to make some icons that'd be great :D:

I think we agreed that seth should have sigurd skill right id even make the icon if needed??

Edited by TTPK_Tal

the fuck is a sigurd skill

New Skill

Sigurd -100% Activation rate 9999+Str 99999+Def and res immortality and Being god in general

I have nothing ill give more ideas later

it was a joke

I really think Eirika Should have vantage seth should have Nihil and Sol

Edited by TTPK_Tal

it was a joke

I really think Eirika Should have vantage seth should have Nihil and Sol

you can do that once I release a patch

Since I hold an interest in a decent skill system being a thing in the GBA games I may give some skill icons a go... Although I've never actually done it before. What'd you have in mind?

the ones from the other fe's first would be cool ie adept luna vengeance big shield etc

Hm... Any color palette in mind? Or not?

I think i'll start with 4 or so skill icons first... That should be sufficient enough for you to let me know if I should bother with more or not.

I'm thinking of inserting the array of skill icons separately so you make your own palette if you want.

I haven't exactly got the science of it down yet but I'm getting there

I have some 16x16 icons made by Gabriel Knight. Feel free to use them.

msg-3862-0-64611700-1412510184.png

I need them bigger than 16x16 I'm thinking more 24x24

we could just use some FE5/FE4 skill icons for skills like wrath and nihil

but that's booorrrring!

Edited by Brendor

Yeah that's a good point, I think they should have something unique instead of just they same. Maybe something like "Intimidate", steal an item and have a Con + Str% chance to make the unit unable to move on its turn .

Intimidate sounds like a cool class skill.

Thieves could steal items, bandits could steal gold and weapons?

Honestly, Bandits seem more like a brute force kind of guy/gal, a bandit 'stealing' an item after killing the enemy makes more sense than that on a thief imo. (Not saying it is unfitting on a thief, though)That units do better with different amounts of gold would be very interesting in FE4(where each unit has their own gold count), imo. I get that has nothing to do with this topic though lol

I think potentially the stat mechanics behind weapon and/or gold stealing favoring bandits over thieves,(like str and con) and items and/or gold(depending on which you prefer more able to take gold) favoring thieves with SPD and skl would be probably enough to make a distinction between Bandit and Thief stealing niches without locking one or the other out of general thievery skills.

...skills dealing with taking items via defeat or attack could be exclusive to the bigger bandit/brigand though, perhaps...

-----

The proc suggestions have been interesting to read. I will give a think to what I can come up with that hasn't been suggested already.(BTW proc is referring basically to battle "process" skills? As in skills that work within the battle mechanics/processes? Is that right? I don't really use the term "proc" so... Was hoping I understood. XD )

On the icons Klok posted... Might be worth getting in touch with Gabe... 'Cause those are nice. Maybe Gabe might be willing to do up some 24x24 versions of them?

----

May as well try suggesting something non thief related... ;)

Parry has been a skill name suggested... What if the Parry skill instead of simply blocking all damage like great shield allowed another attack on successful activation? With the idea that parrying an attack leaves the parried attacker wide open to be attacked by the defender?

...I dunno, maybe too similar to counter. Maybe someone else has a better tweak or suggestion on this idea?

i got in touch with GabrielKnight and he's on it

parry sounds like it wouldnt play nice with the buffer but I can try

I'm working on changing the portrait system at the same time so I must admit I am getting kinda distracted

Changing the portrait system eh? *intrigued*

On that latest image... It could work having the affinity there beside the name, but wouldn't that run into issues with larger names, like Faratrass? (Though I guess then you could put the skills 16x16 in the affinity space...)

fEMOya9.png

I feel like the previous idea of skills below the stats might work better, look more spaced out, and avoid that names issue.

EfVsIG7.png

Edited by TheErrantShepherd

Changing the portrait system eh? *intrigued*

On that latest image... It could work having the affinity there beside the name, but wouldn't that run into issues with larger names, like Faratrass? (Though I guess then you could put the skills 16x16 in the affinity space...)

fEMOya9.png

I wasn't going to use the affinity spot for skills, just something else like lover or something

For the name issue, how about this? I don't know if it looks good..

eGqBGDW.png

yes. LV is now a vulnerary. Fite me

Here's kind of a preview of what the skills would look like using random icons in the VRAM

pf0mrCB.png

Edited by Brendor

have you considered including the title "skills" on the stat page above the skill icons

I have and now that I know how to write shit to the screen it shouldn't be too bad only

1: I don't have a fancy "Skills" banner to put up unless I just copy over the word "Skill" from the stat and append an 's' which would probably look tacky

2: if I put up a banner AND icons, everything might look squeezed in but that's something I have to experiment with

edit:

0IYkVdN.png

maybe this?

I need spriters

Edited by Brendor

Yeah, personally I've been chatting with Yeti so long that I too think STR/MAG is pointless. A POW/SPI split, where SPI = Spirit and is used for skill costs, regenerating effects, mana for magic users, etc would be way more sensible than having a pointless split.