FE8 Skill Ideas?

Brendor

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd have no idea where to even begin with another page. Maybe I could look at Pi's logic as a reference but otherwise nah

and after all that hard work I'd *have* to fill up the space with something. I'm also in the process of moving the affinity icon to the right of the units name. Thoughts on that? I will make it so that it can be selected with the r-button too so everyone Lin is happy. Also bringing fatigue back.

I'm doing mad shit..

I'd have no idea where to even begin with another page. Maybe I could look at Pi's logic as a reference but otherwise nah

and after all that hard work I'd *have* to fill up the space with something. I'm also in the process of moving the affinity icon to the right of the units name. Thoughts on that? I will make it so that it can be selected with the r-button too so everyone Lin is happy. Also bringing fatigue back.

I'm doing mad shit..

Im pro moving affinity right to the units name especialy if you are adding fatigue

Yeah... I just saw pi's page 4. So clearly the concept is viable... Just a matter of what to do with all the space, as the current GUI he has for skills is... A little plain to say the least?

*goes to check out previous FE skills pages for ideas*

On the affinity by the name thing... Still the potential problem of name length though with doing that.

But hey, try it out see what works.(honestly if not for the name length problems I would say it seems perfect)

Edited by TheErrantShepherd

• 4 weeks later...

interesting...was checking out to see what you guys do in hacks looks impressive

well to suggest a few skills I didn't see mentioned yet.

Disarm-cancels superior more fun twin helps with weapon stealing( perfect if taking enemies weapons is the main source of revenue)

if paragon is being added aptitude and discipline could be useful additions for unit training

faire skills could be added my though is a damage boost plus small weight reduction for that weapon type stats might need a little bit more balance though.

a custom idea for the bandits

-Pilage-a skill that on kill the enemy would have a chance drop (%skill) their equipped weapon on death

custom general skill. for a normal FE its more situational but for a status spamfest...

spirit ward-grants the unit immunity to status

• 3 weeks later...

How about this for a playable Magic Seal Unit:

-obtains the "Seal" command

-can be activated and deactivated during player phase

-however, have the seal be reduced from 10 squares to, say, anywhere between 3 & 7?

-Staves and anyone with a boss icon are immune to the seal

Intercept the battle calculations for WTA shenanigans?

Skill that gives bonuses based on the difference between your weapon rank and the rank of the weapon you have equipped?

"Active" skills with cooldowns that are reduced by a stat, cooldowns both in turns and in battles? Autoactivate, not command.

"If not moving" that grants stats? "If moving <X tiles"?

Check enemy terrain? Negate enemy terrain?

e.g.

Prowess - Can only be at WTD against Reaver weapons and weapons of higher rank than the one you have equipped. (Checking for the reaver ability on the other weapon, not hardcoded)

Wild Fighter - Enemies with a lower ranked Weapon than you lose 1 place on weapon triangle (Advantage -> Normal, Normal -> Disadvantage)

Colossal - [activates every [10 / LUK]'th' battle]: Add difference between weapon weight and CON, or half of weapon weight, whichever is higher, to atk

Hawkeye - If moving no more than 2 spaces, gains 1 range with Bows (all bows)

Readiness - +15 Hit if moving no more than 1 tile, always on during enemy phase

Faith - Staff range +1 (e.g. makes heal 1-2, physic [(mag/2 min 5)+1])

Fair Ground - copies opponent's terrain bonuses if superior to own

Terrain Cancel - Enemy's Terrain confers no in-battle benefits against the user

Canto-but-not:

Pirouette - Can move 1 space after acting (trade, attack, item use)

Dive Shot - Can move 1 space after attacking if moved exactly 1 space before attacking with a Bow. Can't return to space you started in.

Acrobatics - Can move X spaces after attacking if had at least X*2 movement left when attacking with a Bow.

Tantivy - Can use remaining movement after attacking with a Bow, or half of it with other weapons.

Check weapon stats?

Fervent - Hit, Avoid, CrEv are all increased by the equipped weapon's Might. Critical is increased by half of weapon's Might.

?:

Edited by Eliwan

Intercept the battle calculations for WTA shenanigans?

details are your friend

Skill that gives bonuses based on the difference between your weapon rank and the rank of the weapon you have equipped?

That's kind of an interesting concept. The max rank is S and the minimum is E so the max difference would be 5 although it might remove incentive to trade up to a different weapon type (eg Iron > Steel) if the bonuses outweigh the added Mt

"Active" skills with cooldowns that are reduced by a stat, cooldowns both in turns and in battles? Autoactivate, not command.

wut

"If not moving" that grants stats? "If moving <X tiles"?

Yeah I had an idea like that, specifically a spin off of Fallout 3's Superior Defender

Check enemy terrain? Negate enemy terrain?'

Pi did this apparently, but I guess I could

e.g.

Prowess - Can only be at WTD against Reaver weapons and weapons of higher rank than the one you have equipped. (Checking for the reaver ability on the other weapon, not hardcoded)

wut

Wild Fighter - Enemies with a lower ranked Weapon than you lose 1 place on weapon triangle (Advantage -> Normal, Normal -> Disadvantage)

I..see. Seems a bit much but I'll consider it

Colossal - [activates every [10 / LUK]'th' battle]: Add difference between weapon weight and CON, or half of weapon weight, whichever is higher, to atk

yeah ok

Hawkeye - If moving no more than 2 spaces, gains 1 range with Bows (all bows)

ranges are annoying but doable

Readiness - +15 Hit if moving no more than 1 tile, always on during enemy phase

wut

Faith - Staff range +1 (e.g. makes heal 1-2, physic [(mag/2 min 5)+1])

I've told several people that this type of thing would be ridiculously annoying to make because staff ranges don't behave like weapon ranges

Fair Ground - copies opponent's terrain bonuses if superior to own

yeah alright

Terrain Cancel - Enemy's Terrain confers no in-battle benefits against the user

pretty simple, yeah

Canto-but-not:

k

Pirouette - Can move 1 space after acting (trade, attack, item use)

mayyybe

Dive Shot - Can move 1 space after attacking if moved exactly 1 space before attacking with a Bow. Can't return to space you started in.

maaaaad specific and conditional just for 1 space

Acrobatics - Can move X spaces after attacking if had at least X*2 movement left when attacking with a Bow.

sounds a bit more raisinable

Tantivy - Can use remaining movement after attacking with a Bow, or half of it with other weapons.

what is your fetish with bows?

Check weapon stats?

Fervent - Hit, Avoid, CrEv are all increased by the equipped weapon's Might. Critical is increased by half of weapon's Might.

wut

?:

Replies in bold.

Cheers.

That's kind of an interesting concept. The max rank is S and the minimum is E so the max difference would be 5 although it might remove incentive to trade up to a different weapon type (eg Iron > Steel) if the bonuses outweigh the added Mt

True. Hmm.

:/

wut

... my english yesterday afternoon was so miserable

Colossal below is what I meant-- something that activates every so often, reliably at a predetermined rate; not something that is random-- but something that isn't a command skill.

wut

Checking both user and enemy's weapon for abilities and stats; messing with weapon triangle bonuses

Makes more sense if you give weapon-rank bonuses to everybody and then disable them when at triangle disadvantage, this skill does

I..see. Seems a bit much but I'll consider it

You said ideas.

I spit out everything that I had that didn't seem stupid.

wut

Same intercept ('not moving'), different effect.

I've told several people that this type of thing would be ridiculously annoying to make because staff ranges don't behave like weapon ranges

...Oh.

:C

maaaaad specific and conditional just for 1 space

1 space matters a lot in a choke, though.

It allows you to train the unit without worrying about letting them get attacked except when they attack-- you move them one space, then attack, then move them out of enemy range (if the enemy has a 2 range weapon).

what is your fetish with bows?

An attempt to replicate the two different styles of archery combined with the fact that I've never had an archer that was worth using.

wut

Check the stats of the weapon equipped then apply as passive stat gains following a formula for each stat; e.g. making weapons with more Might more valuable even if they don't necessarily have a lot of hit; and somewhat negating penalties from wielding higher weight weapons (since those tend to be heavier) without impacting the end speed thus impacting double rate. Edited by Eliwan

• 3 weeks later...

Foraging – occasionally restores a small amount of hp when unit stands on natural terrain. (skill+luck/2)%

Treasure Hunter – occasionally gain a small amount of Gold when unit stands on manmade terrain. (skill+luck/2)%

Shade – unit will not be attacked by enemies with less skill while standing on evasion boosting terrain.

Graceful Body – higher avoid with max hp.

Interesting stuff

I'm not exactly sure how to check the terrain type(I have an idea but I've never done it so it might not work but there's obviously gotta be some way to do it) but yeah they sound interesting enough to look into

• 3 months later...

I've had this one idea spinning around for a while. You know how sometimes your mounted dudes just rush the enemy soldiers (or vice versa) and they completely trash the formation? If there was a skill that had a 100% activation rate that would make it so that if a mounted unit attacked a allied unit with said skill, the allied unit gets an effective damage bonus. No matter what the weapon. I was thinking this more for soldiers/pikemen/halberdiers, whatever you call it. But yeah. Have a solid wall of infantry and watch mounted units bounce off. That'd be cool.