Something completely new...

ckc22

An incentive to keep going when a unit dies.

I'd like a Fire Emblem where character death gets their own conversations. Something like funerals, breaking the news to loved ones and whatnot. Maybe have s-rank supports stick with the character if you trigger a certain conversation.

Just something to change the whole soft reset when a unit dies thing.

None of that would stop me from resetting. In fact, it would give me even more of an incentive to reset upon losing a character.

Also, how would that work on Casual Mode?

Edited by NinjaMonkey

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

None of that would stop me from resetting. In fact, it would give me even more of an incentive to reset upon losing a character.

Also, how would that work on Casual Mode?

Well it could be an exclusive thing to Classic Mode.

I think it'd give me more incentive to not reset cause I would rather honor the sacrificeBad tactics on my part rather then ignore all that and reset. Then again, if all it was was people being sad about the person who died then I would reset. At least have them tell me to honor them by fighting or something like that.

Eh. Personal opinion.

I'd like a Fire Emblem where character death gets their own conversations. Something like funerals, breaking the news to loved ones and whatnot. Maybe have s-rank supports stick with the character if you trigger a certain conversation.

I actually kinda like that idea. Maybe even give different endings for certain criteria such as this. Wouldn't be the first time kinda like if Caeda dies in FE1 or 3 or if Skirmir dies in RD.

I'd want a story entirely shaped by the player. In Awakening, the Avatar wash't really an Avatar- he/she was an established character whose looks and name you could change. I want complete control over the Avatar's characterization.

I'd want a story entirely shaped by the player. In Awakening, the Avatar wash't really an Avatar- he/she was an established character whose looks and name you could change. I want complete control over the Avatar's characterization.

I feel like there might be a good chance of this... with the suspicion that the Lord is the avatar and the whole east v west faction debate...

I just want to see them try some new things :) - as is the purpose of my thread. I think the gaiden/ss/awakening formula allows for it more so I want to see them really capitalize on it.

Well it could be an exclusive thing to Classic Mode.

I think it'd give me more incentive to not reset cause I would rather honor the sacrificeBad tactics on my part rather then ignore all that and reset. Then again, if all it was was people being sad about the person who died then I would reset. At least have them tell me to honor them by fighting or something like that.

Eh. Personal opinion.

I reset when a unit dies because all content regarding that unit is lost when he/she dies. The better alternative is to provide new content that only occurs when the unit dies.

Some can argue that it rewards bad play, but I think it'll improve replayability. So many possible combinations of living and dead units to create a story,

More variances to the spells honestly, the AoE ones could be cool: Imagine there's one with a one turn delay but it does good damage where it lands and splash damage in a 3x3 box around it, or a flame spell that does splash damage to any nearby foes, or even a variance of Nosferatu where it saps the enemies health and then allows you to use that sapped health to heal teamates.

Also, I'd really like deaths to be acknowledged by the other characters, at the very least the S ranked companion should flip out. Small text changes depending on who's alive or dead is far from difficult and would be a real nice touch.

How would people feel about a Hardcore mode (no mission reset) which let's you unlock additional content for all play-throughs? It could unlock new items, new classes and new skills.

I feel like those things should be unlockable through playing well and not DLC.

Edited by NekoKnight

How would people feel about a Hardcore mode (no mission reset) which let's you unlock additional content for all play-throughs? It could unlock new items, new classes and new skills.

Hm, not sure, but I'm all open for content that can only be accessed with files on classic or harder difficulties.

Then people will just play Normal Hardcore to unlock the content though... However, I think a resetless/saveless mode could be interesting. That said, if players want to impose such a challenge on themselves, they can do it on both Casual and Classic anyway, so I don't think that's enough to warrant a new mode entirely.

Edited by Ryo

The game could take several pages from X-COM: Enemy Unknown. Firstly, an ironman mode that overwrote your save whenever you took an action. Secondly, as you beat EU on higher difficulties, you unlocked more gameplay modifiers for future playthroughs, which both benefits replayability and encourages players to play on harder difficulties. A system like that for FE14 would be welcome, in my opinion.

Then people will just play Normal Hardcore to unlock the content though... However, I think a resetless/saveless mode could be interesting. That said, if players want to impose such a challenge on themselves, they can do it on both Casual and Classic anyway, so I don't think that's enough to warrant a new mode entirely.

Well I don't think the mode should be too punishing. The rewards are to incentivize a mode that is more challenging, not to give a bragging rights trophy to the highest tier of player. Speedruns and Lunatic+ are for the latter kind of player.

It's true that one can do this as a self imposed challenge already, but currently there is no reward for doing so. Wouldn't it be neat if exclusive classes like Dread Fighter and Bride, and exclusive skills like Shadowgift, Conquest and Iote's Shield (made into Tellius style scrolls) were made available to those willing to put in the extra effort?

how would a mode like this be implemented? you obviously can't just stop people from resetting the game. would it just be that every turn autosaves, and you can't restart the map?

of course, even in that situation, you could always copy the data at the start of the file and restart that way. i just don't see how such a mode could be implemented.

Either way, that mode doesn't sound fun to me, so I'd be miffed about being required to play it for additional content.

how would a mode like this be implemented? you obviously can't just stop people from resetting the game. would it just be that every turn autosaves, and you can't restart the map?

of course, even in that situation, you could always copy the data at the start of the file and restart that way. i just don't see how such a mode could be implemented.

Either way, that mode doesn't sound fun to me, so I'd be miffed about being required to play it for additional content.

My idea for it would be that the game autosaves after each action and you can't restart the mission, only continue where you left off.

Some people would be miffed that additional content must be paid for with real money and can't be obtained in the game under any circumstance. Personally, I think additional rewards earned through player skill are always going to be more valid than ones gained by player wallet.

Some people would be miffed that additional content must be paid for with real money and can't be obtained in the game under any circumstance. Personally, I think additional rewards earned through player skill are always going to be more valid than ones gained by player wallet.

Clearing a map without resetting doesn't take more skill though.

My idea for it would be that the game autosaves after each action and you can't restart the mission, only continue where you left off.

If you have multiple save files, you can still bypass this. Just make a copy at the start of the map, then if things go south, delete the current save annd start over. Edited by #RR. shinpichu

Like aforementioned, ironman mode has been implemented in games like XCOM. The game simply overrides your autosave after every action you take. The player cannot manually copy save files or manually save to begin with.

With regards to this hypothetical Iron Man mode, what would happen if the Lord dies? Would your save file get nuked or would it take you the start of the current chapter? If it is the latter, than some coding would be required to keep characters dead, if they die on the same map on which the Lord dies. Otherwise, if you lose a key character, you could just let the Lord die and retry.

Also, has any FE game rewarded you for recruiting all characters in the main story?

True ironman would just nuke the save if the Lord dies.

Also technically you get ranked on doing that stuff but for being "rewarded" I don't think so.

Clearing a map without resetting doesn't take more skill though.

If you have multiple save files, you can still bypass this. Just make a copy at the start of the map, then if things go south, delete the current save annd start over.

Topazd answers your post.

Like aforementioned, ironman mode has been implemented in games like XCOM. The game simply overrides your autosave after every action you take. The player cannot manually copy save files or manually save to begin with.

I don't think that would be hard to code into the game.

As for the amount of skill to beat hardcore mode, it would require more careful planning and deciding how to proceed if people are killed. Some of it will be luck, but a lot of it will be knowledge and understanding what are acceptable risks to take.

Can anyone here relate to how much they enjoyed a 'ironman' run? I've never tried because I never let anyone die.

Edited by NekoKnight

Vehicles. Namely boats. If I'm forced into a map on water(POR and awakening, i'm looking at you), i Want to be able to move my boats! >=O maybe let mages and ballistae do damage to them as well, sinking them eventually.

Perhap the devs could implement Monte Carlo simulation based AI. Have the AI plan ahead and predict what the player will do, kind of like chess AI.

Have the AI ignore strong characters, even if they are in attack range, and attempt to minimize the distance between AI units and weak player units. This will prevent one tanky unit from being the center of attention while a bunch of weaker units just chill outside of the enemy range.

Also, I'd like to see enemies use Rescue staves at higher difficulties, for getting weakened units to safety, allowing for two 1-range units to hit the same target, etc.

One thing that FEA did improve upon is having some enemy units aggro together, occasionally making it harder to bait single units. But units that are aggroed on a map without chokepoints should go one step further and start re-arranging positions until the majority of the sub-group is in striking range before moving in.

I'd also like to see more 'show, don't tell' for the sake of new players. Let the enemy have a dancer, and have them dance a unit so that they can zerg you faster. Then have an ally point out 'Goodness gracious, their dancer is letting them gofast!' Also, a similar scenario can be made to demonstrate the importance/versatility of Rescue staves.

Edited by omega zero

I've always thought armor would be a nice way to add to the series it just feels weird for characters to never need to replace their armor (If any) after several battles or when the main lord mentions armor under the things we can buy with the gold we aquired becides It could add a degree of depth to the game

I've always thought armor would be a nice way to add to the series it just feels weird for characters to never need to replace their armor (If any) after several battles or when the main lord mentions armor under the things we can buy with the gold we aquired becides It could add a degree of depth to the game

I think armor is adequately expressed through stats but it would be cool to have equipable shields for certain classes.

life insurance, you invest x number of gold into a unit's life insurance, and if they died, you get back 4x the amount of gold you invested.

life insurance, you invest x number of gold into a unit's life insurance, and if they died, you get back 4x the amount of gold you invested.

I want to be rewarded for intentially sending out units that are bad/I don't like, on suicide missions! 8^)

But no really, more/different forms of magic with different properties would be great.

Edited by FlipFlopMist