Marriage

Marriage  

256 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think this game will have marriage?

2. 2. Do you want this game to have marriage?

3. 3. How should it be handled?

I don't think they'll actually do marriage to be honest, mostly because of the eight siblings going on...?

At the same time, it'd be a shame if they did it but only allowed you to marry side characters. I have a strong feeling that I'll only like the sibling characters, for the most part.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think they'll actually do marriage to be honest, mostly because of the eight siblings going on...?

At the same time, it'd be a shame if they did it but only allowed you to marry side characters. I have a strong feeling that I'll only like the sibling characters, for the most part.

Yes, it's a definite possibility it won't be in this game atall. Wouldn't surprise me, but I'd be upset. Helps me truly be sucked into the game for my avatar to act as a conduit and develop meaningful relationships on my behalf.

^ Okay the thing is marriage between your characters is in every game but FE9 and i think FE 1/11 and those both have sequels (fe 9 definitely seemed made with a sequel in mind not sure about fe1 though) now will it be the same formula and as omnipresent as it was in awakening, thats the thing but i think its highly likely at least one pair of units will end up marrying. (Unless they are planning on making a immediate/near immediate sequel but the split might make that weird, and i don't think they are that likely to make another split version.)

Just so long as the game doesn't base its supports around marriage, then it'll be fine, and considering most of the characters in game are the Avatar's siblings, I doubt you'll be able to marry any of them (maybe...).

Just so long as the game doesn't base its supports around marriage, then it'll be fine, and considering most of the characters in game are the Avatar's siblings, I doubt you'll be able to marry any of them (maybe...).

Not really we only have like 22 confirmed units not counting Kamui(if I counted all of them) and only 8 of them are your siblings. And there were 42 units in Awakening not counting Robin and Spotpass characters. And I doubt they are gonna cut the cast in half especially in a game that is technically three games.

The fact that we have all this information and marriage hasn't been referenced makes me think that it won't be present.

They seem eager to please the so-called "fake fans" (such as myself) that enjoyed Awakening, so I imagine it'd be a selling point, even if it took the backseat. Right?

But I dunno, they're making a lot of weird decisions with this one.

The fact that we have all this information and marriage hasn't been referenced makes me think that it won't be present.

They seem eager to please the so-called "fake fans" (such as myself) that enjoyed Awakening, so I imagine it'd be a selling point, even if it took the backseat. Right?

But I dunno, they're making a lot of weird decisions with this one.

I'm predicting S supports but no marriage. Not sure if marriage was a mechanic really, but I think when people say it they mean s supports, and I think they'll be returning. Don't have time to write why, but just a prediction.

I'd kill a man to be able to marry Marx but alas I doubt it will actually happen (also idk if I trust IS handling a relationship like that - while I'm obviously not opposed, I think it needs to be handled delicately which I'm not sure they will be able to do)

Yes I want marriage back but I'd rather save it for the epilogue. Though I do hope they at least start dating or have a confession in the S support.

And if they bring back non-romantic S supports, I hope they use a different symbol for marriage so you can know ahead of time whose paired endings will lead to marriage.

i would love to see something both A and S support endings, if that makes sense? i suppose it's a bit of a mix of the s-support endings and a-support ending system- all female-male supports don't have A-supports, some only have A.

and sure, marriage is a thing, but if two characters don't have S-support with eachother by the end of the game, but both have an A support with eachother, there's... maybe a 40, 45(?)% chance they'll get a paired ending, which allows for a lot of wiggle room in terms of the kind of ending. the A-support endings would be fxm supports, mxm supports, fxf supports.. basically, any A-support is applicable, but not all will get it, if that makes sense? because that would be a lot of endings if this game goes awakening-style supports, holy crap. plus, all endings are endgame- they get married at the end of the story, not like, smack dab in the middle of it or wherever they reached S.

like, this'll never happen, but i feel like something like this would be pretty cool to see.

I like this idea, actually. It would also deepen romances.

i mean I checked, and the old games seemed to have more than 8 characters, I feel we think these siblings are the only answer because we have only seen them on the most part. Most likely marriage will be between the other, unseen units.

I just want good support conversations, and marriage isn't a prerequisite for that. In fact, it can get in the way since at a certain point it wildly bends belief that your entire army is actively shacking up with each other in the middle of the war.

I mean, I can embrace the silliness of it, and it's easy to forgive some of the more egregiously-stretched relationships when it's in the service of a gameplay mechanic (also doesn't hurt that they're often humorous). But, I think it also comes at the cost of character depth. I mean, people tend to have pretty specific ideas or preferences when it comes to who they'd like to marry. A lot of Awakening's characters -- as much as I adore 'em -- take a hit to their characterization as a product of being malleable enough to hitch their life-wagons to literally anyone of the opposite gender. Does a disservice to their personalities and believability as living, breathing people. Gimme good conversations that would be natural for those characters to have with each other, rather than forcing them down a love route.

Characters from past FE games are served well by having specific people that they can form supports with. It makes each (okay, most) bonds meaningful and reflective of their personalities. I guess that's the route I'd like 'em to take again. Marriage can still totally happen, but where it's more of a special thing between characters it makes sense for.

Or let's go the complete opposite direction, full on chaotic silliness, and make every character able to hitch up with any other character, regardless of sexual preference and everything. Fully embrace the fanfic simulator!!!

Edited by Aekenon

I just want good support conversations, and marriage isn't a prerequisite for that. In fact, it can get in the way since at a certain point it wildly bends belief that your entire army is actively shacking up with each other in the middle of the war.

I mean, I can embrace the silliness of it, and it's easy to forgive some of the more egregiously-stretched relationships when it's in the service of a gameplay mechanic (also doesn't hurt that they're often humorous). But, I think it also comes at the cost of character depth. I mean, people tend to have pretty specific ideas or preferences when it comes to who they'd like to marry. A lot of Awakening's characters -- as much as I adore 'em -- take a hit to their characterization as a product of being malleable enough to hitch their life-wagons to literally anyone of the opposite gender. Does a disservice to their personalities and believability as living, breathing people. Gimme good conversations that would be natural for those characters to have with each other, rather than forcing them down a love route.

Characters from past FE games are served well by having specific people that they can form supports with. It makes each (okay, most) bonds meaningful and reflective of their personalities. I guess that's the route I'd like 'em to take again. Marriage can still totally happen, but where it's more of a special thing between characters it makes sense for.

Or let's go the complete opposite direction, full on chaotic silliness, and make every character able to hitch up with any other character, regardless of sexual preference and everything. Fully embrace the fanfic simulator!!!

I can't say I agree. I think Awakening's flaw in the marraige department was that the confession came too sudden when most of the time the relationship was ddeveloping at a slower pace. The support convos were actually one of my favorite parts of Awakening as I got to see how they intereacted with so many different characters. I can honestly say that afte reading all of the support conversations that I don't hate any single character (and I went in with a distaste for several of them) in Awakening due to the fact that their supports gave them so many different dimensions that I had to appreciate and understand every single one of them. Granted, not all of the supports were conducive to character development, but I beleive a vast majority of A supports revealed character growth/understanding.

However while I find love/relationships viable in the middle of the war, I agree that marriage is not. They can keep the S-supports and call themselves "partners," "companions," or what not but I don't want to hear about any actual weddings until the epilogue, unless of course it's story/mechanic relevant like in Awakening. Don't think they should do that again though so save the rings til the end slate.

Also, bolded for yes.

Well, don't get me wrong. I love all the support conversations in Awakening. I'm definitely not giving the characters enough credit, because they're all great. But somehow I think the mechanics of the game intrude on the conversations a little too often and make it seem a bit... well, mechanical. I think, yeah, it's mostly the sudden jump from A to S that bugs me at all.

More I think about it though, the more I think I'd trade it all for some hot Ryouma x Marx action. Mmmm-mm!

I can see that, especially that it happens to every single character you marry; at some point it just gets old. The A-S skip sometimes bugs me with characters I actually want to ship and that's a pretty big problem. Just have to hope if marriage returns it'll be implementted better.

More I think about it though, the more I think I'd trade it all for some hot Ryouma x Marx action. Mmmm-mm!

Nii-sama shipping otp

SAME THO

Now I`m actually kind of worried that marriage won`t be in the game. Oh well, I guess I should have seen it coming, given that most characters that have been talked about are your family (blood related or adopted). I can still hope, at least end game marriage. All I can do for now is wait (fingers crossed).

Marriage not being an option doesn't mean there is no ROMANCE

Sheesh people!

Don't forget the so called "Marriage" in FEA is simply a romantic confession (with the next-fen gimmick attached). Just because no MARRIAGE doesn't mean NO LOVE. Just because no MARRIAGE doesn't mean no ROMANTIC CONFESSION.

Keep this in mind ok? :D

This has the potential to open up much better romance dialogue/bonding dialogue because now S ranks don't have to end in a linear fashion --> marriage

Edited by HeartTranquil

Marriage not being an option doesn't mean there is no ROMANCE

Sheesh people!

Don't forget the so called "Marriage" in FEA is simply a romantic confession (with the next-fen gimmick attached). Just because no MARRIAGE doesn't mean NO LOVE. Just because no MARRIAGE doesn't mean no ROMANTIC CONFESSION.

Keep this in mind ok? :D

This has the potential to open up much better romance dialogue/bonding dialogue because now S ranks don't have to end in a linear fashion --> marriage

That`s true, we`re not saying that there won`t be any love conffesions. In fact, I would personaly love to see what they could do with supports in this fasion. We`re simply refering to how there will most likely be no marriage. Again, I would love to see how they could do supports without it ending in marriage (maybe save the marriage for the endgame), but all we can do for now is wait.

I don't really see the point of having marriage in the credit, the whole point of marriage is seeing the units interacting with their spouses in the game. It extremely not satisfying if all we get is some sentence saying "these two got married... blablabla" and nothing else.

FEA's problem is romantic supports always end in marriage. It is linear. It is predictable. It is restrictive. And it is boring!

Broship, platonic friendships, and the romantic fluffy sparkly long-lasting romantic confessions are the best!

I have high hopes for romance this time. Because the writers aren't restricted to shoehorning every romantic confession to marriage.

I'm sure all of u guys agree with me here :)

I don't really see the point of having marriage in the credit, the whole point of marriage is seeing the units interacting with their spouses in the game. It extremely not satisfying if all we get is some sentence saying "these two got married... blablabla" and nothing else.

They can still interact in-game with normal romantic relationship.