What I hope won't happen in if's narrative.

Saladus

...And that's why it's best to withhold judgment until you have enough information.

Der Langrisser was a port of a game that didn't have any alternate paths at all, and it showed. Hopefully FE14, having been designed with a choice in mind will be more nuanced and keep the protagonist's personality consistent.

Nobody withholds judgment. It's human nature. Everybody has a first impression, whether it's positive or negative. The important thing is that you're willing to correct those impressions when new information becomes available.

Der Langrisser is not a port in any sense of the term.

I never said Der Langrisser was entirely original. I said it wasn't a port.

The graphics and sound have been totally overhauled. The game engine is brand new. The story of Langrisser II is now one of four possible paths. At worst, you could call Der Langrisser "a really buffed-up remake." But port? Nah.

I'd want the Nohr path to be that you beat and occupy Hoshido, then overthrow Garon, and then, when Marx is Emperor, a Hoshido revolt breaks out, and you have the option of crushing it or giving them independence. I want to be a benevolent conqueror, dammit!

A buffed-up remake is a port in some sense of the term, isn't it?

Since we've been arguing over etymology, I'll assume you agree the split was sloppily done.

Edited by Baldrick