Infinite Weapon Durability

boboliontamer

3) It could be a ultra easy game setting or part of the optional "casual mode" if there is one in this game.

Even though I don't think this is a favourable scenario (it'd stray even further from the real FE experience than the regular Casual mode), I hope that's the case here as opposed to removing durability entirely. One of the major assets of FE is the streamlined nature, but weapon durability is something I really don't see the games function properly without nor do I consider it something that should be removed in the name of streamlining.

Edited by Topazd

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That blue is just part of the string ornament on the handle of the sword if you look carefully.

The string doesn't go across the entire bottom, and that doesn't explain screenshots like the one I linked, where it's a blue box (it's weakness color) and a red line at the bottom (It's strength color) and it's going against a sword, which is red-green...and has been in every screenshot

That blue is just part of the string ornament on the handle of the sword if you look carefully.

Actually, it looks like those are two different shades of blue.

and the blue stripe in under the mace is the same as the stripe under the bow in the other screenshot with the thief.

Clearly it's a safeguard against breaking enemy weapons to feed easy EXP to chumps on Lunatic difficulties. :Kappa:

Edited by Irysa

Even though I don't think this is a favourable scenario (it'd stray even further from the real FE experience than the regular Casual mode), I hope that's the case here as opposed to removing durability entirely. One of the major assets of FE is the streamlined nature, but weapon durability is something I really don't see the games function properly without nor do I consider it something that should be removed in the name of streamlining.

Perhaps the game was kept exactly the same as before, but removing durability doesn't appear to be the only change to the weapon system this time around. For example what's typically the weakest iron weapon(swords) appears to have 8 might now, there are more weapon types(maces) and magic could have changed a bit.

They weren't afraid to modify whole classes(Thief's becoming bow locked units) and mechanics(pair up, giving enemies dual attacks) so I wouldn't be surprised if the weapon system has received an overhaul and removing durability is just one part of it.

Edited by arvilino

imo the bigger implications are with Staves and such.

Yeah, trying to figure that one out... infinite rescue or something would be silly. (If the game had status staves, berserk would be nuts)

Could also be that like how Alfred Kamon wanted to negate boss abuse, the game designers made enemies have unlimited use weapons so you can't abuse their stats.

FE4 also did this.

Edited by L95

For all we know the weapon durability isn't there because the game isn't quite complete yet

I dunno, seems like pretty late in the game to be lacking a fundamental mechanic like durability if they plan on having it.

Perhaps the game was kept exactly the same as before, but removing durability doesn't appear to be the only change to the weapon system this time around. For example what's typically the weakest iron weapon(swords) appears to have 8 might now, there are more weapon types(maces) and magic could have changed a bit.

They weren't afraid to modify whole classes(Thief's becoming bow locked units) and mechanics(pair up, giving enemies dual attacks) so I wouldn't be surprised if the weapon system has received an overhaul and removing durability is just one part of it.

Well, true. If that's the case, I'm still a bit skeptical but eager to see the exact means they aim to compensate the absence of such values with. Though I'm still as bitter as ever about the fact that they had to remove weapon weight in the first place, so this might be something I'm never going to be completely fine with in any scenario, haha.

So there is durability but there's only visual feedback now?

Is that intelligent systems trying to make the game harder, because it's not working, it only makes everything more tedious, making you keep track of the times a weapon was used.

Now, this could all be wrong, of course, or if it's right, they might still change it.

So there is durability but there's only visual feedback now?

Is that intelligent systems trying to make the game harder, because it's not working, it only makes everything more tedious, making you keep track of the times a weapon was used.

Now, this could all be wrong, of course, or if it's right, they might still change it.

Highly doubt it's there at all. The colors of the box being the weapon triangle makes more sense, given how consistent they've been in the directs when you actually look deep enough, and nothing contradicts it. It's also simpler than making a brand new triangle for three brand new weapon types. Either the durability system was indeed removed, or it's not implemented into the games current build yet.

Edited by Ryan50

Actually, it looks like those are two different shades of blue.

and the blue stripe in under the mace is the same as the stripe under the bow in the other screenshot with the thief.

Oh, I didn't see your post. If there no more durability then there is no durability.

Huh.... So basically, no more durability -> No more need to buy weapon ? That's strange, knowing it is FE's essence, isn't it ?

But if you look at the "trailer 1" again, you'll see that there always is two shades indeed :

-Kazahana has Red (lot)/Green (few) with a sword Same for the cavalier Hinoka fights later

-Hinoka has Blue (lot) / Red (few) with a lance

-The "Thief" has Green (lot) / Blue (few) with a bow

If your theory is right, then :

-Axes will be like Bows (are more accurately Bows became like axes), meaning, both are weak to swords but strong againt lances (poor pegasus knights)

-If there is Magic trinity(-ies), either there is another set of colors (like yellow magenta, cyan) or weapons and tomes will have "crossed advantages" ? That would be a huge mess ! But if it's leading that way, I fear for the light magic not to return, or it will be awful like having 1 triangle, 2 trinities and having them cross...

-The -Reaver weapons may come back and reverse the colors as well ?

-What about staves ? Dragonstones ? New magic weapons like those fans and the fire bar ?

Well, those are just hasty conclusions of my jumpy mind... Not any of those is based on actual facts so... ^^'

Edited by Luxian

From what we heard. Bows have weapon advantage against everything at 2 range and disadvantage at 1 range.

We'd need gameplay footage to actually prove that. I doubt that's the case though, as the single image involving a bow being weak to swords also follows the color system.

I think the colors are more likely to represent weapon triangle advantage than durability. Note that there is also blue.

if they represent triangle advantage why would a bow appear green when its shown to have a weapon disadvantage?

Why would weapon effectiveness appear in a status screen out of combat? (as is the Kumui status screen)

I suspect green/Blue-shows weapon is full durability. note the green blue transition is a gradient (similar to high HP units in Awakening)where as the green red transition is instead a very clear cut off

nore importantly weapon effectiveness is shown to use a standard arrow which is clearly independent of the colors shown in the background the image posted here is a perfect example

http://serenesforest.../01/Jan_006.jpg

here we can see the nemeses weapon has a blue /green gradient where as the player character has a mostly red background w/ only a small amount of green. The players character has weapon effectiveness over their enemy which pretty much eliminates the theory that the color shown is related to weapon effectiveness

the red/green ratio due to the clear cut off appears to give an estimation to how many uses the weapon has. I do not know why they have changed it but there is no doubt to me that the weapons do not have infinite usage

if they represent triangle advantage why would a bow appear green when its shown to have a weapon disadvantage?

Why would weapon effectiveness appear in a status screen out of combat? (as is the Kumui status screen)

The background color isn't indicating whether the weapon is currently receiving an advantage or disadvantage.

Red background doesn't mean disadvantage. Green background doesn't mean advantage.

The large colored portion indicates the weapon's type within the color triangle (red, green, blue)

The small colored portion indicates what type the weapon has an advantage against (red > green > blue > red)

http://serenesforest.../01/Jan_006.jpg

here we can see the nemeses weapon has a blue /green gradient where as the player character has a mostly red background w/ only a small amount of green. The players character has weapon effectiveness over their enemy which pretty much eliminates the theory that the color shown is related to weapon effectiveness

Actually, that proves color is the triangle in a weakness-strength pattern. So far the bottom color has always matched the larger color of the person your attacking whenever there's been an advantage. If you actually go and look through each pic, swords are red-green, red being weakness, green being strength, bow is green-blue, and the naginata shown in the January direct was Blue-red, getting an advantage on a sword which is once again, red-green.

EDIT: Aaand I get ninja'd by simple yet effective explanation. Ahh well, it further concreates what I've been pointing out XD

Edited by Ryan50

Actually, that proves color is the triangle in a weakness-strength pattern. So far the bottom color has always matched the larger color of the person your attacking whenever there's been an advantage. If you actually go and look through each pic, swords are red-green, red being weakness, green being strength, bow is green-blue, and the naginata shown in the January direct was Blue-red, getting an advantage on a sword which is once again, red-green.

So does this mean some weapons may be of different color? Like the reavers in the GBA era FE's? In a sense

Edited by Jedi

So does this mean some weapons may be of different color? Like the reavers in the GBA era FE's? In a sense

It's possible. We have only seen standard weapons so far, so I wouldn't rule it out, but I wouldn't get too hopeful on them making an appearance either, don't want to be let down if they don't make an appearance afterall.

Edited by Ryan50