I hope to God this new Fire Emblem isn't "KAWAII-DESU >W<"

Hotdogmaniac

I can see how Camilla can be the fawning type… but why Hinoka?

The first time we're 'introduced' to Hinoka she basically fawns all over the avatar telling him how much she's missed him.

The problem with them being pre-rendered cutscenes is that they'll have to switch out "onii-chan" with "onee-chan" in every instances this is brought up depending on the Avatar's gender.

I don't think this will really be an issue for them though. The localisation will probably just come out with some generic word like 'please' or something.

Overall, I think the 'kawaii-desu' might be refreshing at times as this game looks like it may take a dark turn. I wouldn't mind something like Genealogy again...

Hmmm, I think if Nintendo remade Genealogy, everyone would go banana crazy and stack those pre orders like there was no tomorrow. Just add in some real good character development, some more events and a more paced out story and fans would drop over, I know I would.

As for the rest on this, I don't think we have to worry guys. The waifu fest of Awakening shouldn't strike as hard as it did this time around.

I don't think this should change, Heart. Usually sisters loves you, no?

Anyway, I don't think the game will be a "kawai-fest". But we still don't have the game, who knows?

But that was with the female Avatar...

Fastforward to 1:09 in the trailer. It's definitely Mamui. Hinoka is probably gonna do this regardless of gender though, but still. And if IS has gotten a grip on their waifu shenanigans, Hinoka won't be waifu material either way because she'syoursister. By blood. unfortunately

Fastforward to 1:09 in the trailer. It's definitely Mamui. Hinoka is probably gonna do this regardless of gender though, but still. And if IS has gotten a grip on their waifu shenanigans, Hinoka won't be waifu material either way because she'syoursister. By blood. unfortunately

That is male Avatar at 1:09? The hair is female though… you sure about this? Look at avatar's hair at 1:09, theres like "ribbons" on the avatar's hair? Or am having viewing troubles lol...

Edited by HeartTranquil

That is male Avatar at 1:09? The hair is female though… you sure about this? Look at avatar's hair at 1:09, theres like "ribbons" on the avatar's hair? Or am having viewing troubles lol...

Those aren't ribbons. That's his hair-spike texture.

I can see how Camilla can be the fawning type… but why Hinoka?

… and what do you mean by "love and be silent type…?"

It's a line from the play King Lear and refers to the youngest daughter, Cordelia (where the Awakening character gets her name) whose attitude towards her father is that their bond is the proof of her love and she doesn't need to voice it to him unlike her elder sisters who pay lip service to the fact but don't really mean it. What I mean by that is, Sakura seems the type that is more reserved about expressing her feelings compared to Drillz. That she refers to Kamui as "Lord Brother" speaks a lot towards an attitude of respect over open affection.

Edited by NekoKnight

I won't give an opinion on the Japanese writing as I'm not familiar enough with the language or how it's used in past games to say what is or isn't appropriate for FE (though I'm inclined to think onii-chan isn't a big deal)...

But as far as the localization, I do hope it's less "colloquial" than Awakening, if that makes sense... I just felt like the writing was a little closer to how we speak now and was missing some of that FE spark like people calling each other craven curs and well met.

I won't give an opinion on the Japanese writing as I'm not familiar enough with the language or how it's used in past games to say what is or isn't appropriate for FE (though I'm inclined to think onii-chan isn't a big deal)...

But as far as the localization, I do hope it's less "colloquial" than Awakening, if that makes sense... I just felt like the writing was a little closer to how we speak now and was missing some of that FE spark like people calling each other craven curs and well met.

Well it was 2000 years past marths era. Maybe they spent their time evolving their language instead of making gunpowder, better weapons, paved roads, stonger magic,ect.

If anything, they would have needed to spend 2000 years focusing on making sure their language did not change. 1200 year old English is entirely different from Modern English to the point of mutual incomprehensibility, never mind 2000 year old Proto-Germanic. Also, everyone on two continents speaks the exact same language. So I think we have to accept a certain level of abstraction on the language side of things and chalk it up to writing style.

More than "kawaii desu" would be the implementation of moe characteristics (Sumia's constant tripping without any real cause, for instance). That is what is more likely to attract the crowd that then facilitates the corruption of "oniichan" and all that comes with it in both East and West.

So it would likely be hard to speculate based on that trailer alone. The game is not too far off now, however.

Edited by Kirokan

It'd be funny if this turned out to be a situation like Clannad or Higurashi where you have a depressing or horrifying story happening to characters who are designed in a cute way.

Once I heard the "Onii-Chan" in the new Fire Emblem trailer, I knew we were gonna be in for one helluva ride. Course, it may just be in the Japanese titles, but I hate to think that something "kawaii" like Onii-Chan could penetrate a serious Fire Emblem game.

"Onii-Chan!" has been in the series from the very beginning. Tiki calls Marth Onii-Chan in the first fire emblem game, its sequel, and both remakes.

"Onii-Chan!" has been in the series from the very beginning. Tiki calls Marth Onii-Chan in the first fire emblem game, its sequel, and both remakes.

She also accidentally calls Robin/Reflet "Onii-chan" in one of her support conversations with him in Awakening (Japanese voice acting).

Even if the game does end up "kawaii desu", it's a safe assumption that it'll get un-kawaii'd once it's localised. Nowi going from a generic squeaky-voiced loli to the more mature 'only acts childish to raise everyone's spirits' in particular attests to the skill of the localisation team, I feel.