Yatogami

Ambulz

• 2 weeks later...

personally, i feel like yatogami's going to be more along the lines of reginlief, mani katti, wolf beil, and similar weapons- character specific (obviously) w/ limited uses. i don't know why limited uses, but it seems like it may be a thing. it may offer stat bonuses as well (i.e. str/res +2, def. +5), but i doubt it, considering it seems to be there from the get-go.

edit: on top of that, this isn't PoR/ RD-- it's likely that kamui doesn't think twice about using a weapon, due to world differences- pride may not be an issue for them, and they use it simply because it's what they grew up using, and it's a practical advantage to using both?

Edited by falcoknights

Maybe having both a sword and a dragonstone shows that he is from both countries from a game mechanics perspective. Like, the sword could be a sacred weapon from Nohr while the Dragon stone could be linked to his bloodline in Hosido (am I remembering the kingdom names right?) It could serve to show that he has aspects as a unit that are derived from both sides.

Maybe having both a sword and a dragonstone shows that he is from both countries from a game mechanics perspective. Like, the sword could be a sacred weapon from Nohr while the Dragon stone could be linked to his bloodline in Hosido (am I remembering the kingdom names right?) It could serve to show that he has aspects as a unit that are derived from both sides.

But the Yatogami has a Japanese name and is classified as a Katana [spoiler=swords and katanas have a different icon]

hoshido4.jpg

Admittedly, it doesn't look like a katana but it would still be weird to be a Nohrian sword.

Has anyone read the supposed translation of Aqua's song yet? I'm assuming a few of you have since it was apparently brought up here before. I thought it was interesting how specifically she mentions that the hero (most likely kamui) will wield a golden sword.

https://kantopia.wordpress.com/2015/04/06/fire-emblem-if-dancers-song-translation/

Has anyone read the supposed translation of Aqua's song yet? I'm assuming a few of you have since it was apparently brought up here before. I thought it was interesting how specifically she mentions that the hero (most likely kamui) will wield a golden sword.

https://kantopia.wordpress.com/2015/04/06/fire-emblem-if-dancers-song-translation/

Dang, if that's not a beautiful song, I don't know what is.

Have we had it confirmed anywhere (by furigana or pronunciation) that it's "Yatougami" and not "Yatoushin/Yatoujin"?

Edited by Aethin

夜刀神 is always read as "yatogami", as far as I'm aware. In fact, "yatogami" is merely a shortened term for "yato no kami" (夜刀の神), which are recurring deities in Japanese lore.

The Yato-no-kami (夜刀の神, "gods of the night-sword") are snake deities in Japanese folklore appearing in the Hitachi No Kuni Fudoki. They lived in Namegata county, in fields near the government office. They were rumored to bring familial extermination on anyone who saw them. Eventually, they were killed by a man clearing the fields, enshrined, and banished to the mountains.

(via Wikipedia)

I've bolded two phrases from that excerpt that eerily resemble a certain lord's tale thus far.

• Dragons are frequently portrayed with traits akin to serpents, or snakes.
  • The focal point of the game is deciding which family you betray.

Given that politics/governmental affairs are also heavily touched upon with the war between the two nations and the reformation of Nohr, there could potentially be some significant symbolism -- or even foreshadowing -- hiding behind this weapon.

Edited by sforzur

夜刀神 is always read as "yatogami", as far as I'm aware. In fact, "yatogami" is merely a shortened term for "yato no kami" (夜刀の神), which are recurring deities in Japanese lore.

I've bolded two phrases from that excerpt that eerily resemble a certain lord's tale thus far.

• Dragons are frequently portrayed with traits akin to serpents, or snakes.
  • The focal point of the game is deciding which family you betray.

Given that politics/governmental affairs are also heavily touched upon with the war between the two nations and the reformation of Nohr, there could potentially be some significant symbolism -- or even foreshadowing -- hiding behind this weapon.

You'd think Kamui's dragon form would be more serpentine and less... deer-y if they wanted to create a solid parallel. For an alleged good guy, he's got a pretty evil sounding sword.

You'd think Kamui's dragon form would be more serpentine and less... deer-y if they wanted to create a solid parallel. For an alleged good guy, he's got a pretty evil sounding sword.

m-night.jpg

In all seriousness though, that does sound rather ominous. The Japanese seem to have mythology for everything, at least everything that could make for good plot points in video games.

Given the Japanese name, can we assume it's of Hoshido origin?

m-night.jpg

In all seriousness though, that does sound rather ominous. The Japanese seem to have mythology for everything, at least everything that could make for good plot points in video games.

Given the Japanese name, can we assume it's of Hoshido origin?

I'm all for interesting weapon designs but it's really weird for a sword belonging to not!Japan. A golden broadsword with a vajra for the hilt.... Not really feeling the "east Asia".

Kamui chokes Dancina at some point in the game. Perhaps the sword itself influenced him to. Or maybe Dancina is just into BDSM

[spoiler=What a twist!] m-night.jpg

Edited by NekoKnight

I'm all for interesting weapon designs but it's really weird for a sword belonging to not!Japan. A golden broadsword with a vajra for the hilt.... Not really feeling the "east Asia".

Kamui chokes Dancina at some point in the game. Perhaps the sword itself influenced him to. Or maybe Dancina is just into BDSM

I'm gonna be "that guy" and say that I feel the same way about their hair colors, among many other things. Overdesigned weapons pretty much scream "Japan" to me, so maybe that's why I don't really think about it. But who knows, maybe the Roman Nohr also name their swords in Japanese because reasons.

While it's indeed common in stories - most certainly because it appeals to a lot of people's sexual desires and fantasies - that beautiful prudes are completely crazy in bed, I get the feeling that Dancina would wear the pants in their relationship, but maybe that's just because male Kamui looks like such a wimp.

I wonder if the choking scene is featured in both routes. Something worth noting while we're on the subject of Yatogami is that the dragon choken her is golden, just like the sword, so maybe there's a connection. However, do we really need a sword to play such a big role in the story again? At the very least they could focus on her lance, instead.

Something worth noting while we're on the subject of Yatogami is that the dragon choken her is golden, just like the sword, so maybe there's a connection.

Wha-? It's anything but golden:

dragon-dancer.jpg

Wha-? It's anything but golden:

dragon-dancer.jpg

Hm, now that I'm looking through the trailer again, perhaps the part where the skin cracks up is part of the transformation. However, whatever it is, the figure becomes golden later on.

However, do we really need a sword to play such a big role in the story again? At the very least they could focus on her lance, instead.

I'd be totally okay with the sword having some spiritual properties but no greater story importance, such as the Mani Katti. Why does only Lyn get a Katana?

Wouldn't it be neat if the sword "leveled up" along with your weapon rank? A higher rank would increase the might and maybe at S rank, you'd get access to a Ragnell-like shockwave attack.

I'd be totally okay with the sword having some spiritual properties but no greater story importance, such as the Mani Katti. Why does only Lyn get a Katana?

Wouldn't it be neat if the sword "leveled up" along with your weapon rank? A higher rank would increase the might and maybe at S rank, you'd get access to a Ragnell-like shockwave attack.

That'd be sweet; I was always bothered by Chrom's Falchion only having five power until its upgrade.

I love this idea. And what if there were like, special properties you could imbue the sword with at armories?

Curse you, self! Why did you not think to Google it?

Well, I took a look at the Japanese wiki page, and in case people are interested, it says (among other stuff):

• 夜刀神 is read as yato no kami (or yatsu no kami); the no just isn't usually written because Old Japanese writing often omits particles. Worth noting are that:
    • I was wrong about the o in yato being long, and
    • it's kami, not gami.
  • 夜刀 (yato) is ateji, standing for the word for "valley" in the old Kanto dialect (cf. the nanori reading for 谷, and Wikipedia 谷戸).

I guess the last point probably isn't important, but I thought it was interesting.

Good finds! The hill part is interesting and actually relates to the original fable. When the man divided the land -- declaring everything beneath the mountains the area where he and his fellow humans would cultivate rice -- he recognized yato-no-kami as the gods of the land. Other sources point out that 夜刀 ("yato", "yatsu") is derived from 谷地 ("yachi"; swamp), 谷津 ("yatsu"; the bottom of a hill), and 谷頭 ("yato"; the head of a valley).

However, it's yato-no-kami and yatsu-no-kami, yet yatogami, just as how the god of death is called shinigami instead of shinikami (the phonetics just roll better on the tongue).

On a slightly less folklore-oriented note, yato-no-kami is actually amongst the many demons in the Megami Tensei franchise -- most of which are derived from various gods -- and its form from Soul Hackers resembles Kamui's transformation quite a bit.

x7iUgNy.png

• Lavender hues
  • Metallic, tiered scales
  • A long horn jutting from its head
  • Mouth/teeth? (The graphics are too low quality to tell what's going on there.)