How were you supposed to know to get Stefan?

Well, nobody actually said that you said that. :tangerineisthedevil: . But you sort of quoted me on the entire "Stefan is decent" thing saying Adept sucks. Or something. Anywho, I was speaking of this hypothetical situation in which one would not be wanting to use / train Zihark or the Mia, but perhaps still wanting a decent swordmaster. Stefan could fill that need where usually pre-promotes would be better left alone.

Your post said a bunch of things, and I was just responding to the bit about Astra. Sure I could have been more clear about that, but I have no idea why you would think I'm saying Stefan is bad as a unit overall, just because I said there are better skills to have.

Well, that is not really a fact, more a matter of personal taste. I think it is not that bad of a skill for a swordmaster to have. When double attacking, with decent skill - something Stefan is likely to cap - the chance of it activating once per battle is over 50%. This turns almost every sword into a quarter brave weapon. More attacks is more crits, too.

I just don't see the point in clarifying everything I say is my opinion and not a fact, since that should go without saying.

But anyway, any unit who has to rely on Astra's 5 hits and possible criticals is pretty mediocre, especially when the majority of units in Path of Radiance should be able to ORKO everything; especially the mounts. And those units don't unnecessarily burn their weapon durability.

Meant Astra in my last post. Bad Spikey posting drunk again.

Your post said a bunch of things, and I was just responding to the bit about Astra. Sure I could have been more clear about that, but I have no idea why you would think I'm saying Stefan is bad as a unit overall, just because I said there are better skills to have.

Maybe because you specifically said "Zihark's adept". What I don't see is what "Zihark's not Soren's adept" has got to do with a case where you are not using Zihark at all.

Well, excuse me all to blazes, I never did assume that at all. Just making sure that you weren't. Now if you don't mind, I have some trolling to do far from the forest.

How were people suppose to know how to recruit Yuffie and Vincent in Final Fantasy 7? Experiment and look at everything on the map. Although Stefan isn't as bad as Yuffie to find.

He's definitely worse. Yuffie and Vincent are shown in the manual. Yuffie attacks you in forests randomly, and the numbers near cosmo canyon are skewed so stupidly high in her favor that you're bound to run into her when walking through there. When you do, she steals your money which makes you want to beat the crap out of her to get it back. Vincent you get for solving a puzzle. Neither are anywhere close to Stefan. You don't know he exists at all, so you aren't even able to keep your eyes peeled for him. I definitely remember getting both on my first playthrough as a kid.

How were people suppose to know how to recruit Yuffie and Vincent in Final Fantasy 7? Experiment and look at everything on the map. Although Stefan isn't as bad as Yuffie to find.

Besides the things which Augestein already said, with which I happen to agree, Stefan is also missable.

Edited by Severlan

Being able to chip laguz with fire makes him okayish enough. I only used him once because Soren died.

There's one chapter where that might be useful. Bastian is terrible.

• 2 weeks later...

In the first place, I didn't even knew the fact that he existed, until I visited the "recruitment" page of SF... ><

• 2 weeks later...

Hearkening back to a certain outrealm Great Knight's advice, you essentially pick a god and pray.

That is, if you didn't have a guide. I knew to recruit Stefan because Nintendo Power had a section explicitly describing how to do so.