So even before details of the game is talked about - DLC is announced?

HeartTranquil

One time is an oversight. Twice is a mistake. 3+ times is poor preparation/management. We're talking about the fourth wave of releases at this point.

Nobody said Nintendo would be able to fix this really quickly. They can also only make so many figures in a timeframe. At this point, I'm beginning to think that they don't want there to be huge gaps between wave releases.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Where I live, Alabama BTW, a common practice taken by companies like Verizon is to limit their customers to a maximum of say 10 Gigabytes worth of internet usage a month, otherwise said customer will be billed overage charges.

This fact practically kills downloaded games or DLC due to practically having to pay for said DLC or game twice.

That's bizarre. From what I know about most broadband companies most of them have limits to 250-300gbs of data and I believe all of them are not in actual effect.

Unless you're using something like phone dataplans to download game dlc.

That's bizarre. From what I know about most broadband companies most of them have limits to 250-300gbs of data and I believe all of them are not in actual effect.

Unless you're using something like phone dataplans to download game dlc.

Phone dataplans are ALL we get out here in the sticks.

It's insulting, but it's all we get, it sucks, but I've learned to deal with it.

I do wonder how they'll decide to release this content outside of Japan. I think it's pretty unlikely that the Cipher TCG game will be released internationally. Linking them to amiibo would be a decent plan (if, indeed, Lucina is going to get a boosted production like Marth is, and/or if they are also going to be available via amiibo cards), but that wouldn't work for PK Minerva, so some kind of direct DLC is perhaps more likely, or maybe even both (you can use the amiibo or buy it separately if you don't have/want the amiibo).

Amiibo are a bad method of unlocking DLC for a variety of reasons.

1. It's fixed price DLC for an uncertain amount of content. If it's from a popular series like Mario or Zelda, you are certain to be making back your investment but for the more fringe titles like Fire Emblem, that's a big leap of faith.

2. It's decentralized. I like Pokemon but I only play the main series titles. It won't matter to me if the Amiibo unlocks a TON of content over many games if I don't want to play those games. Let's talk about Fire Emblem. Say that I want get Robin in FE14? Okay, I will buy his Amiibo. $13. What if I want Lucina, Ike and Marth as well? That's 3 more Amiibos raising the total to $52...just to get 4 characters.

3. There is poor availability. Nintendo has time and time again failed to reach the level of demand and a lot of people can't even get the ones they want. You know who has access to normal DLC? ANYONE with a internet connection, at any time.

As ckc22 mentioned, a lot of these things could be overcome by allowing a traditional DLC method for the same content.

1. It's fixed price DLC for an uncertain amount of content. If it's from a popular series like Mario or Zelda, you are certain to be making back your investment but for the more fringe titles like Fire Emblem, that's a big leap of faith.

2. It's decentralized. I like Pokemon but I only play the main series titles. It won't matter to me if the Amiibo unlocks a TON of content over many games if I don't want to play those games. Let's talk about Fire Emblem. Say that I want get Robin in FE14? Okay, I will buy his Amiibo. $13. What if I want Lucina, Ike and Marth as well? That's 3 more Amiibos raising the total to $52...just to get 4 characters.

3. There is poor availability. Nintendo has time and time again failed to reach the level of demand and a lot of people can't even get the ones they want. You know who has access to normal DLC? ANYONE with a internet connection, at any time.

As ckc22 mentioned, a lot of these things could be overcome by allowing a traditional DLC method for the same content.

I've already explained why Amiibos are a better way of distributing DLC at least where I live, and I stand by my claim that Amiibos and their content are cheaper overall here in the sticks, and due to limited usage, normal DLC is NOT always availible to dispite having a internet connection.

I've already explained why Amiibos are a better way of distributing DLC at least where I live, and I stand by my claim that Amiibos and their content are cheaper overall here in the sticks, and due to limited usage, normal DLC is NOT always availible to dispite having a internet connection.

With respect towards your limitations, you probably represent a minority of the total people playing these games. The only part of my argument that doesn't apply to you is normal DLC being easy to access.

I wonder if the Lucina,Marth and whoever else you unlock have the same use that the spotpass characters had in Awakening(to replace killed units).Thats something Awakening had for FREE.I know there was DLC but it just offered the same characters with 1 special skill.Maybe we get free versions and paid special versions again?

Edited by JayTheKing

This WHile some people seem to be restricted with normal DLC do to poor distributions this is a rip off of content for a small subset of the population. Even worse is not only are these "DLC" a rip off but they come pre-included with the respective game meaning they are actually day one DLC which is an abomination that must be smited from the face of the world.

As much as am a fan of FE I may have to avoid buying If due to my ethical laws... (If a game includes a significant amount of blatant anti consumer practices such as day one DLC I will not buy it no matter how much I like that series. More people need to respond in kind with similar boycotts or we are effectively selling our rights as human beings)

Edited by Dragrath

You're exaggerating the significance of this issue to describe in terms of "rights as human beings", i.e., human rights.

It might be a consumer rights issue, but its not even remotely comparable to basic "human rights".

Games are a non-essential luxury.

I'm not a fan of the amiibo practices either; I view them as overpriced, inconvenient, and awkward and ponderous.

Now, I've gotten plenty of DLCs in the past, and although I find it disappointing my objection to things like Day 1 DLC aren't as heated as some other's objections will be, but amiibos worsen the problem by adding in further inconvenience steps and hassles.

They're a form of Day 1 DLC that I thus object to far more than normal. Normally Day 1 doesn't bother me THAT much as long as the base game is still fun, playable, and has a good amount of content such that I feel that I got a reasonable valuable for money and that the DLC wasn't needed to enjoy the game… then I might consider the DLC later on if I regard it as reasonably priced. But, in addition to my previously mentioned points, adding on the hassle of tracking down amiibos that I've read about others going through [supply issues, scalping, etc.] and its just too much for my tastes, which is why I refuse to take part in that form of DLC.

But still, its a consumer issue pertaining to a luxury good. Its not remotely a "rights as human beings" issue. Try to keep things in perspective.

I thought the Fire Emblem Awakening DLC to be pretty fair. You got the complete storyline in the main game. While I didn't feel the first wave DLCs (the map + einherjar ones) were worth the asking cost, they were entirely separate from the main game. The second wave was obviously things that was made after the game was released. They mostly were related to the main game (tons of dialogs, future's despair, ect) but they were still very much separate. I found them to be far more a "gift" (that you pay for) for those who loved the game than something that was stripped from the game.

I assume these DLCs are for einherjar-level characters: They are usable as a unit but have no story relevance at all. Not having them takes nothing away from the main game, so I'm fine with them. If it was something like: "You can only play Orochi in the game if you buy this pack of cards" (even though I'll very likely be buying some) then I'd be annoyed, as it is a character from the story that's stripped away.

Regarding Amiibos, I like the concept but as a Codename STEAM player, I have to say that the supply issue is definitively problematic. For those not informed, Codename STEAM has a total of 13 characters, and also have Ike, Marth, Robin and Lucina unlockable via Amiibo. The thing is, each of the Amiibos have unique weapons, skills, stats and abilities. They play differently from all the regular characters and some are "non-replaceable": For example, Marth is the only "immune to overwatch" character in the game. While Marth is not very good overall, he can be useful on maps where the enemy force consists mainly of enemies setup in overwatch mode. Not having access to these four Amiibo / DLC characters removes some tactical options offered to the player. From a developer's standpoint, it probably is not optimal either: about 25% of the skill set and unique characters are not available to the vast majority of players so it's a lot of development time spent on something that very few players are able to experience due to the Amiibo shortage. If they were regular DLC, anyone that wanted the characters in the game could simply purchase it and play with them minutes afterward.

I agree that Amiibos have some positives going for them: For 12$, they don't look half-bad. They are pretty good value for more popular Amiibos (For 12$ you get a figurine and a lot of dlcs with more coming in the future). For less popular games you get a figurine for 12$ and little else but it can still be good value depending on the person. However, until the supply situation is fixed and that they are actually available at their advertised price, I'd say that games that heavily feature amiibo support are disadvantageous.

Edited by Ayra

I wonder if the Lucina,Marth and whoever else you unlock have the same use that the spotpass characters had in Awakening(to replace killed units).Thats something Awakening had for FREE.I know there was DLC but it just offered the same characters with 1 special skill.Maybe we get free versions and paid special versions again?

These seem to be specifically alternate versions of the characters. It's "Prince of Altea" Marth (rather than the later King version), "Masked Marth" Lucina and "Pegasus Knight" Minerva (which is TCG exclusive). Specifically in Lucina's case, I really doubt the only version of her added would be the one pretending to be Marth and wearing a mask.

Anyway, they don't seem to come with a stage, considering the description about a download code to get them, so I hope this means the DLC characters will be closer to the actual main cast than Awakening's were, with their own generic quotes, class sets and supports (assuming both mechanics are still in, of course). I wouldn't be bothered if they don't have VAs (although the Awakening crew could just reuse Awakening's anyway).

Edited by NeonZ

I think awakening's DLC is really stupid from a pricing perspective sure it had a bunch of free content but as a whole, the marginal value of the product to number of chapters bought actually decreased the more you bought stuff, which I think is a horrible way to handle DLC. In comparison, assuming that he Japanese Website is correct in the content of the two versions, FE: If would have the same amount for less using its business model and the marginal value of the product goes up the more you buy from vanilla (the other version +3rd path = $70 total which is less than the price of all of awakening's content) which is great for two reasons, one, the consumer gets a larger end product and the producers gets more profit due to the nature of digital distribution.

As for the TCG codes, I simultaneously hate it and couldn't care less about it. Why? Its like the Einherjars from Awakening which were basically cosmetic DLC that barely impacted gameplay. I hate it because its exploitative of Fans, but companies in the media industry have been doing stuff like this for years.

Edited by Neoleo21

Overall I don't mind the dlc they announced so far.

The 3rd path is a bit bothering,but considering that they even went so far to make the original 2 paths seperate games,I'd say its safe to say that they wouldn't have done the 3rd path if they didn't do DLC.

And these starter packs dlcs sound more like really minor additions and more like a promotion for the card game than proper dlc.