Buying a Wii U

Thane

Tally-ho chaps.

I'm considering buying the Wii U, and I was just looking for some general input on what games make the console worth buying. Due to a lot of planned traveling and whatnot, I'll most likely only be able to use it in bursts, and I don't think I'll be able to gather a lot of people to play locally with during that time.

Xenoblade Chronicles X interests me, as do Super Smash Bros, the upcoming Legend of Zelda game and eventual Metroid games, while Bayonetta is not my cup of tea. Is there anything I have missed that I should take into consideration? Are there a lot of old games available online? I wouldn't mind getting in touch with a few older Fire Emblem games.

Thank you for your time and advice.

Hyrule Warriors, New Super Mario Bros. U, New Super Luigi U, Super Mario 3D World, and Captain Toad are all amazing! Must buy, imo.

As for VC games, if you haven't played The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap, it's available and the best handheld Zelda, imo. Yoshi's Island GBA is available as well, I think, and is a great port of the original SNES game, which is amazing too. ^^

Oh, since Wii games can now be downloaded as well, Super Mario Galaxy is a must too, imo! Incredible game and its sequel is even better. I don't know when SMG2 will be available though. Hopefully soon.

Edited by Anacybele

Unrelated, but I love your avatar

On topic, I believe Fire Emblem 7 (the one with Lyndis, Eliwood, and Hector) is on Wii U's Virtual Console. Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Bros., Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, and ZombiU are pretty good games to get for the console (the last game being pretty cheap, nowadays). Metroid Prime Trilogy is also purchasable online, which is absolutely fantastic. The Wii U's library is, unfortunately, a little shallow, but there are a lot of gems in it. I'd elaborate a bit more, but I need to head off to work. One thing, though: try not to buy the basic Wii U, if you can. 8GB is really, really small, and getting more gig can be quite the hassle, regarding external hard drives

Hyrule Warriors

I was going to recommend this, but judging from OP's comment on not liking Bayonetta that much, I refrained from listing any hack-and-slashes. Still, it's supposedly a great game

Oh, my bad, I really don't have any idea what Bayonetta plays like. >_<

I forgot about Mario Kart 8 though, I recommend that too!

Edited by Anacybele

Smash and Mario Kart are two that are definitely worth getting. Bayonetta's nice but if you're not a fan of hack and slashers, you won't really enjoy it or Hyrule. Warriors. ZombiiU's fun if you can pick it up cheap, it doesn't last very long though.

Thank you for your suggestions! Though I should've written that I own a Wii and have played most of the must-haves there, although not the original Xenoblade. I also have the Metroid Prime Trilogy, and I've been considering Hyrule Warriors because I do love me some Zelda, even though I know the gameplay is Dynasty Warriors.

Is Fire Emblem 7 the only one available? That's a shame, but they might add more later, and a lot of the upcoming games for the Wii U look nice.

Is Mario 3D World actually worth it even without the local co-op? Sadly, it doesn't look like Mario 64, one of my favorite games of all time.

Oh, and thank you, DodgeDusk, I love it as well! It's beyond adorable! I wish I knew who the artist is.

Edited by Thane

I think 3D World is totally worth it. I have nobody to play my games with, so I played it by myself and still couldn't put it down for a long time. You don't have to play as Mario either, if you don't want to, you have a choice of him, Luigi, Peach, or Toad right from the start. And later, you can unlock Rosalina to play as! There are also some side levels that you play as Captain Toad on (the basis for the actual Captain Toad game).

Edited by Anacybele

Mario 3D World and 64 are doing totally different things. 64 is a weird open ended world game, and 3D World is just a 3D platformer. Whether it's worth it is up to you I guess, but it's a great game in it's own right, albeit it's pretty easy.

Edited by Radiant head

3D world is definetely worth correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure it comes witht the Wii U along with Nintendo Land at least mine did.

Other recommendations not including Smash.

Hyrule Warriors

Bayonetta 2 (if it means anything I wasn't a fan either until I decided to try it out)

DKC Tropical Freeze

Pikmin 3

Mario Kart 8

Batman Arkham Asylum Armored Edition (can get really cheap now)

Shovel Knight (on the eshop for about $10)

Captain Toad Treasure Tracker

Zombie U seems quite liked among survival Horror enthusiasts. I mean, I like it too but I don't really have much experience with the genre. Still, having a Dark Soul stylish revival system, with death resulting in the previous PC being turned into a zombie and you keeping on playing as a new character, sounds pretty devilish to me.

The Pal shop features Pandora's Tower these days. Not sure if the game is any good but it's one of the Operation Rainfall games and since you seem to like Xenoblade, I figured it might be relevant to you.

Also, they actually uploaded Donkey Kong 64 now. "So they're finally here", indeed. And while I'm at it, it's worth mentioning the DK Country series. All 5 games are on the Wii U.

And while it doesn't really fit your situation all that well, my favourite Online Download is probably Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara. It features both of Capcom's old D&D Arcade titles. They feature tons of abilities for what is essentially a mere beat-em-up, be it a wide variety of spells, special moves, usable equipment and upgrades. But I really wish they would have updated the controls. There can go a lot of stuff wrong with fighting game commands in a game were nothing stops you from turning away from the enemy. Especially if you use them for dodging too. And then there is the fact that spells freeze the gameplay for all players until the casting is finished.

If you're gonna buy a Wii U, You should probably get the Smash Bros bundle because it comes with a GameCube Controller. Even if you're not interested in many Wii U games, the Virtual Console has lots of goodies, especially now that it has GBA and DS games.

Get DKC: Tropical Freeze, Zelda: The Wind Waker, Smash, maybe Mario Kart 8, Bayonetta 1+2

and Batman: Arkham City 'Armored Edition' (because it's one of the best action games of all time!).

Can't say I would recommend Hyrule Warriors, though.. unless you're into repetetive button mashing I wouldn't lay my hands on it. The story isn't canon anyways.

Edited by FierceRagnar

Tally-ho chaps.

I'm considering buying the Wii U, and I was just looking for some general input on what games make the console worth buying. Due to a lot of planned traveling and whatnot, I'll most likely only be able to use it in bursts, and I don't think I'll be able to gather a lot of people to play locally with during that time.

Xenoblade Chronicles X interests me, as do Super Smash Bros, the upcoming Legend of Zelda game and eventual Metroid games, while Bayonetta is not my cup of tea. Is there anything I have missed that I should take into consideration? Are there a lot of old games available online? I wouldn't mind getting in touch with a few older Fire Emblem games.

Thank you for your time and advice.

I recommend Smash, Super Mario 3DS World, Hyrule Warriors, Sonic Lost World (if thats your type of thing). Monster Hunter 3U is really solid as well for some online fun, it also has cross platform fun for 3DS people with 3 Ulitmate on there.

Bayonetta is my type of game so I'd recommend it anyways sorry :P. Pikmin 3, Mario Kart 8, Wind Waker HD, DKC Tropical Freeze, the new Shantae. As well as some others not coming to mind atm.

For upcoming games, we've got Xenoblade X, Zelda, Star Fox U, Mario Maker,

Edited by Jedi

Don't forget Yoshi's Wooly World!

Can't say I would recommend Hyrule Warriors, though.. unless you're into repetetive button mashing I wouldn't lay my hands on it. The story isn't canon anyways.

Why does it matter if the story is canon or not? That doesn't mean it's a bad game.

If we're allowed to disagree with recommendations though, I disagree with Zelda: The Wind Waker. Imo, while the remake improves things somewhat from the original GC game, it's still a pretty terrible game overall.

Edited by Anacybele

If we're allowed to disagree with recommendations though, I disagree with Zelda: The Wind Waker. Imo, while the remake improves things somewhat from the original GC game, it's still a pretty terrible game overall.

But The Wind Waker is the only Zelda game that even non-Zelda-fans tend to like. I would give it an 8/10 at the very minimum. If you're gonna call it "terrible", then I want to see you do a review of it and explain in depth what makes it suck. I'm studying game design, so it would be very useful.

But The Wind Waker is the only Zelda game that even non-Zelda-fans tend to like. I would give it an 8/10 at the very minimum. If you're gonna call it "terrible", then I want to see you do a review of it and explain in depth what makes it suck. I'm studying game design, so it would be very useful.

So I can't have a negative opinion unless I make a big long post about why I have said opinion? Can you explain why? I wouldn't mind explaining why I dislike the game myself, but this isn't really the thread for that. And I don't feel like making a whole new thread just to talk about why I hate a game.

Edited by Anacybele

Your options for bundling a console and a game together are:

- Splatoon bundle, which comes out at the end of next month. If you're into shooters and want a strong online multiplayer, I'd consider grabbing it or checking the game out.

- Super Mario 3D World. It's a lot of fun if you're into 3D platformers. If you can get more people to play it with you, it's great.

- Super Mario Bros. U. Imo, this is strictly inferior to 3D World

Mario Kart 8 and Zelda Wind Waker also have bundles but because they're so rare, you save yourself a lot of money buy buying a different bundle and the game separately. There's also no Smash bundle, which is weird but oh well.

Edited by stick

The Splatoon bundle is going to be Best Buy only though, just to point out.

Don't ask me what's with Nintendo and exclusive stuff lately, as I don't know. I can understand why they'd do this with Amiibos (shelf space and all), but console bundles now? :/ I'm not even interested in Splatoon at all and I think this is pretty dumb.

So I can't have a negative opinion unless I make a big long post about why I have said opinion? Can you explain why? I wouldn't mind explaining why I dislike the game myself, but this isn't really the thread for that. And I don't feel like making a whole new thread just to talk about why I hate a game.

That was just a suggestion. At the very least, you could provide more detail than this:

Imo, while the remake improves things somewhat from the original GC game, it's still a pretty terrible game overall.

While your opinion is clear, you gave no information on the game itself. You could, for example, try the following:

The Wind Waker has a ton of blue in it. Too much blue water, too much blue sky. 7.8/10

FierceRagnar didn't really explain why he dislikes Hyrule Warriors. Why do I have to provide a reason for disliking a game if he doesn't?

But he did. He stated that OP wouldn't like HW if he's not into button mashers.