2017 NFL Playoffs - Super Bowl LI Confirmed! Atlanta Falcons vs New England Patriots!

Lord Raven

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Losing your top receiver really puts a hurt on the offense. Especially when the other passing game options are: an old man that wears a hoodie, an inconsistent rookie, and Randall Cobb.

McCarthy really isn't a great coach to me honestly. Not getting Janis into the line up is a bit inexcusable, among other things.

EDIT: I mean, I'm pretty sure Devante Adams caught fewer than 50% of his targets. Why he was still playing significant snaps is beyond me.

Edited by chococoke

I'll respond to more when I get home, but I imagine Watson is a cheap veteran to compensate for not having Pitta or promising young man Boyle for next season. All we got is Gillmore and Williams and they've missed time due to injury. We also have like no cap space to work with, after the Flacco restructure. KO went to the Raiders for the love of god lol

But yeah losing Nelson was bad especially since he was next level great. In 2013 he looked good until the Bears fucked him up, and 2009-2012 he was pretty fucking good.

McCarthy is overrated but he's a good coach. I think he's a step above John Fox and Marvin Lewis and two steps above shit like Fischer.

Rodgers has two MVPs in the past five years, and the Packers have only missed the playoffs once during his career - 2008.

Making the playoffs or not is often a function of things like the defense, special teams, schedule etc. rather than a true measure of QB effectiveness. MVP is partially a popularity contest- which in essence is like saying 'Aaron Rodgers is elite because people believe he is'. This might be true because elite is such a nebulous term.

Drew Brees makes it work with questionable wide receiver talent- does anyone think Snead or Cooks is anywhere close to a top 10 receiver? Brady has also dealt with some sketchy WR talent in the past eight years. I just can't see Rodgers on the same level as those guys yet, given his inconsistency.

Hold on though.

Brees had Jimmy Graham and clearly slumped last year without him. Colston was also reliable and he had players like Sproles and Thomas for a while who were very versatile.

Brady had Gronk and Edelman/Welker and lead the greatest offense in NFL History with Randy Moss catching half his touchdowns.

Let us dispel this notion that both of them had crap for receivers. High quality receiving tight ends are great, and Brady has struggled without them or their Swiss Army knife in Edelman. When Gronk was injured they had Hernandez, and without him that offense looked just like the 2015 Packers in 2013. Before 2007 - the year when the Patriots truly started to invest in their offense - they weren't that great on offense outside of 2002.

2009 Patriots offense struggled like mad too.

Rodgers in 2015 didn't have a top target or a versatile player in his receiving corps.

And MVP is a popularity contest doesn't even discount the fact that Rodgers in 2011 had like 46 TDs to 6 interceptions, and a fantastic year in 2014. He also did very good in 2010 and 2012 and he was good for the half of 2013 he played. He has rarely missed significant time due to injury and has legit been Top 5 for the past 6 years - and the top QB in football for at least 3 of those years (2011, 2012, and 2014). His interception% is insanely low through those years too. His efficiency is seriously insane, and he's had one down year with mediocre to bad targets but let's not pretend that 2009 Brady/pre-2007 Brady, 2010 Manning, and 2014 Brees never happened either.

Edited by Lord Raven

I agree with Cynthia, because I mean, I think we can all agree that Peyton Manning was helped a lot by his defense. He's definitely not the reason the Broncos got the playoffs and then the Super Bowl.

Heyward-Bey is going to stay with us for at least another three seasons, sweetness. ^^ He didn't look too good in 2014, but he stepped it up a lot in 2015 and I hope he keeps it up!

Edited by Anacybele

Manning is a Dilfer-esque extreme case. I imagine their plan was to just limit turnovers in the playoffs, get the wide open guy and chew clock, then unleash the defense, and not any more.

The Packers have survived on a very good offense every year with some years having a great defense. 2015 is an outlier there. The QB has a big contribution to his offense. Therefore you can say more about Rodgers' ability to make the playoffs because he can lead an offense.

Brees didn't actually slump that much statistically though- he went from #4 in DYAR to #6(Rodgers was all the way down at #17). His best receiver in DYAR was #21(which was Cooks, Colston was all the way down at #45).

Watson was better than Rodgers and Ingram was better than Lacy or Starks, though neither were top 10. It's pretty amazing what Brees managed to do with a skeleton crew in New Orleans last year all and all, but A. No one cares about the Saints like they do about the Packers and B. They didn't win many games because their defense was historically bad.

Brady was the #1 QB in DYAR in '09, 4,314 yards 28 TDs over 65% completion. Are you thinking of a different year? I'm not really looking at pre 2008 Brady because then there are Brady years where Rodgers isn't even in the league.

2009 Brady was pretty mediocre from what I'm recalling - 08 was injury and 2010 was his MVP year. That offense wasn't anemic but it had a lot of issues namely towards the latter half of the season. That Patriots team was notable for its almost complete implosion which Randy Moss was a part of - and when Randy Moss was gone (I think he was traded mid year unless I'm remembering something wrong) they began to struggle on offense.

Let's not act like the Saints didn't put up some stinkers in 2014 without Graham. There were some 2014 Saints games where they looked like utter shit and they also coincided with injuries. This year was a good year otherwise, and Cooks/Watson were more reliable than like Cobb/Rodgers. Cobb is slow as fuck and the other dudes were Torrey Smith without the speed.

Jk, the trade is back on. And the Dolphins also moved down 5 spots in the draft. This is a terrible deal for Miami. They're hurting on cap space so they take on Maxwell's ridiculous contract? Sometimes I feel like I could be a better GM than half of the ones that have a job.

Except this is equivalent to the nerd taking on the bully's expensive ass girlfriend. Who was only attractive with safety help over the top anyway.

Wait what

Best line I've ever heard.

Except this is equivalent to the nerd taking on the bully's expensive ass girlfriend. Who was only attractive with safety help over the top anyway.

Wait what

so im guessing she aged poorly

Well, we've lost Alex Mack, Mitchell Schwartz, Travis Benjamin, and Tashaun Gipson. Mack and Schwartz (along with our best lineman, Joe Thomas, of course) helped make our o-line the only part of the team that was actually really good, and Benjamin and Gipson were solid all-around as well. In return, we've gotten exactly zero free agents coming our way. And, meanwhile, we have yet to cut Johnny Manziel.

Cleveland Browns, everybody!

And the Steelers get Ladarius Green from the Chargers. But Jesse James should still start in place of Miller. Leave the new guy in a backup position at least until he learns the system. But hey, this guy does good enough, we'll have some colorful weapons on our offense. Brown and Green. XD

Also, the Broncos are like drained at QB now lol.

Edited by Anacybele

Ladarius Green has a lot of upside and will probably get the chance to start immediately. He'll have a chance to put up some big numbers too.

The Browns? Honestly, no words at this point. They have enough cap space to try to retain both Mack and Schwartz. I could see letting Mack walk but playing hardball with Schwartz looks like a pretty poor move right now.

Meanwhile the Jets are going to start fielding 4 RB formations next season

Ladarius Green has a lot of upside and will probably get the chance to start immediately. He'll have a chance to put up some big numbers too.

The Browns? Honestly, no words at this point. They have enough cap space to try to retain both Mack and Schwartz. I could see letting Mack walk but playing hardball with Schwartz looks like a pretty poor move right now.

Meanwhile the Jets are going to start fielding 4 RB formations next season

No more Chris Ivory though, he's a Jaguar now. They might have overpaid a bit for him, but he complements the team well I think since the Jags struggled in the red zone and short yardage situations(Toby Gerhart is terrible). Should switch on/off with Yeldon pretty well and Bortles might not have to throw it around all the time.

Malik Jackson from the Broncos was a nice pickup too, having a pass rush would be nice.

Perhaps, we'll see.

The Browns? Honestly, no words at this point.

Yeah, this. :P Though I thought Manziel was cut a long time ago. I mean, the Browns were planning on it, weren't they?