2017 NFL Playoffs - Super Bowl LI Confirmed! Atlanta Falcons vs New England Patriots!

Lord Raven

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to wake up at 7 in the morning to see my team play a division rival.

What am I, a Californian?

Now you know the pain Hawaiians have to go through

Your commentary this game has been seriously on point, Ana. Bravo

I missed this post somehow, oops. xP But really? Thanks! I have been told that I would make a good NFL commentator. But sadly, that's not quite true. I mean, it might look like I could from you guys' standpoint, but you've never actually heard me speak... I've got a speech impairment (a stutter, to be precise) that would just slow things down. It embarrasses me too...

I missed this post somehow, oops. xP But really? Thanks! I have been told that I would make a good NFL commentator. But sadly, that's not quite true. I mean, it might look like I could from you guys' standpoint, but you've never actually heard me speak... I've got a speech impairment (a stutter, to be precise) that would just slow things down. It embarrasses me too...

That's sarcasm.

What is? Nothing in that post looks like sarcasm to me.

He was insulting you.

AT RISK FROM BEING AUTO-BANNED BY OUR RULER AND SAVIOUR DECEIT (the local mod), I SHALL NOT COMMENT ON YOUR COMMENTARY SKILLS.

I still see no insults or sarcasm. If it was one or both, it was less than obvious. Especially being just text. Also, if it WAS an insult, he'd get warned for it, because that would be flaming.

So, despite the loss, I think Vick played better than Flacco, and Bell played better than Forsett.

Vick made good rushing plays, he made a key block for Bell, and he never turned the ball over. Flacco, on the other hand, turned it over twice and had a worse pass completion rate. Though in his defense, he doesn't have any reliable receivers to throw to.

Both Bell and Forsett got at least 100 rushing yards, but Bell did it against a better (if maybe only slightly) defense and a defense that hadn't allowed a 100 yard rusher in like 30 games or so. Bell also got bottled up less.

Hopefully, we'll have Ben, Pouncey, Bryant, Shazier and a better kicker for the rematch later in the season. We can't have anymore big injuries.

Another thing on Flacco, I used to think that he was a better QB than Cam Newton, but lately, I don't think so anymore. SuperCam > Joey, no contest. The Ravens and Panthers have similar issues. That is to say, a lack of reliable receivers and some defensive injuries. But the Panthers are undefeated while the Ravens went 0-3. Cam Newton has basically been carrying the team on his shoulders with his rushing and improved passing. Flacco hasn't been able to shoulder his Ravens like that.

Edited by Anacybele

Sounds like tonight was brutal, too bad I couldn't watch. I'm gonna take a shot in the dark and say the AFC representative to the Superbowl is not coming out of the East.

Do you mean the AFC North or is this unrelated to the Thursday Night game?

I don't think things look great for either the Steelers or Ravens right now...on the other hand I dunno who I like for the last AFC wildcard spot at this point.

Edited by -Cynthia-

I have to agree... It sucks too, the Steelers were doing fine until Ben went down. -_- And we could be undefeated if we had Suisham...

Still don't get why you guys didn't pick-up Nick Novak.

The Texans just claimed him, happy he has a job. Since Novak has a 90% field goal rate completion. Compared to Scobee. He's also proven to be clutch, but he just doesn't have the leg anymore.

EDIT: RIP CHARGERS

[spoiler=Chargers Injury Report]pPZRUUA.jpg

Edited by ~Summer~

Another thing on Flacco, I used to think that he was a better QB than Cam Newton, but lately, I don't think so anymore. SuperCam > Joey, no contest. The Ravens and Panthers have similar issues. That is to say, a lack of reliable receivers and some defensive injuries. But the Panthers are undefeated while the Ravens went 0-3. Cam Newton has basically been carrying the team on his shoulders with his rushing and improved passing. Flacco hasn't been able to shoulder his Ravens like that.

Greg Olsen vs Crockett Gillmore on Tight Ends, and let's not get into the fact that we played the Broncos week 1 (very dangerous on defense), the Bengals (have a good defense as well), and the Raiders (put up 33 points). Flacco also doesn't run very much.

Further adding how our games came down to final possessions where our team gave up an 11 minute drive, 37 points, then 28 points. Meanwhile, the Jaguars and Saints don't have as good defenses as ones we've been playing and they've only allowed 9, 17, and 22 points.

Flacco so far has like 8-9% more completion as well, while Cam can at least keep defenses honest with his legs. Last night was the first time our run game did anything all season, too.

Flacco's definitely put us in position to win 3 times - 2 drops in the Denver game at the goalline, then putting our team ahead against the Raiders and Bengals last minute (digging us out of two 10 point deficits against the Raiders and going ahead of the Bengals twice in the fourth quarter) and our team allowing a quick touchdown drive to waste all that effort.

Luke McCown, blake Bortles, and Ryan Mallet (is that who's starting down in Houston? Jeez..) are also much worse QBs than the three we've faced. Carr, Manning, and Dalton are definitely much better.

After Steve Smith our receivers still aren't as good as the dudes Carolina has, because we have nobody that can keep defenses honest. They're big, slow guys without any quickness. Flacco's passes have always had to go straight into coverage and he's had to squeeze them in there tight, and without good play from the tackles (and a Center who is average at worst and average at best) it's hard to escape pressure and deliver a tight window pass.

He didn't look great last night but there was nothing to work with. After SSS, Campanaro and Gillmore we're starting rookie tight ends and UDFA wide receivers. This is not an exaggeration. The fact that Aiken and Brown are starting and seemed to be enough for Ozzie Newsome to not have cared about the position at all beyond drafting a dude in the first round (who STILL hasn't seen the field, not even in preseason) shows that Flacco made them look like they deserved to be on a roster in previous years when they probably didn't.

Edited by Lord Raven

Not sure I would say Carr is *much* better than anyone honestly. He's had a good two games (one against the Browns) and one where he was terrible and last season where Oakland was probably the worst offense in the league. I'd hold off on crowning him and the Raiders too frankly- they could easily be a flash in the pan due to a weak early schedule.

According to Football Outsiders DYAR last year, Carr ranked 37th among QBs. http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/qb2014

You can argue that Oakland had a bad o-line and lack of run game and receivers and whatnot which is probably true to some extent, but if he really played well you would think he could at least rank above like Geno Smith or Colt McCoy.

I'm not going to pretend that stat is meaningless but from watching him play he was definitely around a 20th rank QB at his worst. Carr passed the eye test by a good margin.

That also put Newton in at 34, and while Newton had issues (lots of passes where he failed to set his feet) he also played better than Colt McCoy. Both of them took their shots down the field.

Carr was playing pretty well last year but his YPA doesn't show it because they had nothing reliable at receiver.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/CarrDe02/gamelog/2014/

He had like 8 crappy games and 8 good or better games, and he doesn't seem to have regressed.

Edited by Lord Raven

37th best may not be entirely accurate, but I think I'll take a statistic measuring efficiency on every play vs. an 'eye test'. Jury's still out, he might have potential but two good games in a row(one against the Browns c'mon) does not a good QB make.

Still don't get why you guys didn't pick-up Nick Novak.

The Texans just claimed him, happy he has a job. Since Novak has a 90% field goal rate completion. Compared to Scobee. He's also proven to be clutch, but he just doesn't have the leg anymore.

I didn't know about him until recently, but you're right, I don't know why either...

Lord Raven, you forget that Kelvin Benjamin and Jerricho Cotchery are both injured. Carolina's receiving core outside of Greg Olsen is just as depleted as your Ravens. xP

I never mentioned either of them because I knew they were injured. Ginn is still preferable to what we have, because at least he's fast. Our fastest guy was a 36 year old Steve Smith, who went down with injury in the game, leaving us with Kamar Aiken who is Anquan Boldin-lite (slow, good hands, but cannot generate separation reliably).

Olsen is still way better than all of our Tight Ends and Wide Receivers right now when it comes to getting open and catching balls... Flacco also has 60 more attempts than Cam Newton and around 400 more yards and we're depleted to a point where our #2 receiver has only 8 receptions. Our only receiver outside of Steve Smith with 100 yards is Kamar Aiken, who got almost half of his receiving yards and receptions last night because he was relied on to be our #1 target, and he's still slow.

There is no way in hell a receiving corps of Ted Ginn Jr. and Greg Olsen is worse than what we've got, because they're at least dynamic.

I'd again like to point out the length of the game winning drives in the Bengals and Raiders games: Raiders had a 1:44 drive for a TD and our defense allowed a 12 second touchdown drive and a 2 minute touchdown drive against the Bengals in the final 5 or so minutes. You're kidding me when you say that the # of wins makes Newton better, especially since Flacco's win count since Cam joined the league blows Cam's out of the water. We've gone 13-5, 14-6, 8-8, 11-7, and 1-3 since Cam's been in the league (including playoffs - which is another thing cause Flacco's played in 8 playoff games since 2011) and Cam's at 7-9 7-9 12-5 8-9-1 and 3-0, with only 3 playoff games. And this is with our QB having only marginally better receiving threats for that duration.

Ginn may not be good but he's a hell of a lot more dynamic than what we have at WR sans Steve Smith. And Greg Olsen is one of the best Tight Ends out there.

All the 60 less attempts and 400 yards are meant to show are that either Cam Newton uses his legs a lot more than Flacco or he's passing less due to more running. I haven't properly looked at those stats either, but I highly doubt the Panthers have ever been behind long enough (given that they've surrendered basically half the number of points we have - and that's before taking last night's game into account) for him to actually keep passing.

Flacco's production, like any other standard pocket passer, will largely result from having "good enough" players at skill positions and a "good enough" offensive line neither of which we had yesterday due to a combined 15 pressures + sacks and a constant lack of ability for our receivers to get open. Before last night we were averaging 2.9 ypc on the ground.

Compare to the Panthers: averaging 4.0 ypc. They actually have 10 less rushing yards than we do right now - and that's taking into consideration the fact that we have played one more game.

Er, hasn't Flacco also been in the league longer than Newton? I think Flacco was drafted a couple years before him.

I didn't say the number of wins made Newton better, I'm saying that he's repeatedly winning with limited resources right now, while Flacco isn't.

I don't know what else to say to the rest of your post. Maybe I'm just too tired right now... It's pretty late, after all.

I'm talking about since 2011 when they were both playing in the league simultaneously.

Anyway, when Newton had significantly better resources than he has now he didn't win. So your point is either inconsistent or some sort of weird confirmation bias.

At the same time Newton's run game makes it clear that he probably has better resources right now, or at least a system that fits his skillset better.