Rhythm Game Opinions

Splodge

It seems like whenever I talk to anybody about rhythm games, nobody every seems to like them. In fact, I only personally know one person who enjoys them, and he really enjoys them.

I never really enjoyed rhythm games too terribly, but even still, I never understood the almost unanimous dislike for them, with the possible exception of DDR. They're not the most engaging or imaginative game genre ever created, granted, but they're fun enough if you let yourself enjoy them in small doses.

I enjoy rhythm games from time to time.

Mostly Donkey Konga, DDR, Rhythm Heaven, Taiko no Tatsujin, Elite Beat Agents/Ouendan.

The biggest problem though is definitely the difficulty barrier. Many of the higher difficulties in rhythm games demand near precise perfection of hitting the beat at the right time which turns off a lot of players and many of them consider that to make the game very unaccessible to them. I personally for the life of me cannot play any DDR difficulty that is 8step difficulty or higher. 7 is my limit and even then, I get tired really easily doing so.

Rhythm Thief and the Emperor's Treasure is a great rhythm game for the Nintendo 3DS. Its only really major downsides are that the story campaign is rather short and that some of the rhythm minigames require gyro controls. It's going to be hard to find a physical copy of it though you can download it.

There's a VERY small spot of people here who play Beatmania IIDX - the game that makes you hate and doubt yourself before you pass the relatively easy songs. It's partly masochism and partly ambition, and I've seen plenty of people who cave in and make the game "easier" by using auto-scratch/5-key (out of seven). Kinda wish this subset wasn't the same one that plays the exact same irritating songs, so the top 20 chart wouldn't be so awful, but I digress :P:

Rhythm games range drastically in quality and difficulty. One drumming game from some overseas company who I've since forgotten had a timing window so large that I could pass a couch through it. There's some Taito game involving shooting notes that I'm not fond of, because the amount of time the notes stay on-screen isn't constant. Pump it Up is an amazing idea with pretty good execution, but it punishes people who can't bend their knees. The ice cream game in Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep isn't bad, until my PSP randomly asks me whether or not I want to quit the game.

tl;dr - Quality all over the board and self-inflicted pain means that it appeals to a very small subset of people

My band and I have recently started playing guitar hero again, and it's actually a lot of fun. (Yes, musicians playing plastic instruments instead of the real thing...)

Most rhythm games lost a lot of the fun and challenge when I started learning to play music, but it's still fun with a bunch of people dicking about and drinking, which is the optimal way to play guitar hero.

I do have a soft spot for the games though, as rhythm games are a large part of me getting into music, which I'm now doing a degree in, so there's that...

And then there's super hexagon. Fuck that game...

I was pretty into Stepmania/DDR/R21 etc etc back in the day. The biggest problem I had with it was undoubtedly the music, and while you could download songs and songpacks from bemanistyle, they usually were dogshit quality. Luckily for me, that all changed when I found out about the R21Freak forums.

I love rhythm games! I recently started obsessing over Final Fantasy Theatrhythm: curtain call, but I tend to fancy any kind of musical game. They have a charm not every person can appreciate, thought, so I'm not surprised if they're not so popular.

After playing Love Live!: School Idol Festival(and missing a free UR Nozomi card) I warmed up to rhythm games. You know that Miku game coming out? I want it.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to feel really stupid but I have to admit I really like the Hatsune Miku rhythm games

the're really easy to get into because easy mode only requires the use of 3 buttons

and if you decide to get into the really hard difficulty you're going to need a wrist brace.

Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! is the best rhythm game ever. My only regret over this game is letting my ex keep it when we split. I don't really care for much rhythm games, but the good music and over-the-top storytelling with Ouendan really called to me.

Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! is the best rhythm game ever. My only regret over this game is letting my ex keep it when we split. I don't really care for much rhythm games, but the good music and over-the-top storytelling with Ouendan really called to me.

so do you like the international version Elite Beat Agents?

I didn't care for it nearly as much, no. I think mostly that was the music selection. All of the music of the Japanese release was new to me with no associations, whereas EBA was a lot of popular music that I'd already heard (and in some cases, didn't care for), so it was harder for me mentally to get into the game.

I didn't care for it nearly as much, no. I think mostly that was the music selection. All of the music of the Japanese release was new to me with no associations, whereas EBA was a lot of popular music that I'd already heard (and in some cases, didn't care for), so it was harder for me mentally to get into the game.

I personally enjoyed them both equally. Granted my only problem with the first game was the inability to skip the intro scenes (not the comic book part) but that was fixed in both EBA and Ouendan 2. It's too bad the developers have been doing nothing but bland karaoke games after their contract ended.

Elite Beat Divas are best girls