Top 5 Infantry Units (that don't run utility)

Espinosa

We often talk about the effectiveness of characters and how being mounted, being able to refresh a unit or warp them, sometimes with infinite range, matters the most in certain context.

I thought it'd be interesting if we could discuss which non-mounted combat units are the finest the series has to offer. Please abstain from voting for units who eventually promote to a cavalry class (e.g. Eliwood and Eirika) or a class known for its utility (like Lara in FE5). If reclass options permit this character to go mounted or take up utility duties, take only the foot builds into account (e.g. no Dark Flier Avatar or Griffon Rider Panne). Characters who can still run utility but are invaluable thanks to combat, like Asvel with his access to staves in FE5, to give one example.

I'm pretty curious to hear opinions of players of all playstyles; I'm sure we can find dramatically different lists depending on how you play. You can extend your list to a top 10 if you feel like going deeper (since there's quite a lot to choose from).

Sothe also doubles as a utility unit in maps with chests/hidden items (like 1-4).

Rutger from FE6 is a clear choice. FE10 Ike is a good combat foot unit, particularly in Part 4. Maybe Barst from FE11.

Unsure if laguz(and other shifters I guess) are considered 'infantry'.

I dunno, didn't put too much thought into this list after the first three.

1. Alm

2. Rutger

3. Marth (FE1)

4. Dagda

5. Harken

Robin is broken even when ignoring reclass to a mount and is easily the best foot unit in the entire series.

Edited by Irysa

Yeah, they are clearly the best foot units in the game. They're jus so overshadowed by the mounts that nobody mentions them. Even FE5 Sety is broken. Rutger, Canas, Lute, FE9 Boyd/Tormod, FE10 Ike/Nolan/Shinon, FE11-12 don't count because anyone can mount (albeit with limits).

Oh wait, I forgot Wendy and Sophia! And Lyre! I'm an idiot! They're obviously the best! Oh and Meg too.

Yeah, they are clearly the best foot units in the game. They're jus so overshadowed by the mounts that nobody mentions them. Even FE5 Sety is broken. Rutger, Canas, Lute, FE9 Boyd/Tormod, FE10 Ike/Nolan/Shinon, FE11-12 don't count because anyone can mount (albeit with limits).

Oh wait, I forgot Wendy and Sophia! And Lyre! I'm an idiot! They're obviously the best! Oh and Meg too.

Although chapters 4 and 5 of 0% growths consist of levin steamrolling everything.

I honestly don't know if I'd count Robin or Morgan, though. Mainly because of the fact that they can gain mounts, utility, or both through reclass. Same with Pent, seeing as he's equal parts utility and combat, basically.

So, I'd probably say Raven (FE7), Shanan (FE4), Rutger (FE6), Sothe (FE10), and Boyd (FE9).

Edited by Just call me AL

FE1 Tomas

FE1 Douga

FE1 Dolph

FE1 Macellan

FE1 Roger

FE1 Beck

FE1 Jake

FE1 Tiki

FE2 Robin

FE2 Atlas

FE3 Sheema

FE3 Tiki

FE3 Warren

FE3 Bantu

FE4 Tiltyu

FE4 Roddlebad

FE4 Badney

FE4 Assaelo

FE4 Arden

FE4 Hannibal

FE5 Ronan

FE5 Miranda

FE5 Shanam

FE6 Sophia

FE6 Wendy

FE7 Wil

FE7 Nino

FE7 Wallace

FE7 Karla

FE8 Dozla

FE8 Marisa

FE8 Ewan

FE8 Amelia

FE8 Rennac

FE8 Knoll

FE8 Neimi

FE8 Gilliam

FE9 Rolf

FE9 Ena

FE10 Meg

FE10 Untransformed Lyre

FE10 Transformed Lyre

FE11 Macellan

FE11 Maria

FE11 Tomas

FE11 Lorenz

FE11 Samson

FE11 Dolph

FE11 Ymir

FE12 Ymir

FE12 Sheema

FE12 Samson

FE12 Bantu

FE12 Tomas

FE12 Astram

FE12 Dolph

FE12 Macellan

FE:A Donnel

Best Units Ever! <3

But seriously Rutger Asvel Levin!Sety FE9 Boyd and FE12 Knight!MU are the best footies

Edited by Moishe Oofnik

Although chapters 4 and 5 of 0% growths consist of levin steamrolling everything.

If Dew can count, he can solo the Cross Knights! (as Shin proved in a draft). Not 0% mind you but still!

But I generally agree with Rutger, Asvel, etc.

Edited by Jedi

FE5 has a whole bunch of these ... Othin, Asvel, Mareeta, Sety, Galzus, Dagdar ...

You also get a handful of OP combat infantry units in FE4 gen 2 ... Shanan, Noish!Swordtwins and Levin!Sety mainly though Hawk and various incarnation of Faval also have the ability to overkill just about everything that doesn't have the awareness skill attached to it.

Edit: Everybody can solo the crossknights with 10 Mag + Pursuit

Edited by Yojinbo

I really like thracia 776 ecause they balanced the game such that mounts don't roflstomp everything, like in many other games. Course, it's Asvel in this game.

Instead of mounts is prf guys PCC and the most important thing STAFFS because why play the chapter when you can just skip it

Edit:

I really love thracia 776 but its not balanced...

At ALL

Edited by Moishe Oofnik

Fire Emblem 2: Teeta. Why? At lvl 4 she learns a healing magic which heals all your units on the entire map. She loses 12 HP for this but you can keep another healer close to her. Makes every chapter a breeze once you have it, as your units will permanently have full hp, no matter how far away they are. She's not that great for combat, but neither is any other unit in FE2 other than Alm, so it's okay.