FE3 or FE4?

Nave

I heard FE3 Book 1 was basically just FE1.

How long is Book 1 actually?

It's abridged FE1/11 basically. Around 20 chapters if I recall.

Book 2 feels like a full new game meanwhile.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard FE3 Book 1 was basically just FE1.

How long is Book 1 actually?

I see. I'll make a back-up save then. Thank you!

It cuts out around 5 chapters, and several characters. If you want to experience the story, fe 11 is probably the better choice.

It cuts out around 5 chapters, and several characters. If you want to experience the story, fe 11 is probably the better choice.

Most of the chapters it cut were filler and most of the characters were either redundant (Roger, Wrys, Darros) or would not have worked in FE3 because of gameplay changes(Jake, Beck). I wish people would stop acting like the content FE3 cut is a big deal.

Edit: FE3 also changes maps compared to FE1/11. Some of the map changes I feel are improvements, such as adding a shortcut to the village in the Knorda Chapter.

Edited by #RR. shinpichu

The story and mechanics are much better in FE4, the only reason I can't fully enjoy FE4 is the fact that the maps are way too big and it takes way too long to finish a single chapter which leads to a problem if you loose a character near the end of a battle.

FE3 is more fun imo because most maps can be finished around 30 or so minutes.

The story and mechanics are much better in FE4, the only reason I can't fully enjoy FE4 is the fact that the maps are way too big and it takes way too long to finish a single chapter which leads to a problem if you loose a character near the end of a battle.

It has the most gracious save system before Radiant Dawns though.

I won't give advice, since I've only played FE3 so far. I enjoy it, but I'm sure I'll enjoy FE4 too once I get around to playing it.

FE3 is definitely more traditional in gameplay; from what I know FE4 is a more unique experience.

I don't need to have played FE4 to say that it's aged better than FE3 though (though FE3 has still aged far better than the NES games and is well playable in all regards).

Most of the chapters it cut were filler and most of the characters were either redundant (Roger, Wrys, Darros) or would not have worked in FE3 because of gameplay changes(Jake, Beck). I wish people would stop acting like the content FE3 cut is a big deal.

Edit: FE3 also changes maps compared to FE1/11. Some of the map changes I feel are improvements, such as adding a shortcut to the village in the Knorda Chapter.

Cut content is still cut content, no matter how good or bad the decision to cut it was.

If you want the FE1 experience, play FE1.

If you want the FE3 book 1 experience, play FE3 book 1.

If you want the FE11 experience, play FE11.

They may be remakes, but they're still different games and play differently.

FE4 is probably the easiest fire emblem in the series, so I'd go with that one. Being able to save on the beginning of each turn is...silly.

8 and 9 are much easier, 4 isn't easy when you hardly know how it works lol.

8 and 9 are much easier, 4 isn't easy when you hardly know how it works lol.

Even with 0 idea of what you're doing, it won't take long to figure most of it out due to the save option. Besides the substitute units in 2nd gen are good enough to win the game, especially with the 3 strong unscrewup-able units: Leif, Aless and Celice. In 8 and 9 you have to redo everything if you make a mistake, 4 has you redo a turn.

Even with 0 idea of what you're doing, it won't take long to figure most of it out due to the save option. Besides the substitute units in 2nd gen are good enough to win the game, especially with the 3 strong unscrewup-able units: Leif, Aless and Celice. In 8 and 9 you have to redo everything if you make a mistake, 4 has you redo a turn.

Hmmm... I wouldn't be too sure of that.

Tell that to every one who missed holsety, the pursuit ring, and all of the secret substitute events. Also, it is surprisingly easy to save yourself into a situation it which you have to lose someone.

I've seen some mention abusing the arenas, well I'm here to tell you in FE3 Ice Dragons show up from time to time

seriously who the f*ck is letting in all the dragons

8 and 9 are way easier than 4. Especially 9, that's the easiest in the series.

FE8, Ephraim chapter 11 would like to have a word with you. That chapter alone was harder than the whole FE4 game. FE4 was tedious, but not hard. The only difficult spot was dealing with the 12 german numbers serving Julius. Julius himself doesn't move, which makes that boss battle boring. And once you get Julia(it's really easy getting her) and read what they say in the cutscenes, you will find her Narga tome with which Julius is a non-factor. Your opinion if you think FE4 is hard, but I found it easy. Won't argue about FE9, that was easy, although much less tedious.

Hmmm... I wouldn't be too sure of that.

Too sure of what exactly? Being able to figure everything out? Well not everything but enough to beat the game easily.

Tell that to every one who missed holsety, the pursuit ring, and all of the secret substitute events. Also, it is surprisingly easy to save yourself into a situation it which you have to lose someone.

The legendary weapons are missable if you don't pair up, I agree. But do you even need them? Aless, Celice and Altena will always have theirs, which is enough. Especially with how broken Mystletainn is with the crit. Tornado should be strong enough to replace Holsety if you didn't pair up Levin with someone who can use it.

I'm pretty sure the event items can be gotten later through drop/shop, and even if not, it's not a big deal. I didn't even take the event items, it felt like cheating as you'd never figure it out yourself. Go stand with one specific unit on one tile in a huge map where you have a lot of things to do and the event tiles aren't along the way.

And you got 3 places where you can save, you can easily correct anything with going 2-3 turns to the past, at least I never screwed up that hard.

In chapter 1, I saved myself in a situation where pretty much the only way out was to let Sigurd and Cuan fight everyone and have everyone else run away.

Now I make a back-up save, just in case.

I've seen some mention abusing the arenas, well I'm here to tell you in FE3 Ice Dragons show up from time to time

It's still abusable as long as you don't get really unlucky. Dragons have really low accuracy.

Edited by #RR. shinpichu

Too sure of what exactly? Being able to figure everything out? Well not everything but enough to beat the game easily.

Exactly. I can't expect someone who has no idea of how the game even plays to just pick up the know-how on how to trivialize the game by playing it; it's one of the more guide dang it-heavy FEs, if not THE most so, in the series.

The same person who let the dogs out

FE8, Ephraim chapter 11 would like to have a word with you. That chapter alone was harder than the whole FE4 game. FE4 was tedious, but not hard. The only difficult spot was dealing with the 12 german numbers serving Julius. Julius himself doesn't move, which makes that boss battle boring. And once you get Julia(it's really easy getting her) and read what they say in the cutscenes, you will find her Narga tome with which Julius is a non-factor. Your opinion if you think FE4 is hard, but I found it easy. Won't argue about FE9, that was easy, although much less tedious.

One chapter doesn't instantly make an entire game harder, much less one chapter that you take only one half of the time. Plus, you still have Duessel, Seth, Cormag, Vanessa and Tana to take care f them, along with staffbot for torching. It's not as bad. Fe4 blind can be tough in parts like Blume and Miletos castle. Dead lords are trivial, Levin!Sety or Arthur can take care of them.

One chapter doesn't instantly make an entire game harder, much less one chapter that you take only one half of the time. Plus, you still have Duessel, Seth, Cormag, Vanessa and Tana to take care f them, along with staffbot for torching. It's not as bad. Fe4 blind can be tough in parts like Blume and Miletos castle. Dead lords are trivial, Levin!Sety or Arthur can take care of them.

Blume is incredably dificult if you don't know to use shannon or levin!arthur. Melgen is also a tough segment.

As for the dead lords, naga!julia is a thing by that point, (and first time players are likely to have her too.)

Blume is incredably dificult if you don't know to use shannon or levin!arthur. Melgen is also a tough segment.

As for the dead lords, naga!julia is a thing by that point, (and first time players are likely to have her too.)

Huh I don't remember Blume being an issue when I played it. Did you mean the first or second time you fight him? Both have him standing on a castle IIRC, so you can defeat him eventually. About the dead lords, I don't think you can pass through to the castle you have to capture for Julia without them attacking you. I'm pretty sure I tried that.

True, it doesn't. But it's definitely harder than any chapter I had to face in FE4. I was strictly against using prepromotes when I played the ship, which made things frustrating enough. But in hindsight, it would probably have been easy with them, but that's no fun. I don't recall having it hard at Blume or Miletos, but I remember Musar from chapter 9. His squad is very powerful and he himself has a Tornado, the most broken normal weapon in the game. I had Corple as Levin's son and he wasn't that great at using Holsety sadly.