[FE7] Battle Sprites, Class Creation, and Text Box Function

Avril Lavigne

I realize that one of the three things have nothing to do with the others, but they're all bothering me and basically some of the last things I still don't know how to use (properly). Just hoping to kill three birds with one stone here as well.

Problem #1: Battle Sprites

Yes, I know how to make Battle Sprites, sort of how the battle script works. Let's just say I have tested a demo sprite and it works.

Now I'm in FEditor. I decided this time I didn't actually want to replace my sprite with an existing sprite. So I upped the maximum index and placed one of them there.

(If the photo here isn't large, and you have to click on it to view it, someone please also teach me how you guys add photos in a display-able view, so that you don't have to click on it. Everyone else seems to know but me)

I don't need to show you my sprite, cause it works...so far. And you know below this is just the colour palette, etc.

post-11188-0-75339100-1430271388_thumb.png

As you can see, my Input Index is at "A3". Which did not exist before. Now I want to use "A3" for a class, but don't know how.

Before I replaced Eliwood's sprite with it and it worked, but this time I want a new sprite.

I realize that these sprites correspond to an existing class already (which leads into my next problem), but I want to add a completely new class to my game without having to replace the existing ones. Is this possible?

Problem #2: Class Creation

I know how to insert standing map sprites and moving map sprites and what not (actually haven't made my own yet, just inserted ones from other games).

I notice that there are pointers for each class in Nightmare. Here's an example.

post-11188-0-98410700-1430271998_thumb.png

I'm assuming these pointers are specific to Eliwood's class only. If I were to copy and paste them elsewhere then another class' battle sprites would be the same. Am I right? Because some classes do not have access to a battle scene. Like "Fallen Ninian", or even Merlinus do not have this feature. And I'm assuming my new class would be limited to this if I didn't change the pointers.

If I were to create my own class, without replacing an existing sprite or class in the "Empty" sections of the Class Editor module, what would my pointers be? How would the game be able to access these completely new sprites without me replacing something? Is it possible?

Problem #3: Text Box Function

This has nothing to do with the last two problems, but it sure does piss me off. The time I've wasted to make this work makes me really sad. But whatever, what's done is done.

This is an Event Assembler question. I have tried using text boxes (like the ones that look like a scroll/the ones that pop up during the tutorial) and when I write them into my event, they are there, but the game acts as if they aren't. What I'm saying is that other events will continue to occur even though there is a text box floating on the screen. So I'm trying to figure out a way that this text box will become more of a focus rather than a distraction--which is what the game is making it out to be.

Here it is just chillin' on the player phase sequence.

post-11188-0-86937600-1430272818_thumb.png

And even when I want to use it at the very end of a chapter, it'll still float on the file save menu as if it's not even important.

Here's my EA.txt with the text box if you need it to help me out.

Opening_event:
OOBB
LOU1 Good
ENUN
NCONVOS
TEX6 0x1 [7,5] 0x858
RETB
_0x89
ENDA

How do I get the text box to become uninterrupted and become an actual part of the event?

I also really appreciate everyone's help!

Edited by Avril Lavigne

1. yes, please have a look at this thread on how to expand you nightmare modules: http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=25393

2. once again, you need to expand your tables and modules. have a go at replacing a class before you make a new one. consult the ultimate tutorial for this.

3. you're missing some sort of code, like RETB or something like that that makes the text box go away.

(If the photo here isn't large, and you have to click on it to view it, someone please also teach me how you guys add photos in a display-able view, so that you don't have to click on it. Everyone else seems to know but me)

you need to upload the image to some website like imgur, then you can embed the image like

(img)link(/img)

replacing the parenthesis with brackets [ ] and link with the direct link (should have the file extension at the end of the link)

a lot of websites actually give this to you and you can literally copy and paste directly to the forum

Now I want to use "A3" for a class, but don't know how.

Before I replaced Eliwood's sprite with it and it worked, but this time I want a new sprite.

so each class has an "animation pointer" and each "animation pointer" points to, what else, animation data which is structured like:

u8 weaponType

bool weaponSpecific

u16 animationIndex

so if you inserted a sword animation at 0xA3, you'd say 00 (sword type) 00 (weaponSpecifc = false) A3 00 (index)

there's a nightmare module for this called the custom animation editor

If I were to create my own class, without replacing an existing sprite or class in the "Empty" sections of the Class Editor module, what would my pointers be? How would the game be able to access these completely new sprites without me replacing something? Is it possible?

so there's another module called the misc sprite editor (i think) which allows you to edit the pointers to map sprite data so you insert a map sprite at some free space, then you change the pointer to point to that data in the class index you want

Problem #3: Text Box Function

How do I get the text box to become uninterrupted and become an actual part of the event?

so I'm not 100% sure this is the problem but I'm pretty sure you need a REMA and not the other thing (I'm not that good at events)

I also really appreciate everyone's help!

replies in bold

Cheers

you need to upload the image to some website like imgur, then you can embed the image like

(img)link(/img)

replacing the parenthesis with brackets [ ] and link with the direct link (should have the file extension at the end of the link)

a lot of websites actually give this to you and you can literally copy and paste directly to the forum

Now I want to use "A3" for a class, but don't know how.

so each class has an "animation pointer" and each "animation pointer" points to, what else, animation data which is structured like:

u8 weaponType

bool weaponSpecific

u16 animationIndex

so if you inserted a sword animation at 0xA3, you'd say 00 (sword type) 00 (weaponSpecifc = false) A3 00 (index)

there's a nightmare module for this called the custom animation editor

so there's another module called the misc sprite editor (i think) which allows you to edit the pointers to map sprite data so you insert a map sprite at some free space, then you change the pointer to point to that data in the class index you want

What is in blue answered my question. I looked at the module involving custom battle animations, and I believe I understand what to place where in Nightmare. Thank you.

Now, the red, what didn't answer me/was fully understood. So I understand how a map sprite works--that isn't exactly what I was asking. I was asking which animation pointer do I use?

However, I see there is a pointer in the "Custom Battle Animation" module in nightmare. So I believe this is what I use for my Battle Animation Pointer in the "Class Editor" module. Correct me if I'm wrong (I'm not testing this out yet because I'm currently in the midst of creating another map at the moment) or I will update when I get the time.

Thank you again.

TEX6 has a helper routine you need to call immediately after using TEX6

TEX6 0xID [0,0] 0xTextID
    _ASM0x42 0x83181

This solved my problem. Thank you very much.

you're right about the custom battle animation editor - basically, if you change the entry FFF800 then that is what you put in for the battle animation in the class editor

So I understand how a map sprite works--that isn't exactly what I was asking. I was asking which animation pointer do I use?

you insert a map sprite at some free space, then you change the pointer to point to that data in the class index you want

so, these pointers point to the animation data to use so you go to the index of the desired class and change the pointer to what you want the map sprite to be; if you want it to use some other map sprite in the game, change the pointer to point to that data (which is essentially a copy &paste within the editor), if it's custom or imported from some other game, you insert it to some address (let's say 0x8D50000), in the editor you'd do the same thing but put 0x8D50000 instead of whatever else